Poll Time ... Have you had COVID?

we should repost this survey. I bet the numbers are much different now.

4 Likes

Not here!

I havenā€™t had it, but Iā€™m an ER/ICU nurse so Iā€™m exposed every day. However, Iā€™m as cautious as I can possibly be. If anyone in my family had it, they werenā€™t symptomatic. I recently got vaccinated for it.

I do suspect my daughter had one of the early strains. It would make sense. Her symptoms were textbook for what we know about it now, and I wasnā€™t wearing PPE at work because covid wasnā€™t a concern yet.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Yay for getting the vaccine!

2 Likes

I tested positive on Saturday after my wife tested positive on Friday despite always wearing masks in public and social distancing as much as possible.

2 Likes

How are you feeling?

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry. I hope itā€™sgoing to be a mild case. Itā€™s got to be frustrating when you did all precautions too.

No way of knowing, but Iā€™ve wondered how much transmission is taking place when people are wearing masks and distancing.

All my friends and family who have tested positive have had known exposures where they think they know how they caught the virus, but I have heard of friends of friends whose only potential exposures were masked and distanced trips to stores.

Hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

Our hair stylistā€™s parents always wear masks in public, but rarely go anywhere. Theyā€™re in their early 60s. Very careful. They apparently caught covid after a routine doctor visit at a clinic in a large medical building, temperature scans and hand sanitizer to enter.

My sister - years in OR as a tech - has been mask wearing wherever mandated tho she maintains the mask will not protect her from other folksā€™ germs. She always says the masks could do more harm if mishandled.

I live in a rural area. My granddaughter - in the Navy in San Diego - is now positive. My nieceā€™s mother in law is now positive - I see her about as much as I see my granddaughter.
My ex-daughter-in-law was positive before Thanksgiving - sheā€™s been working on a covid ward all summer. She thinks she got it from her son when he was arrested - yet again - for drunk driving. :smirk: She became symptomatic about 5 days after his release. I havenā€™t seen either of them in months.

So far no close contact of mine has tested postive. My grandniece was scarily ill in late February but covid testing was still in the future in our neck of the woods.

My DD20 and I both tested positive Friday. I have been careful. She had just spent 4-5 days with a friend who flew in from out of state. I was worried about the visit but my daughter wouldnā€™t call it off. So I had them stay at an Airbnb instead of in our home. I knew there was still risk for my daughter to bring it back home and she did.

I hope both you and your wife are doing okay. I am not feeling great but doing okay so far.

2 Likes

As far as health care workers go, here itā€™s really been seen as a ā€œwhenā€ not an ā€œifā€ weā€™d get it. We are reusing PPE. You can be as intentional as you can be, but we are constantly removing and replacing face shields and goggles and masks. And we are hand washing the face shields with cloth rags and spray bottles of cleaner.

My whole unit has dealt with one infected staffer after another other for the last six weeks. The good news is itā€™s hit or miss in being passed home to family members.

And itā€™s gotten to where there is absolutely a nosocomial trend going on. Every patient at my hospital gets tested on arrival. But you can imagine how many negative-on-arrival turn positive within 2-4 days. And then those roommates were exposed. And all the staff. And while staffers were wearing PPE, we have different cleaning routines after a known covid room vs supposed non-covid room.

1 Like

Ugh. I hope all your colleagues who want a vaccine are able to get it very soon.

My hospital has had it since early last week. I donā€™t know anyone who has personally had the vaccine though Iā€™ve seen some people getting it on the Facebook page.

1 Like

My wife (who hasnā€™t tested positive but who had known contact with her sister who tested positive) hasnā€™t been feeling well at all the last two days, but in the same sense as a usual respiratory illness - nothing scary or severe. I had mild aches and chills last night but feel perfectly well today. If my wifeā€™s test comes back positive I might get tested as well.

I think Iā€™m going to launch an update poll - stay tuned.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the follow-up poll:

Thatā€™s pretty much how I feel.

2 Likes

It was eye opening when one of my kids tested positive for flu, despite all the precautions we were taking. Thankfully weā€™d been vaccinated - it was mild and didnā€™t spread to the rest of us (tho I suspect a day my throat hurt and tested neg for Covid was actually flu).

But it was something to realize that she could have just as easily picked up Covid.

Feel better soon!

2 Likes

For anyone thatā€™s had the vaccine, are you getting any side effects? Is it like a flu vaccine or a little more uncomfortable (ie: feeling crappy and maybe a little feverish for a day or so)?

1 Like

From the trials, it sounds like side effects are more pronounced with the second dose (which makes sense, itā€™s triggering an immune response developed as a result of the first dose).

2 Likes

Quite a few of my coworkers got it on Monday and I worked with them on Tuesday. The majority said the only issue was a slightly sore arm, not much different than when they get their flu vaccine. I heard one of our Docs had a low grade fever from it as well. Overall, minimal issues which is wonderful!

6 Likes