The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

This one kind of surprised me since it’s such a new ride. But I think they’re probably trying to beef up G+ sales at Epcot, and they know they’ll sell out of ILL for Cosmic Rewind.

But this does change my Epcot touring strategy…

6 Likes

We were just there. The park opened at 8 for resort guests. We rolled in around 8:30 and the line stretched all the way to the end of the UK pavilion where it meets Canada.

I’m really surprised they would make this change so soon.

I guess they are going to add GOTG as the ILL instead of Remy.

4 Likes

I suspect you’re right - they are quietly trying to improve the G+ value prop.

5 Likes

Yep, they’ve announced that as well.

5 Likes

But that won’t start until May 31. From May 27-30, Remy and GOTG are both ILL.

3 Likes

Here’s today’s latest Genie update :roll_eyes: :man_shrugging:

No more G+ presales??? Seems like they’d make more getting people to add it to their length of stay as opposed to choosing al carte.

5 Likes

Two things that I think are both true:

1. they are going to raise the price over time so they don’t want people to be locked in
  2. they want fewer people to buy Genie+ so that its benefits are better and so it doesn’t impact standby as much
6 Likes

I really hope so! I know that may sound odd to ask for higher prices. However, I’ve never had to buy a Universal Express Pass because they limit sales & charge on a demand based system. This means traditional queues move “normally”. (I know I’m not telling you anything new!)

I really think G+ should be $150 / person per day at least. (and maybe limited to only one park per sale… If you buy it you are committing to that park that day. Or maybe they have to wait until 2pm or later to pick passes at a second park. idk - just Blue Skying ideas!)

4 Likes

I agree with you. The fewer who use G+ the better for everyone else.

4 Likes

If they were going to charge that much, they would have to go full Universal and guarantee access to every ride. Not 2 or 3 that they tell you you will get at the moment.

9 Likes

I’m totally ok with that! It’s not impossible or even extremely difficult to implement. The majority of people “feel” like the must purchase G+ just to get on most rides. So they and most everyone else buy it. Then those queues are too full to accommodate more than the “guaranteed” 2 rides. At a dramatically higher price point you could offer “full access” because they will be limiting the sales and charging an exorbitant cost. (I understand that it has to be cheaper than a VIP tour…or charge more for those as well!)

3 Likes

Agreed.

I think another reason they’re not selling in advance is because they are changing the features and they don’t want people to buy something that they don’t know what the features will be. Bad business practice.

9 Likes

True.

3 Likes

My first thought was they are preparing to make changes.

5 Likes

I am soooooo glad I am taking a “wait and see” attitude on when/if our next WDW trip will be. I will gladly continue to wait until the dust settles (in a few years, hopefully??) on the hot mess that is WDW. This is what works for me (I’m old, I can wait). I am so sorry for all of you that are actively dealing with planning a real trip.

Meanwhile, I hope to go to DLR in the next couple of years or so (wintering in AZ).

4 Likes

So what I’ve gathered from another discussion:

• Disney is determined to solve this without price increases
  • Variable pricing is not on the table at the moment
  • They are going to significantly limit sales after June 8, and then ramp up slowly
  • They are planning a much greater overhaul of the system, but that’s going to take time to implement
  • If you want it for 2022 without the hassle, add it to your ticket now, before June 8.
8 Likes

I have a package with Genie+/PH tickets for late 2022. So, I guess I’m stuck with an unknown Genie+ function bc if I cancel and rebook, I will pay a ticket upcharge since prices have increased since I purchased.

Very interested to see what changes they make. I love all the speculation. Wish they’d just let some of you revamp the system.

5 Likes

We have 8 day park hoppers for a trip that includes extended family for this October. I was planning on purchasing G+ for certain park days until I saw the update this morning. I got a great deal on my PH tickets, so to upgrade to include G+ for all the days is $174 per ticket (incl tax). If it were just myself, husband and kids, I’d take my chances, but with my senior parents, brother and gf (who haven’t been to the parks in 20 years, do you all recommend I purchase before June 8th?

2 Likes

I would not want to try to buy all of those G+ each morning (or night if you stay up until midnight) and then have to do the actual selections later . If it were me, I’d buy now.

3 Likes

While I’d prefer it personally (even though I’d never buy it myself), I feel like it’d be tough for Disney to switch to the Express Pass model. They conditioned people with FP+ to think it’s impossible to enjoy the parks without it. Before Genie+ was released, there were an awful lot of folks around these parts that swore they wouldn’t go back until some form of line skip system returned. I doubt many of them are down for $150 per person per day, though.

3 Likes