RotR Disneyland Edition!

We made it at last at around 7:45pm. Very crowded inside, with a long wait in the First Order section, but at least we got through!

2 Likes

Hooray! Glad it finally worked out. Hope you had a magical day at Disney!

2 Likes

Day 14 Timeline 1/30/20
Link to OP

Red line is 1/30/20. Yellow is presumed downtime.

Not the best day at DL for RotR yesterday. Lots of downtime and topping out at BG 96. Could have been worse - at least all regular groups got to ride and many backup groups. But most people who rode probably had to endure long waits during the downtime (such as @Lobolita).

2 Likes

@dborgill has confirmed that you can NOT obtain a BG from DCA if you have not scanned into DL that day:

I have seen reports that you can scan into DL and then transfer to DCA and still get a BG there, however.

BG 12 today, rode with the first group. We feel like we’ve cracked the code. Enable seconds on the clock in the notification bar of your phone, sync with time.gov (or figure out how far off your phone is and count), and press MyStatus>Join Boarding Group at X:00:01. Refreshing from the screen after My Status has NOT worked for us yet.

3 Likes

Day 15 Timeline 1/31/20
Link to OP

Red line is 1/31/20. Yellow is presumed downtime. Blue line is today (2/1/20).

Yesterday was not the best day for RotR. While they called up to BG 110, which is a little more than average, there was a fair amount of downtime, especially in the morning and afternoon.

Edit: Previously this post was referring to WDW data, has been updated.

BG 22 today, so we were 4/4, rode it every day, and now we’re off the plane and back home near Seattle. All in all, a fantastic trip, and we never would have had so much success without these boards. Thanks, guys!

2 Likes

Awesome! Any tips after going through the BG process four times? What do you wish would have been explained more clearly / wish you would have known?

1 Like

I think my post from yesterday pretty much covers what we learned. Refreshing by pulling down the “checking” screen does not seem to work well, and this was also what we heard from others in the park. We had a perfect track record getting into low-numbered groups by following the steps I outlined above: Enable seconds on the clock in the notification bar of your phone, sync with time.gov (or figure out how far off your phone is and count), and press MyStatus>Join Boarding Group at X:00:01. This worked for us four days in a row, and we got groups 31, 25, 12, and 22.

2 Likes

What surprised me most was how many people in the park were very aware of the ride, but completely uninformed about the process. We saw plenty of people dashing into Galaxy’s Edge to get in line for RotR, who were then dumbfounded to learn about boarding groups. The whole experience reinforces the belief I started with: both rides in Galaxy’s Edge should be fastpass rides with standby lines, using a tried and true system, instead of this nutty everybody-stare-at-your-phones BG thing. The silence and stillness at park opening is super creepy, and there are so many disappointed kids whose parents didn’t get into BGs for whatever reason.

3 Likes

This just completely astounds me, as a planner. I’m sure I am equally unprepared in other ways that I’m not aware of, but seems the boarding group process has been decently well publicized.

2 Likes

Just making sure: your app was already opened and already on the “Find out more” page before park open, you just clicked on “My Status” at :00:01, correct?

Thank you so much for the detailed system!

1 Like

For me, Clicking “Find out more” even 1 second b4 made it not possible to get a BG without closing the app & starting again. I had to click Find out More right at X:00:00 then “Join Boarding Group” would not be greyed out, allowing me to join. If I went to that screen even 1 second early “Join Boarding Group” was greyed out. I had time.gov open on a split screen on my Android and clicked right @ 00 seconds. With this I got BG 20 and below. It seems what best to do is phone dependent. If I was on Join Boarding group screen b4 00:00 nothing, not clicking “My status” or anything allowed me to get a BG. I tested this 8 times. I decided my phone is so fast that clicking b4 is too soon.

Others of my friends experienced the same thing, not to click “Find Out More” until X:00:00. For some, like @Lobolita it worked being on that screen and clicking “My Status”. That technique was a total fail for me. I either got Backup or no BG when doing that.

I also checked my internet speed. I really don’t know how important it is, but I did get low BG with high internet speed. I went around the park and found good spots in the lands I would start the day at–FL, TL, AL, GE. Disney has been doing RD 5 minutes early, giving guests the chance to move to different lands b4 getting a BG. It will be dependent on carrier. I have Verizon. Download & install a speed tester app and move around the area until you have speed over 80mbps. I usually had over 100.

I’m still amazed people come to Disney and ask “What is Fastpass?” I’ve encountered guests who don’t know what Indiana Jones is, either not aware of the attraction or thinks it’s a show. As a planner I can’t imagine spending the amount of money a Disney trip requires and just showing up without a clue, but people do it all the time. It makes sense people would go and rush to RotR not knowing about BG. These are the same people who ask what FP is. :smirk::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::thinking::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yes, I was sitting on the “Find Out More” page at park opening, then clicked through one second after. For reference, we have T-Mobile data and relatively new OnePlus phones. I didn’t even attempt to use the park WiFi. Oh, one last thing: I hard stopped my Disneyland app and restarted it at about X:55 each day, just to make sure it was fresh and clear.

2 Likes

What area with Verizon did you find was the best location for speed?

I also have OnePlus 7T phone.

I speed tested different places throughout DL. I’m on Verizon. Good places FL: between teacups & Matterhorn (nearly 125mbps); TL: in front of Path of Jedi (over 140mbps); Adventureland: entrance to Tarzan treehouse (over 150mbps); front of MFSR (nearly 160 mbps)

2 Likes

Day 16 Timeline 2/1/20
Link to OP

Red line is 2/1/20. Yellow is presumed downtime.

Day 17 Timeline 2/2/20
Link to OP

Red line is 2/2/20. Yellow is presumed downtime.

I was online this morning at 9:00am when boarding groups started being issued. They were gone in 45 seconds, but I had several chances to click “My Status” and “Join Boarding Group” before they ran out.

3 Likes

Day 18 Timeline 2/3/20
Link to OP

Red line is 2/3/20. Yellow is presumed downtime.

Yesterday wasn’t too bad - they got up to BG 126 despite the ride closing for 1.5+ hours in the mid-afternoon.

3 Likes