TRON Lightcycle Ride at MK might not open until 2022, construction to be delayed

From the story,

According to a post on the WDWMAGIC Forums from a reliable poster who is involved in the supply chain for the construction of the coaster, construction will come to a halt at the end of the year, and will not resume until October 2021.
The plan is to complete the exterior canopies prior to the halt in construction, which will at least provide a visually clean sightline at the back of Tomorrowland.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/tron/news/19oct2020-tron-lightcycle-run-looking-increasingly-unlikely-to-open-in-2021.htm

1 Like

Makes me wonder, if true, if they will get enough done to be able to re-open the train.

2 Likes

Noooooooooooooooo!!
We are JUST starting to plan a Dec 2021 trip specifically for Tron!

1 Like

In fiction writing, it is said that it is the author’s job in writing something compelling to build up the main character, and then slowly take away everything that they care about until there is nothing left. And then, when you offer a glimmer of hope, you take that away as well.

I feel like Disney, as of late, seems to think their guests are interested in reading a compelling novel. We’re not. Really, we’re not.

5 Likes

Well said, @ryan1. It really has been a rollercoaster of on-and-off Disney trip possibilities… and now this. I will just have to wait and see if this gets confirmed by Disney. The only thing we might book for now is my parents Timeshare, which I assume we can cancel if needed. I will double check the cancellation policy before booking it for sure…

1 Like

Guardians is also affected.

1 Like

Yeah… this is my concern too. This goes along with what I was saying last week that my trip might not be until 2022. If the new stuff isn’t ready & there’s a flood of people wanting to “make-up” 2020 trips next year. For me it’ll be worth waiting. (I’ll either get a Universal AP or do the DLR trip I missed this year.)

Not gonna go back to WDW until all the new stuff is open & it’s running smoother

4 Likes

After our upcoming December trip, we’ve talked about our next Disney trip not being until 2023 or 2024. So with these delays, that seems to be almost guaranteed minimum wait now.

2 Likes

Yes, that is the wisest choice in theory I think. It’s just harder for me to actually do. My excitement at a possible WDW trip gets the better of me…

2 Likes

Yeah… I actually NEED something to look forward to for my mental health. (No joke! It’s something my therapist insists is good for me.) That’s why I may do Universal next year. I’ve never had an AP & I’d get to do at least 4 long weekend trips for the same cost as one normal week or so of WDW. Plus their new ride, Veloicoaster, is supposed to actually be open.

3 Likes

Yes! I think it’s very important!!

I was supposed to go in 2020 and am now going in 2021. I see no need to wait any longer since I’ll already be experiencing a couple of attractions for the first time (SDD, RotR, FEA, Remy?) and can save GotG and Tron for my next trip (probably 2024).

Everyone’s timing is a little different (depending on frequency of visits and new attraction schedule), but if you are always delaying until the next big thing opens, you will never go!

11 Likes

No plans to go back before summer 2021.

This is why we decided to go ahead and take the trip we just got back from. I think 2021/2022 is going to be swamped. We were originally going to go in early 2022 for our second, and maybe last, family trip. We just got back. I’m hopeful for one more trip maybe in 4-5 years, but I can’t handle the exact same things being closed again that were closed on the last trip (almost 2 years ago) and the exact same things not being open yet. We will do other things in the meantime!

3 Likes

My therapist says the same to me!

1 Like

Why do you guys think Universal is able to finish rides so much quicker than WDW? Just because Disney has so many irons in the fire maybe?

In general? Universal don’t announce rides until they are pretty much ready to start construction; Disney tend to announce them at D23 and then may not start for another 6 months and that may just be ground prep work.

But as for now, their whole 3rd gate park is on hold. And pretty much everyone connected to it has been laid off, including their creative team. There was a time when people thought that park would pick up any Imagineers laid off from WDW.

Also there’s another difference. Disney plan out when they will open certain new lands / rides. It isn’t always as soon as they’re ready, witness Ratatouille now.

But to give an example of how Disney operate, the Star Wars Land was announced at D23 in August 2015. Although the Backlot Tour had already closed, that area was for TSL. On the other hand the LMA stunt show didn’t close until early 2016.

1 Like

If that soon, Universal did not “officially” announce their new VelociCoaster until a few weeks ago. Construction started last year.

2 Likes

Of course Disney did that with Bay Lake Tower. :joy:

But that wasn’t a much anticipated new ride.