Poll Time ... Have you had COVID?

Where is this?

1 Like

Israel.

2 Likes

I know a lot of people following some really interesting research being done in Israel.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a lot of creative thinking.

3 Likes

I :heart: Israel.
Iā€™d follow their science.
I have stuff to look up today. Thank you @PrincipalTinker and @elanahorwitz_687246 for the lead.

1 Like

Unless a liner you knew IRL came and let us know, I would think most would just think you left the forum. I donā€™t post as often as many others, but I try to get on every few days or so. Even though I am probably not going back to WDW for 5-10 years, I am staying here. I miss WDW too much and this place is my fix.

3 Likes

I think about this all the time! There is really no way of distinguishing a person dying from just leaving the community, if they have no IRL or social media contacts inside. ā€˜x hasnā€™t posted for a while, I wonder if they are OK?ā€™ is something that comes to my mind somewhat frequently.

2 Likes

And thereā€™s lots of us (I suspect) that are mostly lurkers. I read a lot of whatā€™s going on around here, but donā€™t always have much to say. (thatā€™s just me IRL, too)

5 Likes

My brother in law works as an electrician in the NYC subways and caught it back in March - then his wife caught it, but miraculously not the kids as far as we know. They had some serious fevers and he had slight pneumonia, but not enough to get hospitalized. Took almost 6 weeks for each of them to shake the worst of it.

In January our DD13 had a really bad flu something or other for about 10 days. Her fever was so high we were putting her feet in an ice bath and she was joking they were boiling the water!

I stayed home most days because DW doesnā€™t have paid days off at school, but neither of us nor our DS had any symptoms, so weā€™re thinking the chances it was COVID are slim. (But, who knows?)

Still, here in NY back then really felt like we were all 1 random encounter away from it.

3 Likes

My sister-in-lawā€™s dad in New Jersey is 83 and tested positive for antibodies. Apparently he had Covid without noticing any symptoms.

3 Likes

How are you feeling today? Do you feel like youā€™re through it now?

1 Like

No, and I just gave blood Saturday and tested negative for antibodies for the second time and I donā€™t understand it at all. I have done things and been places, large crowds of people with no masks at a 4th of July celebration, traveled on planes to hot spots and driven around in those places and gone in stores and restaurants without a mask. Basically all the things weā€™ve been warned not to do, because I believe this has been massively overblown and I canā€™t bring myself to join the hysteria. No illness, no antibodies to indicate asymptomatic illness. I know people are getting sick and that stinks. I donā€™t like being sick either. But everyone, including myself, gets sick sometimes with different viruses, and sometimes those illnesses result in death. Itā€™s been ridiculous to shut down the country and react the way we have. Iā€™m sure I will get plenty of hate for saying it but itā€™s what I believe is true.

4 Likes

Youā€™re entitled to feel the way you feel as long as you follow the requirements in your area. I wonder if you might feel differently if you or someone you loved suffered through the disease.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for thinking of me! I am doing better, although today I feel like Iā€™ve taken three steps back. The last few days I have been getting more energy and feeling much better, but last night the chest congestion came back, as well as the coughing. Of course thereā€™s also the extreme fatigue that I have been battling all along. This Friday will mark the third week of dealing with this. I am very much looking forward to feeling like myself again soon. Despite getting hit so hard with this, I am very grateful that myself and my family didnā€™t get hit harder. Thereā€™s been several news reports in our area of teens in the hospital with this and they are not doing well. I am also very grateful that if anyone ended up having to get the brunt of it, Iā€™m glad it was me and not my children.

11 Likes

My brother and his wife and her whole family had the virus and it amounted to cold symptoms and fatigue. You may be right, I may feel differently if one of my elderly relatives got sick. But I like to think I could be philosophical about it. My 82 year old step father, who I love very much, got sick with a bad cold last winter, probably from hanging around with the family over the holidays when some of us were sick, and ended up with pneumonia. I would have felt really sad and missed him had he passed away from that but he would not be the first elderly relative in my life who has passed away and not for the world would he have passed up the opportunity to spend the holidays with his family because of the possibility he may get sick. We canā€™t keep these dear people forever and death is part of life. I will age and die sometime also, maybe from a virus that turns into pneumonia. My family will mourn me and go on with their lives which is as it should be. Honestly, we are acting pretty crazy about this. And the reaction to it has been so overwhelmingly political it has raised my already skeptical feelings up several notches to the point that I just donā€™t believe anything that comes from the media or the government. I trust my own common sense and thatā€™s about it.

2 Likes

Hope you feel better soon. Please keep us updated :heart:

2 Likes

Or close friends your same age. My cousin has had two fall ill with covid, both very active, as she is. Both are no longer sick, but one has 38% of his lung capacity - no more marathons. The other is in a care facility with no clear way to ever breathing on her own. A friend of mine - RN in a NYC suburban hospital reported in April that their ICU had expanded to 3 floors of the hospital and they were short on personnel and equipment.

And yet I personally know no one who knows theyā€™ve been sick with covid. Iā€™m quite convinced this virus has been awful in certain areas tho Iā€™ve gotten that info from real folks, so to speak. While in other places, itā€™s what virus?

I think weā€™re most of us fatigued from misinformation, late info and just plain ignorance on the part of the media. After SO many months why do we not have real valid info?

Probably more folks than weā€™ll ever know are depending on their own common sense and ability to decipher info.

Weā€™re going to a city 100 miles away this weekend to a karate tournament. Itā€™s not necessary, at all. The folks running the tournament have worked closely with the county health service. Everybodyā€™s doing all the things weā€™re meant to do to continue healthy. We all hope we have no spike traced back to the several hundred people at this tournament because we need to discover ways to successfully move forward.

6 Likes

Stories like your cousinā€™s friends are what really scare me. Hitting a marathon runner that hardā€¦we canā€™t assume that because we are fit and healthy we will get through it just fine if we catch it.

I only have a couple of acquaintances who have had it, one seems to have no ill effects and the other is still badly affected though she had it in March. But my area has jumped in to the top ten worst in England this week.

4 Likes

This is the problem with covid - those one out of ten that really get impacted. We can never hear or maybe even know of the 5 out of ten that barely had any symptoms. My cousin - Chicago being one of the hot spots - also had two friends who were both sick - the sore muscles- high fever sick - for a couple of weeks who now seem fine.

Such a crap shoot - if you have that idiom over there.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll say it again here: this is so like polio. I very much recall the fear. Any slight mention of a sore muscle or being tired was cause for real alarm. So much celebration with a vaccine.

Reading now that polio wasnā€™t that contagious or deadly is such a disconnect. The hype apparently a marketing technique to raise funds for a vaccine. I only have one source for this info, but decades after, thereā€™s probably little innuendo.

The thing with polio was no cure and no idea who would be next. We really donā€™t like uncertainty.

4 Likes