The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

I didn’t think people saw this with BG1? Do they?

2 Likes

Hmm, see what? I’m confused about your question (a common occurrence for me)

Also: is there a better thread for me to nerd out about data? Don’t want to clutter a thread that may be meant for park goers looking for help on the topic.

1 Like

Oh! Many of us love data too, so the usual answer is please add data anywhere you see it fitting!

My personal opinion is I would love you to post some of you observations here since there have been discussions regarding “drops vs what you call bounce”.

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/genie-ll-daily-drops/82151?u=principaltinker

I would also be interested a discussion of your view vs BG1 view?

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/new-genie-ll-guardians-bg1-link/86504?u=principaltinker

4 Likes

In Len’s post, a user asked if you’re looking for beta testers in the parks or at home?

I also clicked on the link you provided in your profile. The banner mentions that your app is free in July and August while in beta. What do you anticipate the cost of the app to be once testing is over?

3 Likes

The 10 minute offer expiration is pretty easy to verify with the API. A lot of that reddit post was speculation of varying levels of believability (I don’t think everyone’s app crashing right at 7 AM was the cause for the ~7:10 non-drop drop), but the 10 minute expiration is fact unless someone else has done more recent testing to prove otherwise.

6 Likes

In my experience the bouncing of times is an ILL problem, not a regular Genie+ problem.

5 Likes

Dumbest of questions…did you get this screenshot on your phone? Where do I go to find this screen?

2 Likes

Example… For Slinky, between 08:05 and 08:15 on 2022-07-15 the prevailing offer was either 19:10 or 19:15. But at 08:10 the TipBoard was offering a return time of 12:00. It went away very quickly.

Based on the (frequently ephemeral) data the TipBoard is very clearly bouncing between multiple back-ends – which seems obvious from a system of this size. Part of my guess is based on some of the API calls previously available in Postman – has since gone private. Some of the calls referenced ‘global-pool-A, global-pool-B’, etc.

If I had to build something like this I’d have the backend (the fastpass system, literally https://fastpass.wdprapps.disney.com; crt.sh link) send the latest inventory option to an event processing service, then the TipBoard service (Vas) would pull in the data and store it in DBaaS (E.g. redis) for distribution to the users. Lightweight, real-time synchronization not necessary and gives the users what is the most plausible prevailing offer. If one Vas node has a problem pulling from the events (or is restarting, or is overloaded, or is an old node coming back online, etc etc) then you’d see the bouncing behavior.

My opinion is that the TipBoard is apocryphal. BUT, they could be legitimate offers that are just being scooped up by people very quickly. Hard to tell without more hard data (a bounce confirmed booked by a guest).

2 Likes

I booked a number of what you describe as bounces on my trip a few weeks ago with lots of refreshing. I think these bounces (as opposed to drops) are cancellations that are returned to the pool.

3 Likes

Check a pinned thread in the La Cava category

3 Likes

It is the BG1 screen.

4 Likes

Thank you, Randall! I’ve been intimidated by BG1 so far. I started reading the thread a few weeks ago and then felt overwhelmed by it all and decided to revisit it later. I’ll give it another read through and see if it makes better sense to me now. I’ve only heard positives about BG1, so I’m determined to figure it out!

4 Likes

Have you watched a video and tried to set it up?I found that once I did that- got stuck- and then asked for help- I could see how it was set up on my phone.

4 Likes

I have not watched a video on it yet, but I will definitely do that. I’m a visual learner, so watching someone demo BG1 will most likely be easier for me to understand than reading instructions. Do you know if there is a video linked in the main thread?

3 Likes

I set it up on my phone yesterday using the video (linked in the first post in that thread) and it was pretty easy.

2 Likes

There are videos for different phones in the first post .

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/new-genie-ll-guardians-bg1-link/86504?u=principaltinker

I don’t know why my links don’t post right now.

2 Likes

The latest MDE version hides return times on the 1st screen of the Tip Board from 7am-730am. Presumably this is to reduce complaints about return times shifting unexpectedly, by not displaying a return time until it’s locked further into the booking process. For advanced users this is a step back, because you have less information to guide you on what to book.

Blog article link

8 Likes

Accidentally cancelled one of my bookings for splash mountain and it immediately appeared in Merlock with lighting bolt alongside.

When I tried to re book it the reservation was already snapped up by someone else.

Thankfully a drop landed so was able to get earlier ride time than originally booked.

Have seen this a lot and now adopted the refresh Merlock if I don’t like the Genie+ return time I hit refresh multiple times and usually a earlier one on pops up (most times with lighting bolt beside it).

My theory is all of the avails beyond drop times are cancelations, but get them quick as they disappear in a flash.

6 Likes

DD and I would often just hit refresh again and again. Sometimes we’d catch what we hoped for and other times not. But it was easy to try and satisfying when we’d get a better LL time.

4 Likes

So is the after-return time grace period now 90 minutes?

4 Likes