Poll Time - Have you had COVID? December Edition

As a follow-up to the original poll which I launched back in July, I thought it would be interesting to check back in and see who has had COVID. Results are anonymous, but feel free to share your experience in the comments below.

Have you had COVID at any time since the pandemic began? (Select the one option that describes the closest relation to you that has gotten COVID.)

• Yes, I have tested positive for COVID
  • No, but someone in my household has
  • No one in my household has, but an extended family member has
  • None of my extended family has, but a friend has
  • No one I am close to has tested positive

0 voters

Here are the original results from July for reference:

4 Likes

My husband, myself, and DD8 all tested positive for antibodies (presumably DS7, DS5, & DS3 might as well if tested). My husband found out through an antibody test when he donated blood at work. As a result I and DD8 tested as well and were positive. My and my husbands only symptoms were gastrointestinal and fatigue. No fever, no loss of taste/smell, no coughing and so we were never tested. Daughter completely asymptomatic. Relieved to have had things so mild, but feel awful for unknowingly potentially exposing others. (We wear masks, etc. but obviously would have fully quarantined had we known).

4 Likes

Need a result that says, “Dozens of my friends have had it.” :wink:

1 Like

Yeah this wording was crafted back when not many people had it, but use that response if at least one friend has had it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to giving blood on 1/4. I presume I had it.

1 Like

Tricky. My ex-wife is the only person I know who tested positive so checked “No one I am close to has tested positive” since I presume we’re using social interaction as the metric as opposed to knowing people, i.e., connecting dots like Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

2 Likes

See - I was assuming relational connection vs physical interaction. My answer would stay the same, but it would only be a few dozen; not many, many dozen.

2 Likes

I had it back in July. I felt like I had a bad cold and was EXHAUSTED. I could have slept all day for 2 weeks. Never had fever or shortness of breath though. My first symptom was loss of taste and smell and here in December 5 months later, my smell and taste are still off. I don’t know if they’ll ever be the same. It’s very very strange. Things like soap, coffee, lots of normal daily things smell rotten and horrible. Other things (like my baby’s dirty diapers, ha!) I still can’t smell. My husband has to tell me it’s time to change a diaper. It is SO WEIRD, just thought I’d share my experience. Also interesting- my husband took multiple tests while living with me while I had it and he never had symptoms and only had negative tests.

4 Likes

My SIL ruined my track record of not knowing anyone…but does it really count when she’s in Texas and I live in Canada; I mean the odds were against her :joy: I assume she’s doing fine, she tested postive 10 days ago; so she would be able to get out of self-isolation. Thus far, my brother and niece have not had symptoms, so have not been tested; just stuck in quarantine.

3 Likes

Our household has stayed COVID-free (so far).

My brother and SIL (his wife) were hospitalized with COVID. My brother came very very close to being on a ventilator, and was hospitalized for 16 days. SIL was in the hospital for 5 days. All 4 of their kids tested positive (had symptoms, but nothing too serious).

We’ve lost 2 elderly relatives to COVID as well.

3 Likes

My 80some year old grandmother (I can’t remember exactly how old she is) tested positive at the end of last week. She is in a nursing home and high risk. So far, she has had no symptoms. I believe they will test her again in the next day or 2.

My household may have already had Covid back in January. But we will never know for sure. Otherwise, we have not been ill this entire pandemic.

2 Likes

I haven’t had it (as far as I know) but about half the people at my place of work have had it or one of their close contacts. I’m able to stay away from everyone since I’m a driver and limit my time around anybody. By treating EVERYONE like they are infected since March I’ve been fine. The last month has been the worst, but on the plus side everyone has recovered including 2 who were in the hospital at one point. This is in the northern suburbs of Chicago for reference.

4 Likes

Didn’t she have a false positive over the summer and they moved her to a Covid area for a period of time? Or am I thinking of a different poster?

1 Like

You are correct. It was my grandmother who had the false positive. No one else was positive in the home at that time. This time some staff have been positive. One her favorite nurses tested positive with no symptoms (according to my grandfather), so there is a good chance that is where she got it from, despite all the precautions that are being taken. She is currently in the Covid hall again.

2 Likes

I hope she recovers soon. Sending positive thoughts.

3 Likes

I had in mind relational. Or just people you would care about if they got it. Not sure if your ex falls into that bucket. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have had many coworkers test positive for COVID. I have also taken care of a few patients that have been COVID positive but tests were still pending when they came to have surgery. To the best of my knowledge none of the staff members have gotten COVID from these patients but instead through interactions outside of work.

2 Likes

I feel like the walls are closing in around me. My daughters friends family is all quarantining due to an exposure, my grandmother tested positive and is in the hospital (doing ok so far) and now several people at work in the lab are out and positive.
I just got my appointment for my vaccine for next week I just hope to God I don’t get it before then!!

4 Likes

My daughter, parents, grandparents (99 and 97), two sets of aunts and uncles, my cousin, his wife, their two daughters, and my niece! Thank God all have recovered.

11 Likes

I have had many coworkers and students who have had it since the beginning of the school. We have lost 1 elderly relative and 3 elderly family friends. My cousin’s daughter-a nurse-had it. Nobody else in my immediate family so far.

4 Likes