Poll Time ... Have you had COVID?

We wouldn’t use it but we understand it.

1 Like

Nothing new under the sun?

I actually know a handful of people (friends‘ parents) who had polio. It always seemed real to me until I became a nurse and learned how rare it was.

4 Likes

Where are you reading this? I’d like to learn more, but my Google skills are failing me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

According to the CDC roughly 1 in 200 become paralyzed, and, for every 100 of those paralyzed, somewhere between 2 and 10 die. So at the high end I think that’s something like 1 in every 2000 that die.

It’s also mostly spread through contaminated feces. So modern sanitation greatly reduces its spread.

4 Likes

I’m on my way to a karate tournament. I’ll look when we stop. I doubt it was the CDC. It was fascinating reading.

1 Like

I understood that fear of paralyzation, not just death, was the main concern when polio was at its peak in the 1940s and 1950s. And given how disabled people were treated at the time…it makes sense to fear it. So I guess if you are only looking at death, you could say fears of polio were overblown?

And highlighting prevalence/impact of a disease/condition to raise money for its cure is pretty standard, at least nowadays, so I want to understand more about what sounds like people being manipulated into fearing polio in order to raise money for vaccine development.

5 Likes

My husband was convinced he just had a summer cold (I suspected he had C-19 all along) and was fine in 3-4 days. Then I got sick and he was convinced I had bronchitis (which I am prone to get). Finally when DS14 was in bed for 2 or three days with a headache and no energy, I was absolutely positive that we had it. DH was still in denial. It wasn’t until I got my fever and couldn’t break it until the third day that he started to think it was C-19. When I tested positive, he had to concede that he had C-19. By the time he got tested (roughly three weeks after the symptoms first showed up), he had markers for both positive and negative. The Doctor ruled it inconclusive and said that he is fairly certain DH had it and gave it to myself and DS14. DS16 never showed any symptoms (I suspect he had it, but was asymptomatic). I intend on having all three tested for the antibodies. So… if I hadn’t gotten sick the way I did and tested positive, DH would still be convinced that he just had a cold. I have to assume that there are many others out there just like DH.

4 Likes

I am about the same for now (low energy and chest congestion). I had my Dr appt this morning and was taken off work for the rest of the month, which was a huge relief. My doctor is going to try a round of steroids to help with my breathing. Work has been very supportive and sent me a gift certificate for DoorDash, which I thought was very kind and thoughtful. Overall things are improving, just not fast enough for my preference.

11 Likes

A co-worker in my place of work tested positive and spent several days in the hospital, he’s now home recovering.

Fortunately, I don’t work directly with him and was on vacation last week when he started showing symptoms. Everyone in my workplace is getting tested. My personal test just came back negative yesterday.

3 Likes

This disease, when it strikes badly, seems to just ravage people’s lungs. It’s no wonder you are struggling to recover. Our bodies are amazing things and I’m hopeful with time your lungs will heal. Sending magical thoughts your way! :fireworks:

5 Likes

I hope the steroids help. I’m glad to hear your work have been supportive!

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. I’m glad your employer is being supportive, and I hope the steroids help. Take care of yourself, recovery takes time. :heart:

3 Likes

We have a nearly similar story altho our sickest was our youngest, 15 yo grandniece. Her doctor said he was sick enough to be in bed all weekend the same week that our grandniece was sick. He says, did I have covid? Maybe, maybe not.

We don’t have a lot of testing opportunities locally. Maybe we’ll know some day if our 3 with suspicious symptoms and the one with no symptoms actually had covid.

I’ve heard for every 1 that’s known positive, there are 10 unknown positives. I would not be a bit surprised if 10 is low.

2 Likes

Just found out my BIL was released from the hospital due to C-19. When my DH asked his mother why no one told him she replied, “Your sister didn’t want to have to answer any questions.” What we know is that they went to a church camp to listen to a speaker. BIL was in hospital for 7-10 days and is now home. SIL didn’t get it or two children that still live at home. MIL is still waiting for her test results. (they live in Lee County, FL)

3 Likes

Wow. That is exactly what we were just talking about on the coronavirus thread.
I bet there are many, many people like your SIL. The moralizing over this disease is out of control. I have no doubt it impacts our ability to fight it.

Which is so stupid, because in the field of public health this has been known for decades. Destigmatizing and decriminalizing are critical to combating disease. But that all went right out the window with coronavirus.

6 Likes

…and we just found out that BIL (40) has to be on oxygen, and wife and daughter (21) tested positive.

5 Likes

Crikey. My prayers are with you & yours. Things have just gone insane when you can’t tell your own family.

4 Likes

:frowning:
Prayers for them all.

6 Likes

Supportive heart. I hope they all recover quickly with no lasting damage.

6 Likes

if you do get covid while on vacation. it will count in the state in which you return to. so if from Ohio, then at disney for 7 days, then home in ohio 14 days later tests positive. it will count in state of OHIO. it won’t show in Florida’s Numbers. that’s where it can look like under reporting.