RotR Disneyland Edition!

Supposedly all Initial BGs were distributed by 8:01am today! MDE started issuing right at 8:00am. Backup BGs (82+) are already gone as well.

Here are some reports of BGs received by Liners:

@BellesRose2K: 43
Bryan (TP): 115
@93111tink: 125 (paper FP machine)

I’ll add more as I find them.

2 Likes

Yeah, some people are elated (the woman who walked in the gates at 7:45am and got boarding group 40) and some are totally pissed (the guy who arrived at 9:30pm yesterday and got 101 because his phone wouldn’t work and he had to get a paper FP, or the guy who arrived hours early and got 110 cuz the app malfunctioned).

1 Like

Thrill Data is reporting that Initial BGs were gone in 2 minutes and Backup BGs were gone in 10 minutes!

https://twitter.com/thrilldata/status/1218204765919858688?s=21

As of 8:41am, someone posted that they haven’t even started boarding anyone on the ride yet. Yikes!!!

I’m not even there and this is slightly stressing me out. I feel like I’m watching a gripping telanovela. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Now boarding groups 12-15.

Opening Day Timeline 1/17/20
Link to OP

12:00am Guests admitted to Toy Story Parking Lot
12:30am Security open
5:45am Turnstiles open; guests held at Main Street
6:30am Mickey & Friends / Pixar Pals parking lots opened
8:00am App starts issuing BGs (12+)
8:02am App starts issuing Backup BGs (82+)
8:10am BG Distribution done for the day
8:55am Ride opens; Accepting BGs 12-14
9:00am Accepting BGs 12-15
9:50am Ride down
10:00am Accepting BGs 12-26
10:40am Ride back up
11:00am Accepting BGs 12-29
12:00pm Accepting BGs 17-37
1:00pm Accepting BGs 27-49
2:00pm Accepting BGs 30-55
2:25pm Ride down
3:00pm Accepting BGs 49-61
3:30pm Ride back up
4:00pm Accepting BGs 56-65
5:00pm Accepting BGs 62-69
6:00pm Accepting BGs 66-80
6:20pm First Backup BG Called (82)
7:00pm Accepting BGs 70-87
7:15pm App sends push notification to certain Backup BGs (including 115) that they will not be called
8:00pm Accepting BGs 89-99
9:00pm Accepting BGs 89-114 (BG Dist done for day)
12:00pm Published Park Closing

3 Likes

That super cool data.

1 Like

I have a college friend who got BG 12, somehow. I will ask him what he did once he gets off the ride (he said he’s “heading over” now at 9:06 PST).

1 Like

Ok, so I think I have my plan for Sunday (if I go at all, cuz, frankly, I’m starting to feel a little dirty about expending so much energy on this).

(1) Leave my house by 6:30am. I should, theoretically get through the turnstiles by 7:45am at the very latest (unless everyone has my plan and is clogging up parking and security).

(2) Get a FP for Toy Story Mania (cuz it’s not like I’ll be in BG 1, if that even exists).

(3) Do not get so attached to riding RoR that I lose my ish if I don’t, because my iPhone 6 + the wildly unpredictable DL app + the randomly assigned BGs are a lot of potential wrenches that could thwart my efforts.

(4a) Ride RoR cuz I got a boarding pass (and temper my expectations because the hype has been overwhelming); OR

(4b) Ride a few other rides, maybe treat myself to a corndog and a beer, get some exercise and some daylight, and head home early to binge watch something.

Yeah, I think that works. :smile:

2 Likes

It is reported by DisneyFoodBlig (AJ Wolfe) that the ride broke down at 9:50am (PST).

Not currently operating

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan! And even if you get one of the first BGs called, you still have 2 hours to report!

Same. I am going Sunday but won’t be there until at least 9:30 so doesn’t sound like I have a snowball’s chance to get a BG! But it will be fun to see the crowds and excitement and also get some intel for our “real” visit on 1/26. If we don’t get a BG that day, I will lose my “ish”!!!

1 Like

I’m updating the Opening Day Timeline as we get more data. You can also look here to follow along with the BGs as they are called. Any time there is a flatline, that means the ride is down and they stopped calling BGs for a while. (P.S. I keep getting tripped up with the time zone issue when I update the timeline but the chart below is automated so you can trust it over me. :wink:)

3 Likes

It looks like they are following a similar pattern to that in WDW. It will get better the more experience the operation team gets. I recall seeing a shutdown at WDW about 1 to 2 hours into the ride quite often.

DL appears to be following the average BG rate we are seeing at WDW.

2 Likes

I used to live in AZ and loved that there was no DLS. I also love that prime time started at 7 pm. Hoping CA joins your boat soon.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that is ONE hour return window at DL.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - I will try to look for confirmation of that. Would make sense since DL is much smaller than WDW, obviously. It only takes 15 min to get from the furthest point in DCA to SWGE.

@BellesRose2K can confirm for you when she has time to check in here, she is there and posted her boarding pass on FP an hour ago (Around 12:30pm) - she has until 3:23 pm to enter. Looks more like a 3 hour window to return today.

2 Likes

Interesting comparison of opening day at WDW (solid blue line) and opening day at Disneyland (dotted red line). So far Disneyland has had less breakdowns / downtime, but is slightly behind pace of WDW’s opening day. This could be because the BGs are bigger, or just because they are running at lower capacity than WDW did.

I suspect a mix of the two - Backup BGs at 82 is much lower than the threshold has been at WDW for almost any other day (it’s always been at least 100+). So that leads me to believe the BGs are larger. But they probably don’t want to deal with guests who are unable to ride, so I’m sure they are being extra careful about not issuing too many BGs or overdoing it on capacity during this beta period.

Note: the dotted blue line is today at WDW. There was a 3+ hour downtime period this morning! They got way behind.

They have done 3-hour return windows at WDW when the ride breaks down. Could be that or maybe they just decided to do a larger window. :man_shrugging: