TRON Lightcycle Ride at MK might not open until 2022, construction to be delayed

We have a trip booked end of May beginning of June 2021.

We haven’t done Slinky Dog Dash or Rise of the Resistance. I’m just not sure that’s enough to drag me back at this point.

Ugh.

I. Want. To. Go. :::throwing giant adult sized toddler style tantrum:::

But I want what I want and that’s a decent experience with nice things!

The trip is currently on hold with a gift card, so no biggie there.

I keep waiting for some stinking GOOD NEWS…something. Anything. New merch ain’t it. Six snacks coming back ain’t it.

I am so lost, y’all.

3 Likes

I wonder if/when we will see that come back. Right now there is not the demand for it, too many people are not getting back out there.

This is an interesting article about the lack of consumer demand and it starts with WDW.

Consumer anxiety over the continued spread of the pandemic is holding back the recovery by making it impossible to get back to business as usual.

1 Like

We wonder as well. It’s hard for me because our situation here is “what Covid?” I live in a bubble compared to the rest of the country.

Off to read your article…thank you!

Thoughts on the article:

The portion of visitors who are from out-of-state, who are the park’s most lucrative customers, has dropped below 50%.

Part of the reason we didn’t come in from out of state was because of how scaled back everything was, though. It’s a catch 22, unfortunately. DH and I very much wanted to come this fall but as more things were let go, remained closed, etc., the more we decided to wait.

What I can’t figure out, though, is why I formerly shunned UOR yet find myself drawn to them now. I don’t know that they actually DID anything better than Disney with the reopening but it “feels” like they did. Or maybe with them my expectations just aren’t as high so I’m less concerned about being disappointed.

Still upset about this rumor about Tron being delayed until 2022. I wonder if/when Disney might confirm or deny this rumor? I was all excited to book our trip, but now I want to just plan for a later date if the delay does happen. Just wish I knew when that would be…

They’re unlikely to confirm it’s been delayed. Just like they won’t mention anything about Mary Poppins or Reflections Resort being cancelled. Or indeed the Main Street Theatre.

They’ll just not mention it until they can announce a “Coming during Magic Kingdom’s 50th year” publicity drive.

3 Likes

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I guess we’ll just wait a while…

1 Like

Agree. IMHO - It’s because I still feel like I’m getting 90% of the “normal” experience - just shorter hours. They’ve only shut off a few small kiddie rides and nighttime show. They are still doing shows, smaller parades / cavalcades / distanced character meetings. Also, the price is about half of WDW. (You can get an UO AP for the cost of 4 days vs. a WDW AP at the cost of 11 days)

3 Likes

Not to mention I believe you can buy a one day ticket to UOR and get in free for the rest of the year.

2 Likes

Yep! Until about Christmas (FL residents only though)

2 Likes

That should have said Summer 2022…

BlogMickey is running this story again now that the show building has been closed up / weather sealed.

1 Like

I’ve been watching this as well. Just confirms we won’t be taking a trip to WDW in 2021.

1 Like

Word is the construction contracts have been suspended until Fall 2021 with work slated to restart around October.

Which also means the Railroad will almost certainly also remain closed. Difficult to see how it could open unless they spend money on some kind of tunnel for it to go through.

1 Like

Interesting! Current picture of the coaster track coming out of the show building.

2 Likes

Yikes. I’ve heard of breaking the 4th wall but…

1 Like

Years from now that picture will be part of some click bait ad “Epic Construction Failures”

5 Likes

Same! GotG has a very good chance to be delayed as well. I know Len & Jim talked about all GotG needs to do is film the Preshow & other live action elements with the actors. It is scheduled / rumored to happen when the new Thor movie starts filming (Jan 2021 - if all is well).

So… if filming that movie doesn’t go as scheduled it will mean delays for that too!

I’m still keeping my eyes on DLR for 2021 to get my first look at SW:GE and Disney “fix”. I’ll go back to WDW when Tron / GotG / Ratatouille are done. My fear is this, for me, won’t be 2023. (I want a Universal AP for a year of quick trips and both US Disney Parks between 2021 - 2023… we’ll see!)

3 Likes

Guardians was already delayed to 2022 once the parks closed. It didn’t have much to do with the pre-show being ready or not. The list of 2021 “highlights” or whatever we want to call it just confirms it.

It will give Epcot something for it’s 40th anniversary, at least.

2 Likes

Yeah… I kinda figured that was the case. It was Len & Jim optimistic “round up” of WDW construction this week that has / had me hoping it could open this year.