TRON Lightcycle Ride at MK might not open until 2022, construction to be delayed

I agree that mental health is serious issue.

Mass Covid spread, Covid long haul syndrome, and Covid deaths cause mental issues for people and their friends and family. I don’t think the people arguing that others avoid social gatherings and unnecessary travel are losing sight of mental issues … I think they are advocating for a position that would result in less suffering, less death and also less overall mental issues. I think too many in the US have lost sight of this.

I understand and acknowledge that missing out of social gatherings and travel can result in very serious mental issues for some.

I also understand from your posts that you and your family have been personally impacted by Covid so you can speak from experience and feel differently than I do on the issue.

It would be interesting to see how mental health stats in 2019 vs 2020 have changed in the US vs a country like Australia that has been successful in minimizing Covid and related deaths, but had more lockdowns and restrictions. My own guess is that Australians fair better in terms of overall mental health changes too.

3 Likes

I’m going to make personal choices others might not make in regards to sending my kid to school because she’s depressed or visiting WDW, air b&bs in remote places in nature for my own mental health. I would and did lockdown for months. I barely left the house from Mar to Oct and only to do car side groceries, to go restaurant food pickup from the car or take my dogs and kids to the dr when needed and I took my kid out of school voluntarily at the first mention of spread and before it was closed officially. When I went to Disney in Oct it felt so weird to be out and I was anxious around others, etc. it was something I had to mentally talk myself thru. I still do car groceries and wear masks when I go out but kid is back in school as of Nov and I’m planning my 2nd wdw trip. We can only take so much and when others didn’t voluntarily do what we did and the government didn’t make them we ended up with physically sick people and mentally ill people from the two groups and the worst of both worlds.

1 Like

Fair points. Sorry, I know this is the wrong thread for this. I was being very general with the thought of once cases and deaths are down to the point where there is not constant concern about them, I hope all the mental health issues created by the virus and our responses to the virus can also get some needed attention.

I appreciate this. I think with most things, there is room for people to respectfully disagree and justify their opinions based on legitimate factors that they prioritize. I do think how my family and I have bounced back well from covid and only spread it to 2 others unknowingly who are also now recovered, does somewhat validate the personal concern level I always had. We are young and healthy enough to deal with it and are around so few other people that we’re not likely to be super spreaders. On a macro level, I just don’t expect Americans to be able to come together and sing Kumbaya about anything. There are too many cultural, political, religious, and other differences to unite on how to handle something like this, and I just accept that and do what I think is best for what I can control.

4 Likes

I wonder how much left there will be to do once construction resumes Oct 2021. Obviously no one knows, but it’s fun to guess!
I am guessing Tron won’t be ready by Jan 2022 for example, but it feels like it would be done by May 2022. Only time will tell, but I want to start figuring out 2022 trip dates. Our next trip will be centered around Tron, as the original movie is one of DH’s favs. But we have to also work around his teaching schedule. Oh, the fun of planning!

Construction was stopped. That, to me, suggests there is still quite a bit of work to do on the track and the internal part of the building and surrounds (otherwise why not just continue for a few weeks and get it finished). And then there’s the canopy and aesthetic bits on the outside. Alongside that, perhaps, they have to add the “effects”, whatever that entails. Then they need to do testing, extensive testing. And then training the CMs.

Fall of 2022 is much more likely IMO, and it could be even later than that.

Think of the original schedule, which was for the 50th, so Oct 2021. It’s just been delayed for 9 months. That’s July 2022 at the earliest.

1 Like

That’s true, July 2022 is probably a better guess. That’s too bad, because summer is too hot for me. If that was the case, we’d probably end up doing Dec 2022. That’s just so far away!

Although… I guess if we have to wait 2 more years… maybe we can afford Deluxe again. That would be pretty cool! And close to MK/Tron!

If I had to wager a guess, I expect it will be done on or before October 1, 2022…exactly 40 years after Epcot first opened.

1 Like

Interesting thought, but not sure how Tron would relate to Epcot?
Isn’t Guardians gonna be in Epcot though? They might try to get Guardians done by Oct 1, and they gotta finish Tron first from what I’ve heard. So in a way, that guess could work! Still that would also mean a Dec 2022 trip. Or even Jan 2023. (shudders)

Well, this is true. But my thinking is that when the 40th anniversary for Epcot starts, everyone won’t be JUST going to Epcot. Disney will want crowds going to the other parks as well, and needs something to draw them/excite them. So, it would make sense for Tron to be the “new thing” at MK that helps distribute crowds.

I’m not saying it won’t be sooner. But I just mean, I don’t expect it to be any LATER than Oct. 1 for this reason.

1 Like

How about DLR to tide you over with the new Marvel Land?

1 Like

Unfortunately, DLR is out of our price-range as a tide-us-over trip. It’s possible we’ll use our AP’s at Universal for another trip in about a year.

I would LOVE to see the new Marvel stuff though! Someday!

Interesting. Where did you hear that, and what was the reason? Work was going on both simultaneously before Covid struck. Not even sure the contractor was the same for both. I’m struggling to find a reason for Tron to have to be ready first, and haven’t seen or heard anything to that effect.

Except that Tron was meant to be ready for the 50th, and won’t be.

Yes. Definitely. Plans have changed for Disney due to COVID for sure. I’m conjecturing that the modified plan (including the recent indication that they are stopping construction for now) is that since they know they can’t be ready for the 50th, they will instead target having it ready by the 40th. There could be some additional reasons why Disney would purposely wait closer to the 40th rather than sooner, as well, due to fear of crushing crowds due to pent up demand from COVID, PLUS the 50th. So if Tron is pushed back, it would keep the crowds more manageable, spreading them out more.

Again, just conjecture on my part.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is primarily a financial decision.

But I agree that they will want it ready by Epcot’s 40th, if nothing else to draw people away from Epcot.

I read it on here somewhere. Can’t remember who mentioned it though.

Tron.

Personally, I look forward to More Vaguely Remembered IP Magic.
HS needs a spinning tea-party Black Cauldron ride.

3 Likes

Don’t forget their newest land: The Wizarding World of Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

5 Likes

:flushed:

Only if we can add in “The Black Hole”! My parents took me to the theatre to see it. They thought it was going to be the next big Star Wars! They bought me the action figures and everything :laughing:

(Or we can just retheme Space Mt!)

3 Likes