Poll Time! Best Walt Disney Animation Film FINAL ROUND

Amazingly we are down to just two options after Round 2 and so today’s poll is for all the marbles!

What is the best Walt Disney Animation Studios film?

• Beauty and the Beast (1991)
  • The Lion King (1994)

0 voters

May the best film win! (Cause, duh, that’s what this whole poll is about. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Jeff's Official Polling Rules for Cynics and Skeptics

In case of a tournament, the following protocols will be followed:

• All voters are eligible to participate regardless of their familiarity with the various options
  • Voters may cast or change their vote as desired until the poll is closed (generally timed)
  • The first option to receive over 50% in any round upon closing of the poll is deemed the winner
  • The percentage displayed by the forum software will be deemed the official result, regardless of the absolute number of votes cast (i.e., rounding differences may be decisive)
  • If no option receives over 50%, additional rounds will be held
    • All options receiving 15% or more will advance to the next round
    • If all options have received 15% or more, the option receiving the lowest % of the vote will be eliminated
    • In the case of a tie, the option receiving the higher % in the previous round will advance
      • If there is still a tie after following the above rules, the option listed first by the forum software in the results will advance
  • All results are final – no recounts, re-dos, challenges, or complaints will be accepted; however, discussion and debate is welcome.
  • Have a magical day! :rainbow::european_castle::fireworks:

Just going to repost this here:

5 Likes

Counterpoint…

Sir Elton John :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

5 Likes

Since I haven’t spoken to it before, I will also make the case for The Lion King:

• Fun, catchy songs by Elton John and Tim Rice
  • Beautiful animation - especially the opening Circle of Life
  • Great score by Hans Zimmer
  • Lovable characters, including Timon & Pumba, young and old Simba & Nala, Mufasa, Rafiki, Zazu, etc.
  • Delectably detestable villain, scar, with a killer musical number
  • Inspiring and relevant story about discovering who you are and being loyal to the ones who depend on you
  • One of the most action-packed Disney movies, with the stampede and the final battle

I watched The Lion King many times as a kid and listened to the songs over and over. I have a Nala stuffed animal that I keep by my bed. (Story here). It has had a lasting impact on me.

In short, I believe either of these films is a worthy winner.

7 Likes

4 Likes

It is THE reason there is now an animated film category in the Oscars. I think that pretty much says it all. Plus when it was nominated for Best Picture that was back when there were only 5 nominated films! Unlike today when 30 get nominated (okay I know it’s only 10 but …).

3 Likes

Hakuna matata! May the best film win.

As you cast your vote, remember who you are. Remember… remember…

9 Likes

Both are great movies, but I take issue with Disney’s lack of willingness to admit Lion King was based off and, and potentially stolen, from other sources. (Yes, I know the counter arguments…but, frankly, I don’t believe them.) So, while Lion King is a masterpiece in many regards, why Disney couldn’t just admit that it was inspired by other works is beyond me…especially considering they make it very clear and obvious that’s the case in almost every other movie they make.

As such, that is a significant hit against the film for me. Beauty and the Beast is CLEARLY inspired by Beauty and the Beast, and so there is no issue there.

Having said that, I can see why some people might pick TLK over BatB…they took animation to the next level with their realistic portrayal of complex animal interactions, etc. Just amazing. And the story, overall, DOES hit heartstrings in a way I don’t think BatB does.

Still…I went with BatB, since TLM didn’t make it to this round.

1 Like

Are you talking about Hamlet? Or something else?

2 Likes

Hamlet, and Kimba the White Lion.

1 Like

Such a Jeff thing to say. But also totally true. I want to re-evaluate before automatically picking BatB. This deserves more thought than just my gut instinct.

5 Likes

Ah, yes, I recall that controversy now.

The Hamlet thing I am convinced was just coincidence, based on behind-the-scenes interviews I’ve seen both from the time and from later looking back.

The Kimba thing is interesting and could potentially have something more sinister behind it, but my default is to believe that any similarities are coincidental to having two stories about lions in Africa. At worst, the story writers and animators had seen the film as kids and either subconsciously included elements of the earlier work or knowingly put in homages, but ultimately it’s a different enough film that it would be improper to credit it.

So many stories contain similar threads and elements - it’s a staple of storytelling across all media to borrow and enhance on what has come before.

I’ll have to watch Kimba in its entirety someday to make a final judgment.

1 Like

I believe, from all I’ve read/seen about it, that Disney purposely changed the story enough to claim, “See! It is different!” But I can’t help but think the number of coincidences make me struggle to see them as actual coincidences!

I don’t think we’ll know the truth, for sure…but I’m convinced Disney has been less than forthright about the matter.

1 Like

I don’t think they would be foolish enough to do that. But maybe. The story itself is quite different though.

I think you find as many or more coincidences comparing things like Star Wars or Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings. And while people make find those similarities interesting and fun to point out, I don’t think most people consider that plagiarism.

2 Likes

I missed all the other rounds. soooo… Mary Poppins and a story. The other day while walking to IG Mary Poppins was ending her photo op and we were walking side by side

Me: Hello Miss Poppins, how are you today?
Mary: Very good thank you. I love your umbrella. They are such wonderful things to have to protect our delicate skin and for traveling.
Me: Well you have a magic umbrella
Mary: Nonsence! This is Polly. What is your umbrella’s name?
Me: Dot (on the spot b/c is polka-dots)
Mary: May we call her Dotty? Polly and Dotty will have so much fun traveling together. Next time dear. We’ll be in contact. You have a lovely rest of your day.

19 Likes

Fair. Based on what’s known though, I lean toward loosely similar plot elements but different overall themes and motivations. I don’t think Taken copied Finding Nemo or Avatar copied Dances With Wolves or Pocahontas. And Aladdin and Les Mis have some similarities, but there’s only so many totally unique stories that can be told without running into some common plot points.

Maybe Lion King’s similarities are a bit more correlated than other examples, but I’d use the measure of would someone have a right to sue, and I doubt it.

3 Likes

I saw a TedTalk once about how our capacity as humans to create something truly new is not limitless. It’s why things happen like Vanilla Ice/Queen/David Bowie. Sure there’s sometime real intention to steal work. But many times it’s coincidence.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree at all. But I think TLK and the stories from which it appears to “draws inspiration” from I feel are in another category.

Avatar and Dances With Wolves are similar, yes, but not because Avatar stole from Dances With Wolves…but because both were influenced by the same historical backdrop of the Native American trail of tears, etc.

Anyhow, as I said, I’ve read through all the arguments for and against (followed the story for years), and I just don’t believe Disney on the matter. But I also know that there is no way to prove it, one way or the other.

2 Likes

My vote is for the Contemporary Resort.

18 Likes

:rofl: :laughing: :rofl:

this poll is off the rails @Jeff_AZ

4 Likes