Poll Time ... Have you had COVID?

My DD20 and I both tested positive Friday. I have been careful. She had just spent 4-5 days with a friend who flew in from out of state. I was worried about the visit but my daughter wouldn’t call it off. So I had them stay at an Airbnb instead of in our home. I knew there was still risk for my daughter to bring it back home and she did.

I hope both you and your wife are doing okay. I am not feeling great but doing okay so far.

2 Likes

As far as health care workers go, here it’s really been seen as a “when” not an “if” we’d get it. We are reusing PPE. You can be as intentional as you can be, but we are constantly removing and replacing face shields and goggles and masks. And we are hand washing the face shields with cloth rags and spray bottles of cleaner.

My whole unit has dealt with one infected staffer after another other for the last six weeks. The good news is it’s hit or miss in being passed home to family members.

And it’s gotten to where there is absolutely a nosocomial trend going on. Every patient at my hospital gets tested on arrival. But you can imagine how many negative-on-arrival turn positive within 2-4 days. And then those roommates were exposed. And all the staff. And while staffers were wearing PPE, we have different cleaning routines after a known covid room vs supposed non-covid room.

1 Like

Ugh. I hope all your colleagues who want a vaccine are able to get it very soon.

My hospital has had it since early last week. I don’t know anyone who has personally had the vaccine though I’ve seen some people getting it on the Facebook page.

1 Like

My wife (who hasn’t tested positive but who had known contact with her sister who tested positive) hasn’t been feeling well at all the last two days, but in the same sense as a usual respiratory illness - nothing scary or severe. I had mild aches and chills last night but feel perfectly well today. If my wife’s test comes back positive I might get tested as well.

I think I’m going to launch an update poll - stay tuned.

3 Likes

Here’s the follow-up poll:

That’s pretty much how I feel.

2 Likes

It was eye opening when one of my kids tested positive for flu, despite all the precautions we were taking. Thankfully we’d been vaccinated - it was mild and didn’t spread to the rest of us (tho I suspect a day my throat hurt and tested neg for Covid was actually flu).

But it was something to realize that she could have just as easily picked up Covid.

Feel better soon!

2 Likes

For anyone that’s had the vaccine, are you getting any side effects? Is it like a flu vaccine or a little more uncomfortable (ie: feeling crappy and maybe a little feverish for a day or so)?

1 Like

From the trials, it sounds like side effects are more pronounced with the second dose (which makes sense, it’s triggering an immune response developed as a result of the first dose).

2 Likes

Quite a few of my coworkers got it on Monday and I worked with them on Tuesday. The majority said the only issue was a slightly sore arm, not much different than when they get their flu vaccine. I heard one of our Docs had a low grade fever from it as well. Overall, minimal issues which is wonderful!

6 Likes

Was it Moderna or Pfizer? I guess Moderna isn’t being used yet? I know it was approved

Pfizer. Moderna started here yesterday at the other hospital system in town.

1 Like

I had first dose of Pfizer on Saturday. Actual injection hurt less than my flu shot. Arm was sore for about 2 days. Totally manageable with some ibuprofen. I’d say on par with flu shot or even a little less overall sore than flu shot. We’ll see how dose #2 goes in a few weeks (hopefully, assuming supply remains).

6 Likes

Pfizer vaccine yesterday morning. Sore arm and temp of 99.4 yesterday evening. Arm already feels normal again.

3 Likes

Glad you’re feeling better today.

2 Likes

I don’t have it but my 90 yr old mother has it! Yikes!

1 Like

Found out today my blood tested positive for antibodies. (Donated last Monday.). Was thinking I likely had it early December after my mild head cold led to loss of taste and smell, and this makes me more inclined to believe it. As I donate Q8 weeks, I should be able to track how long they are sustained (until they do away with testing donations).

I’m so excited to think they will be using my blood to help critically ill patients. 🩸🅰️

5 Likes

I’ve never donated blood (I have a phobia - not about needles, about blood), but am excited to do it now especially knowing I (hopefully) have antibodies and it could be used for even more good!

3 Likes

Yes! Major motivator for me to keep it up!
It’s dumb how happy I am. Was literally a MISERABLE day here and now I’m giddy.

3 Likes