How to Ride Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland
This post is a one stop shop for information on riding RotR via boarding groups. If you have any info to add or a question you would like answered in this lead post, please respond below.
TLDR: Arrive at Main Entrance 30-60 minutes prior to published park opening (arrive at Toy Story parking lot 30+ min before that). Obtain a boarding group via DL App as soon as your entire party is through turnstiles, or when issuance begins (typically published park opening). Report to queue within 2 hours of your BG being called.
Boarding Group Basics
- BGs utilized as the line for RotR - NO STANDY
- BG not necessary to gain entry to the rest of SWGE / MFSR
- BG may be obtained via DL App home screen at published park opening once guests are within turnstiles
- No ability to obtain BG prior to scanning in or on behalf of other guests in party who have not scanned into the park that day
- You do NOT need to purchase MaxPass to use the App
- Paper BG machines are also available if you have no phone (NOT recommended)
- App gives an indication of approximate timing for BG return (e.g., morning, afternoon, evening)
- Once called (via push notification), BG has two hours to report to RotR queue and scan in
- Your admission (mobile or paper/plastic) is linked to your BG; will be scanned for entry to queue similar to FP
- After scanning in, there is a short wait (15-30 min in morning, up to 1 hour later) prior to pre-show
- Guests with a BG may leave DL as long as they return and report to queue within 2 hours of BG being called
- Guests are currently limited to one BG per day
- BG system is completely separate from and does not affect ability to obtain or use MaxPass / FP
- Guests have reported being able to leave the park and apply for a BG outside of DL as long as they have scanned in that day (not recommended in case CM assistance is needed)
BG Tips and Tricks:
- See this post for step-by-step BG instructions with screenshots of the App.
- Users have reported faster refresh if they press “My Status” rather than “Join Boarding Group”
- Log in with the same credentials (or linked profiles) on multiple phones (some on WiFi and others using cell service if possible) and attempt to get a BG right at published park opening; first user to get in obtains a BG for all members of the party
- Consider having a third party book your BG for you remotely once you have scanned into the park (i.e., from a computer or via App at home) by logging in to a linked profile. Both you and the third party can make simultaneous attempts without interference.
- If you do not have a cell phone or if App is not working properly, paper BG machines are available but NOT recommended. Keep any stubs and approach guest services if there are issues.
- Do not rely on push notification as it may not be timely - check App periodically
- Try applying for another BG after scanning into the queue just in case Disney changes their 1-per-day policy
- In the first few minutes the VQ is open, it is not clear that BG issuance is sequential. Due to the volume and likely multiple servers simultaneously processing requests, the BG you are issued may seem random in comparison to other guests who access at essentially the same time.
- Single Riders: It is not expected that there will be a single rider line for RotR; single riders are identified in the interrogation area
- MaxPass/FP: Will be available eventually, but no date has been announced
- Accessibility: All riders need a BG. Entire queue is wheelchair accessible - two steps transfer to ride vehicle; if not able, guest may experience pre-show up to hangar but will have to exit prior to boarding main ride vehicle.
- DAS: All riders need a BG. Approach CM to skip line and proceed directly to transport.
- Rider swap: All riders need a BG (none needed for non-riders); report to CM to obtain a FP for 2nd group to skip line and proceed directly to transport. Min height: 40”
- Motion sickness: There are two short sections of the ride with motion simulators and one 20 foot drop; riders sensitive to motion sickness report that RotR is very mild compared to ST, GotG, etc.
- Weight Limitations: Lap belt rather than bar in ride vehicle; similar to IJ - no issues noted
- ADRs: ADR to Oga’s is NOT acceptable to gain entry to RotR or necessary to access SWGE
- Magic Morning: Disney has announced RotR will not be available during MM. Expect App to start issuing BGs at published general park opening. This post will be updated after first MM with any tips.
- Breakdowns: If ride breaks down, riders who are evacuated are issued a paper FP (good for only RotR) which allows guest to skip line and report directly to transport; if guest is in line during breakdown, App issues them a digital multi-experience FP which is good for any ride, including RotR, but does not allow the guest to skip the RotR line (similar status as BG)
- If initial BG is not called by end of day, WDW has been issuing next-day FP and 1-day PH ticket exp 2030; this post will be updated for DL procedure once observed.
- After initial BGs are distributed, App begins issuing “Backup Boarding Groups” above a specified number that are not guaranteed to ride and will only be called if all initial BGs are called before the end of the day and there is additional capacity. No compensation is given if Backup BG is not called.
- Guests who have been issued paper or digital FP have often been permitted to use the following day.
- Link to WDW RotR thread for additional info and first-hand experiences
- Link to RotR Boarding Group thread for DL and WDW for data compiled by Steve Bloom with TP
- Link to daily RotR Boarding Group Data for DL and WDW collected by Thrill Data