RotR Disneyland Edition!

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear more!

1 Like

This was just released. DLR will be operating RotR BGs using the same guidelines at DHS.

• Request to join a boarding group to ride the attraction, once you have entered Disneyland park

• The virtual queue will not be available until published park opening hours , even if the park opens beforehand.

• Boarding groups will be sent a push notification when it is their turn to enter the attraction queue and you can monitor status of boarding groups from the app.

• There also will be the ability to join a boarding group from select locations inside Disneyland park, if you are not using the app. The boarding group is tied to admission that will be scanned upon entry of the attraction.

• Signage throughout the park will also display boarding group status.

• Admission into Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance will be subject to capacity, and having an assigned boarding group will not guarantee entrance to the attraction.

• Guests may be assigned to a “backup” boarding group . Backup boarding groups are only called if all previous boarding groups have been called and there is extra capacity for additional Guests.

• You will be able to join one boarding group per day .

3 Likes

I’ll be there too. I really want to avoid TS parking because of NAMM, but if I recall correctly the parking structure won’t open earlier than normal (6:30). I also think I read security won’t open until 6:30 either. With security gates at TS parking now, does that mean they will hold guests there from when it opens at 2:00 am to 6:30 or will they not use those security gates and have the area toward Harbor filled. Since I’m not staying there and driving from home, I’m really wondering if I’ll even be able to be in the esplanade 2 hours early. Please correct my info if I’m mistaken.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any announcements about security opening early but the way Disney has operated has been to open what they need to when crowds hit critical mass. So either you will show up the same time as a ton of other people and they’ll let you through security, or it will be crickets and there will be no need to be through security early.

1 Like

Thanks! I was just about to tag you for this answer :wink::smiley:

1 Like

I’m thinking a reason Disney announced opening TS early and not M&G is not to have crowds in DTD. After all that’s the reason they moved security outside of DTD. Retailers complained customers couldn’t get in.

Will they be running the busses from TS from midnight or do peeps have to walk if parking there? I haven’t seen any info about that.

I suspect Disney will open M&F earlier than normal, not midnight earlier but earlier. I think they’ll have to because the line will extend to Ball RD & the 5. They will then hold guests at security until that fills, then last of all fill the esplanade and DTD. I think the same way with TS. Fill area near Harbor, then hold guests at security at the parking lot, then let guests through security at regular time, if they can. I’ve seen, well not me personally but posts from others, lines extending down Harbor to Disney Drive and beyond.

I’m thinking I’ll show up at M&F around 5:30 because if I don’t get a BG I won’t be devastated (going Saturday and Monday). I just want to get a feel for the procedure for myself. Who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky.

1 Like

This sounds like the best plan. GL and please let us know how it goes!!

1 Like

My best guess is that if you do this you will get a BG. But definitely good to temper expectations just in case! Hard to say what’s going to happen tomorrow. I’m looking forward to reading posts about your experience!

1 Like

Good luck Rose. Hope it isn’t too much chaos tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I’ll document it for the benefit of others.

4 Likes

It’s starting! If you follow Chat or TP in Twitter you’ll see that people were showing up by midnight last night. Toy Story lot was open and running busses all night, but M&F was closed. Security opened by 1:15am and people starting queuing at the turnstiles. By 5:30am, the line went all the way back to DCA entrance across the Esplanade but they opened the gates by 6am and let everyone into Main Street.

TP posted a picture of the Esplanade around 6:30am and there was no one in line - everyone was in the park that arrived early. They have announced that BGs will not be issued until 8am so there was zero benefit to arriving any earlier than 7:30am or so (other than the excitement of being part of opening day - and queuing for RD to other rides of course). It’s raining so it must not have been super pleasant.

More news to follow once BGs open up!

3 Likes

Just realized a couple of the times in my most recent post above were not adjusted for daylight saving time (not observed here in AZ so sometimes we are in the same time zone as LA but right now we are not). I just fixed it but sorry for any confusion for anyone who saw my post earlier. :blush:

1 Like

So I would imagine VQ assignments are all going to come down to who is fastest on their phone + who has the most responsive phone + who has the Disneyland app gods working in their favor (functionality of the app + where the DL supercomputer places you in the VQ)?

1 Like

It’s about to start in just a couple minutes! So I guess we’ll see!

1 Like

Someone just posted on Twitter that they arrived at 5:22am and are in BG 42

1 Like

I wonder how long boarding groups generally take. “42” means nothing to me :laughing:

So it looks like all BGs were gone in about a minute and BGs 82 and above weren’t guaranteed to get on the ride today. Someone mentioned that they’d gotten there at midnight, but due to “randomized” BGs, they got BG 112, thus are not guaranteed to board. I wonder if it truly is randomized, which would be a crapper.

Also, someone brought up a good point about maybe forgoing the potentially problematic phone route and going to where they give out BGs in person at the park (for people who don’t use cell phones or have the app). Where would one do that???

Actually, that might not be a good idea. Phone is probably better.

This chart from Thrill Data shows the average (black line) time a particular boarding group is called at the WDW edition of Rise of the Resistance. The red line is 1/16 and the blue line is so far today (1/17).

As you can see, BG 42 would normally be called between 10-11am. @Shellott_hill has some charts as well that show a little more detail in the Boarding Group Data thread.

2 Likes

Your analytical skills are unmatched, Jeff. Thanks for this data!

2 Likes

I was at WDW last week and was unable to do my data collection. Give me a day or two to catch up and I will start posting my fancy charts…:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We’ll forgive you just this once! :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: