This post is intended to contain all key information on Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane, and Individual Lightning Lane attractions. If you find any errors, have suggestions for additional information to include, or make note of any changes to processes and procedures, reply in the thread below and I will update this lead post.
Genie is a free plug-in to the My Disney Experience (MDE) app that allows you to build an itinerary in advance and adjust your plans as you go. Genie offers suggestions for attractions or meals as your day progresses, which you can add to your itinerary or ignore.
Lightning Lane (LL) is a special entrance for those who have paid for / received the privilege (more on how below) that bypasses the standby queue and requires only a short wait to board the ride. Most Lightning Lane queues join the standby queue before any pre-shows; however, some elements of the queue may be bypassed.
Genie+ costs $15 per person per day + 6.5% tax and allows each guest to make a limited number of reservations to use the Lightning Lane on select attractions. Below is the list of eligible attractions for each park:
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Festival of Fantasy Parade
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- The Barnstormer
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea — Journey of the Little Mermaid
- See Cinderella and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- See Princess Tiana and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- See Mickey at Town Square Theater
- A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King
- Expedition Everest
- Feathered Friends in Flight
- Finding Nemo: The Big Blue … and Beyond!
- It’s Tough To Be a Bug
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Na’vi River Journey
- The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
- Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty and the Beast — Live on Stage
- Disney Junior Play and Dance!
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours
- Tower of Terror
- Toy Story Mania
- See Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Frozen Ever After
- Journey Into Imagination With Figment
- Living With The Land
- Mission: SPACE
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- The Seas With Nemo and Friends
- Turtle Talk With Crush
- No Advance Purchase Guests may no longer purchase Genie+ in advance for the duration of a multi-day ticket at WDW.
- *Day-of Purchase Guests may purchase Genie+ day-by-day beginning at midnight (or any time after that) on the day of your visit. You can only buy one day at at time.
- First LL Reservation All guests may apply for your first LL reservation at 7am on the day of your visit
- Return Time The 1-hour return window assigned for your LL reservation will be the next available time (similar to old Fastpass / Maxpass); you may not select a later time. LL reservations are distributed sequentially until all times are gone.
Additional LL Reservations A guest may apply for additional LLs at the earliest of:
a) Once you tap in (at the second tap point, if applicable) at your most recently booked LL attraction
b) The end time of the return window (excluding the grace period) of your most recently booked LL attraction
c) The later of:
- Two hours after you obtain your most recent LL
- Two hours after official opening (i.e., not the early entry opening) of the park where the LL selection is located (your first LL selection can be either where you are starting your day or where you are hopping to after 2pm). Note: If you are able to use your first LL (e.g., at AK) before the opening of the park where your second LL is located (e.g., at Epcot), the 2-hour window for your second LL will start at the opening of the 2nd LL’s park.
- Limitation on Stacking Early on in the roll out of Genie+, it was possible to “stack” LL reservations using certain loopholes and hacks. Disney has since plugged the loopholes. As a result, you can only receive a new LL reservation upon tapping in for your most recently booked LL. So, for example, if you booked a 2pm LL for SDD at 7am, and a 12pm LL for ToT at 10am, you could obtain a 3rd LL reservation upon tapping in at ToT but NOT after tapping in at SDD since it is no longer your most recently booked LL. See this post for an example.
- Park Hopping If you plan to hop, you may apply for a LL reservation at the other park(s), but you are limited to return windows after 2pm (all regular hopping rules still apply).
- Attraction Repeats You may NOT receive a repeat LL reservation for any attraction within the same day. (There is no limitation on re-riding using the standby line.)
- No Show If you do not tap in for your LL reservation (no show), it is considered used once the return window closes and you CANNOT get a repeat LL reservation for that attraction
- Cancelling a Reservation You may cancel a LL reservation obtained through Genie+ (not the case with ILL - see below). You CANNOT currently “modify” a LL reservation time, but while cancelling you are given the option to select the same attraction again at the new available time (which has a similar effect as modifying)
- Limits per Day Other than the above, there is no hard limit on the number of LL reservations you can get in a single day, other than the # of attractions in the park (if not hopping) and the constraints of time and subject to availability.
- Grace Period Return times are enforced similar to FPP: 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after the 1-hour window are generally ok (green light at taps); any time before or after the grace period is subject to CM approval. Note: Recently the grace period with green taps appears to have been extended to 90 minutes after the end of the return window. Don’t rely on this, but if you are late, it’s worth tapping in.
- Attraction Closed If an attraction is temporarily closed during your window, the return time for your LL will generally be extended to the end of the day
- Overlapping Reservations If you attempt to book LL and/or ILL reservations that overlap or conflict with each other or with dining or other plans, MDE will give you a warning, but not prevent you from proceeding. (Limitations on conflicting dining reservations still apply.)
- High Demand LLs Slinky Dog Dash is one of the highest demand LL reservations, and has run out early in the day
- Stacking Reservations You may hold multiple LLs at a time. For example, if you are arriving at 4pm on a day with 9am park opening, you could obtain one LL reservation at 9am with a 4pm return time, another at 11am with a 5pm return time, and another at 1pm with a 6pm return time (all subject to availability of those attractions and return times). See graphic illustrating this concept at this post. However, note the limitation on stacking in Rule 6 above.
- Lapsed Reservation You can reserve a new LL when the return window closes for a previous LL reservation (ie, it is considered “used”), but you can still use the lapsed LL in the 15-minute grace period.
- Staggered Openings You can take advantage of staggered park openings. For example, if your first park is Epcot with an 10am opening, but you are hopping to HS with a 9am opening, you could obtain your first LL for an attraction at HS at 7am with a 2pm or later return time, then you would be eligible to obtain a second LL reservation at 11am (2 hours after the 9am opening of HS), not 12pm (2 hours after the 10am opening of Epcot), because your first LL reservation is for that park.
- Refresh Method Genie+ will often show you more availability if you continue to refresh the app while looking for availability for a specific attraction, as demonstrated in this post.
- Drop Times As with the old Fastpass Plus system, Disney will often add additional LL availability at certain times during the day. See this thread for details, including the current drop times.
- Order of Priority Generally the order of priority for LL attractions at each park is as follows:
- MK: JC > PPF/SM > BTMRR > HM > Splash > WtP > PotC > (everything else)
- AK: KS/NRJ > DINO > EE > KRR > FotLK > FFiF > ITtbaB
- HS: SDD > MFSR > ToT > RNRC > MMRR > TSM > AS2 > (MV3D, ST, Shows, M&Gs)
- EP: TT/FEA > Soarin > MS > (TTwC, Seas, SE, LwtL, Imag, Pixar)
Separate from Genie+, Individual Lightning Lane (ILL) selections can be purchased through MDE for a variable amount (plus tax) for the attractions listed below. Observed prices so far are included in parentheses - these are subject to change daily and are expected to increase with crowd levels. Disney has said that $7 is the minimum and $15 is currently the maximum, though this is also likely to change eventually with inflation or other adjustments.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ($10-12)
- Flight of Passage ($11-14)
- Rise of the Resistance ($15)
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind ($14-17)
- Genie+ vs ILL You DO NOT have to purchase Genie+ to purchase ILL selections (but you may use both services).
- Limits per Day Guests are limited to 2 ILL purchases per day (across all parks).
- Duplicates Guests may NOT select the same attraction for both of their ILL selections.
- No Minimum Guests may purchase only one ILL in a day (not required to purchase two).
- On-Site Purchase On-site guests are eligible to purchase BOTH of their ILLs beginning at 7am on the day of their visit.
- Off-Site Purchase Off-site guests are eligible to purchase BOTH of their ILLs beginning when the park they want to reserve an ILL in officially opens. On-site guests may NOT purchase ILLs on behalf of off-site guests in the same party until park opening.
- Return Time Guests may select the time of their ILL (1-hour window) for any time during the operating day, subject to availability (similar to ADRs).
- Park Hopping If you plan to hop, you may purchase an ILL at the other park(s), but you are limited to return windows after 2pm (all regular hopping rules still apply).
- Cancellations There are no cancellations, modifications, or refunds allowed with ILL purchases
- Attraction Closed If the attraction is closed during your return window, your return time will generally be extended to the end of the day
- Refunds If the attraction remains closed throughout the day, you may receive an automatic refund, or be able to obtain a refund or gift card with value equivalent to your purchase from Guest Services. Any other refund requests are subject to approval by Guest Services.
- Grace Period Return times are enforced similar to FPP: 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after the 1-hour window are generally ok (green light at taps); any time before or after the grace period is subject to CM approval.
- High Demand ILL Rise of the Resistance is by far the most popular ILL and will often sell out prior to off-site guests being eligible to book it. However, keep an eye out for additional reservation times that often pop up at random times throughout the day.
- Cost-Benefit Be mindful of the wait times for the attractions; you may not save much time at (for example) Expedition Everest, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, or Frozen Ever After. The best bang for your buck will be at Rise of the Resistance, Flight of Passage, or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
- Offsite Drops Additional inventory of ILL selections may be dropped when offsite guests are eligible (at park opening). If you are an on-site guest and are unable to secure an ILL at your preferred time, try again right at park opening. (This has varied since launch.)
- See note on drop times for Genie+ above.
Virtual Queue (boarding groups) is currently used only for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, and is expected to be used for Tron: Lightcycle Run and other new attractions during their debut. For more information on joining a virtual queue, see this thread.
- VQ + ILL When both VQ and ILL are available for a specific attraction, you CAN get both. (Note that with ILL, you skip the ~30-minute wait that those using the Virtual Queue typically wait in, but miss some pre-ride elements.)
Rider Swap Genie+, ILL, and Virtual Queue can be used with Rider Swap (which is also available for Standby riders - continue reading below). To skip the Standby line, all riders must have a LL reservation (or Boarding Group, if applicable). Non-riders (i.e., children under the height requirement) do not need a LL reservation.
After reporting to the LL, a CM will scan all LL reservations and assign a RS pass to Group 2 riders (1 adult waiting with non-riding child(ren) plus one repeat rider). Group 1 riders will enter the L immediately. Group 2 will return to the LL after Group 1 rides. One rider is able to ride twice (once in the first group, once with the waiting adult). The RS pass does not need to be redeemed immediately, but each guest can only have one RS pass at a time (two adults and respective repeat riders in a party CAN have a RS pass for separate attractions but the RS holders may not overlap).
Using Rider Swap without a LL reservation / Boarding Group works the same way, except Group 1 must wait in the Standby line rather than using the LL. Group 2 returns to the LL. No one needs a LL reservation or BG if Group 1 intends to wait Standby. Instead, everyone gets in the Standby line and at a certain point, a CM will assign a RS pass to the Group 2 riders, at which point Group 2 and any non-riders may exit the queue. In many cases, you can send runners up to the CM checkpoint to get MagicBands / admission scanned while the rest of the party waits in line to save time.
DAS is compatible with both Genie+ and ILL. Guests may use all three systems together or separately. See this post for further information.
Helpful Blog Posts:
NOTE: It is recommended that you skip the initial conversation below, which may relate to obsolete features of Genie+. Instead, skip to posts from no more than the latest month to read about recent updates / questions / info.
Last Updated: September 17, 2022