RotR Disneyland Edition!

Initial BGs were available for 1 min 6 sec.

Backup BGs were available for an additional 11 sec.

So a total of 1 min 17 sec before ALL BGs were distributed for the day!

2 Likes

Awesome! That is an amazing BG! You should be on by 9-10am.

1 Like

What was the last BG in DL yesterday 01/19?

1 Like

I know! I did a quiet “YES” with a fist pull to myself when I saw it (I’m by myself). I’m in the queue now (9:24a). Woulda been earlier but I had to make a pit stop. :smiley: I was afraid I would have to stay late and find ways to kill time, but nope! :smiley:

1 Like

Highest called yesterday was 81 - it was a rough day. All initial BGs were called but no backup BGs were. You can see in the chart below there was about four hours of downtime in the morning (10am-2pm with just a small period of operation around noon) and another 1.5 hours between 6-7:30pm. But it operated quite well between 2-6pm. :slight_smile:

Day 4 Timeline 1/20/20 (MLK Jr Day)
Link to OP

7:22am Park opens; crowds held at hub
8:00am Published park opening; App starts issuing BGs (10+, 66 sec)
8:01am App starts issuing Backup BGs (80+, 11 sec); App stops issuing BGs
8:50am Ride opens; Accepting BG 10-13
8:40pm Last BG called (105)
11:00pm Published park closing

Red line = 1/20/20. Presumed downtime in yellow:

That was fun! Very different. :smiley:

Here’s my play by play for the morning:

7:11 parked (Toy Story) - Normally at this time, I’d be right at the shuttle stop, but I was at the back corner of the first lot. 5 min walk to the shuttle station.
7:18 thru security (in TSP before getting on shuttle) - Lucked out and only had one couple in front of me. Most lines had 4-5 ppl
7:21 on shuttle
7:31 in entrance line (ended up in the giant first-time families line, so lots of ID pictures being taken at the turnstiles, slowing the line down). :frowning: the lines on the right side closest to the shuttle entrance looked shorter compared to the middle lines. I was at the monorail track when I started, but the middle lines were about halfway through the esplanade.
Entrance gate 29
Inside gates: 7:42
8am - used My Status to get to the Boarding Group selection and got Group 18!!!
9:00am boarding group called (walking from main entrance + pit stop)
9:17 walking thru queue
9:53 off the ride
10:00 using star tour FP acquired earlier. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Was the park already open when you arrived in line or were you there when they started letting people in?

Good question. I’m pretty sure they opened early. I couldn’t really see from where I was at the back of the line (I’m short), nor did I really think to look, but by the time I got through the tunnels, the park was as crowded as if it had been open for a while. Such a weird scene, too. Never seen so many people just congregated on Main St, not moving, and staring at their phones. And during the BG free-for-all and aftermath, the mix of cheers and crying and parents consoling kids was noticeably emotional.

1 Like

No worries - I found out from someone on Chat that it opened at 7:22am. So you arrived just in time to skip the wait!

Oh ok, so it hadn’t been open that long. Wow, they pack 'em in quick! :smiley:

Between this and the almost brawls at the paper FP machines, I really hope they figure out a way to get more people who arrive early a BG. At WDW it hasn’t been as bad - usually the Backup BGs don’t run out for at least 30 minutes, and sometimes up to two hours. But Disneyland is a more popular park than HS and with an opening time of 8:00am, there just isn’t a high enough price to pay to get there on time. Hopefully after this holiday weekend it will get better.

I hope so too. I’m curious how long it will be crazy like this. I have friends going tomorrow morning. I’ll be curious to see how the first regular workday goes.

1 Like

I’m glad to see that as of 5:25pm today, they’re up to BG 72. I met a Dad who got BG 81, and his preteen boy was moping on Star Tours cuz he was concerned whether they would be called today. Armed with the knowledge gleaned here, I said the odds were good…as long as the ride didn’t break down for 4 hours during the course of the day, like yesterday, which is not impossible, but unlikely. I also met a mom and her kids who got BG 118. Luckily, they live close and have APs. :smile:

1 Like

Day 5 Timeline 1/21/20
Link to OP

8:00am Early Entry
8:20am Non-EE guests admitted
9:00am Published park opening; App starts issuing BGs (1+, 1 min 30 sec)
9:01am App stops issuing BGs (Backup = 71+)
9:10am Ride opens; Accepting BGs 1-7
9:00pm Published park closing

Red line is 1/21/20. Yellow bar is presumed downtime.

1 Like

All BGs were distributed within 1 min 30 sec today. The button went inactive for me at the same time that it went from regular to backup, so there was no distinguishable time during which they were issuing Backup BGs today, though I assume that is just an issue on my end.

Anyone there today that knows how early they let in the non-EE people? It sounds like they let them in early enough to have equal access to BGs, but haven’t seen confirmation of the exact procedure.

I’m not in the park, so I can’t answer your question…but I’m curious what you mean by non-EE people?

EE = early entry. Officially called Magic Morning on the west coast (similar to Extra Magic Hours at WDW).

I’m not sure what exact time non-EEs were let in, but I know of a large group of friends (10+) that congregated at the flagpole at 8:45a. Supposedly, they all linked APs to get a boarding pass and ended up NOT getting one. I’m curious as to whether me being by myself yesterday helped me get my very early BG (18). And I wonder if large groups are at a disadvantage somehow. Just speculation, but I’m surprised this group of DL experts didn’t get a boarding pass at all since they appeared to be on time.

1 Like

I don’t think it would make a huge difference usually, but a group of 10+ might cause issues for the BG system. The server is probably looking for the first BG with 10+ available spots and this might bump you up a couple of BGs more than you would have otherwise gotten. But I don’t think it would be the difference between getting a BG or not.

I’m assuming they had other issues. If you get online within the first 20 seconds after opening, you should get assigned a BG. On the one hand, that’s not a long time; but if you’re watching the clock and you don’t have major IT issues, it’s plenty.