TRON Lightcycle Ride at MK might not open until 2022, construction to be delayed

Have your therapist explain this to my hubby! pretty please LOL

4 Likes

The way she explains it to me is like this:

By having something to look forward to, no matter what your circumstances, you bring happiness into your life well before the event actually takes place. In fact, sometimes the happiness in anticipation is greater than the happiness actually experienced in the momentā€” thatā€™s known as ā€œrosy prospection."

Everyone should be able to pull out a calendar and see at least a few fun things scheduled in the future weeks.

5 Likes

Yup, for me even if itā€™s a year, year and a half away it gives me something to plan and dream that is an escape from reality. But hubby likes to spend money on things. I really donā€™t care about stuff and itā€™s all about the future trips. He doesnā€™t understand what this does for my sanity as he likes routine,

2 Likes

Hmmmm ā€¦

in the midst of a national lockdown here, 60k new cases today in the U.K., a 50% increase of hospitalisations with Covid in just 6 days ā€¦

nope, nothing on any calendar yet. Except that I should be vaccinated by April.

3 Likes

Youā€™re not alone! Reminds me of this thread from earlier this year:

2 Likes

Yes, this.

1 Like

So important. This becoming so much more difficult over the last 10 months for most people is not the same as losing a loved one, but it has been damaging in its own way. I hope we donā€™t lose sight of the toll on mental health the virus has taken at the expense of only focusing on cases and deaths.

3 Likes

We decided on about August 1 to take a last minute trip to WDW on August 12. After it was over, I kind of regretted not having that anticipation period. Donā€™t get me wrong, we had a great time! But it would have been nice to have been looking forward to it for a couple of months.

3 Likes

If only they made a website with tools and tips to help people facilitate these needs to have something to plan.

Maybe something to do with touring different places? Itā€™s on the tip of my tongue. :wink:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got it!

Traveling ā€¦ Itineraries.

Iā€™ll go register the domain name.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I havenā€™t been anywhere at all either. For me, right now, itā€™s projects / goals that I keep in front of me. I made that week of Disney recipes in September. I have craft / home improvement ideas. Since Iā€™m just stuck at home, I worked out more than I have in 20+ years in 2020 and met my ā€œdreamā€ weight. - back to what I was in before I became a ā€œdadā€. (Now, I need some muscles / abs! Thatā€™s my 2021 goal)

IME - it doesnā€™t have to be a trip to look forward to, just something to keep me focused. :grinning:

3 Likes

The soonest I have a potential trip planned is in July 2022, so thereā€™s hope.

Last year our grandniece indicated she wanted to see Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon Canyon in 2021. This week Iā€™ve begun serious planning as summer lodging availability is already diminished.

Working out daily mileages, interesting lodging, interspersed with our necessary points of interest makes me content.

But I think itā€™s the doing, in the now. The puzzle of it. I have had much fun planning trips Iā€™ve never expected to actually follow thru on. Disney and non Disney. On those trips, it never rains, transportation never breaks down and no one is ever tired of the road, or the crowds.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a toss up for me between Disney parks and national parks. And of the ones Iā€™ve been to, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are right at the top. But if you go to Yellowstone you might as well hit Grand Teton too. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, yes. Grand Teton is spectacular. Itā€™s on the list.

We have a short window. I told my grandniece itā€™ll be like a 4 park wipeout, since she wants Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. Kinda skimming the high spots.

Coupla decades ago we were heading home from a family reunion in Idaho and I asked our two youngest grandkids did they want to repeat Yellowstone or Great Sand Dunes. Fully expecting to hear Yellowstone. They picked Great Sand Dunes which was alright, too.

2 Likes

What resources do you use to plan National Park trips? I need a good planning site for every destination!!

We just did a four park wipeout last summer. It was Crater Lake, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier.

5 Likes

I remember you talking about that. That was covering some ground, as well.

In maybe 12 days the plan is to cover some 3000 miles, and four national parks and a monument. Seems ambitious to me . . .

2 Likes

Well, I use an atlas. And a calculator, as well as just googling how far between these two obscure tiny towns - altho I donā€™t use Google as a search. Usually duck duck go.

I use nps.gov for ā€œplanning your tripā€ info. Somebody in that department years ago was smart because thereā€™s a wonderful reason to the parkā€™s URLs. Yellowstone is Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service) while Grand Canyon Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) and Great Sand Dunes is Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service).

I like TripAdvisor for narrowing down lodging choices. There are other resources. Iā€™m used to TripAdvisor. I do generally reserve at a particular lodgingā€™s website tho. Mostly because on a trip like this, weā€™re as likely to stay at quirky places as the usual conventional places.

We used to do trips like this for a month or more at a time, plenty of time at each park. Lots of side trips. I would just search - one thing leading to another - for interesting things along the way and around our stops. We camped for these trips and I used an actual campground directory, paper variety, a lot, as well as a book that detailed all the grades on the mountain passes.

This trip is a fast one, and no new parks, so Iā€™m not searching much.

2 Likes