The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

I am soooooo glad I am taking a “wait and see” attitude on when/if our next WDW trip will be. I will gladly continue to wait until the dust settles (in a few years, hopefully??) on the hot mess that is WDW. This is what works for me (I’m old, I can wait). I am so sorry for all of you that are actively dealing with planning a real trip.

Meanwhile, I hope to go to DLR in the next couple of years or so (wintering in AZ).

4 Likes

So what I’ve gathered from another discussion:

• Disney is determined to solve this without price increases
  • Variable pricing is not on the table at the moment
  • They are going to significantly limit sales after June 8, and then ramp up slowly
  • They are planning a much greater overhaul of the system, but that’s going to take time to implement
  • If you want it for 2022 without the hassle, add it to your ticket now, before June 8.
8 Likes

I have a package with Genie+/PH tickets for late 2022. So, I guess I’m stuck with an unknown Genie+ function bc if I cancel and rebook, I will pay a ticket upcharge since prices have increased since I purchased.

Very interested to see what changes they make. I love all the speculation. Wish they’d just let some of you revamp the system.

5 Likes

We have 8 day park hoppers for a trip that includes extended family for this October. I was planning on purchasing G+ for certain park days until I saw the update this morning. I got a great deal on my PH tickets, so to upgrade to include G+ for all the days is $174 per ticket (incl tax). If it were just myself, husband and kids, I’d take my chances, but with my senior parents, brother and gf (who haven’t been to the parks in 20 years, do you all recommend I purchase before June 8th?

2 Likes

I would not want to try to buy all of those G+ each morning (or night if you stay up until midnight) and then have to do the actual selections later . If it were me, I’d buy now.

3 Likes

While I’d prefer it personally (even though I’d never buy it myself), I feel like it’d be tough for Disney to switch to the Express Pass model. They conditioned people with FP+ to think it’s impossible to enjoy the parks without it. Before Genie+ was released, there were an awful lot of folks around these parts that swore they wouldn’t go back until some form of line skip system returned. I doubt many of them are down for $150 per person per day, though.

3 Likes

I have booked Genie+ day of multiple times for up to 7 people with no issues. I am sleeping at midnight, so I do it at 6:55 am. I only slept in once - at least it was an MK day, so we still got JC, just later in the day.

2 Likes

Let’s think this through- this automatically excludes AP holders.

3 Likes

It doesn’t automatically exclude - they can still.buy day of. But it potentially excludes them if they sell out.

5 Likes

They already have a number of pre-sold tickets with Genie+ out there- non of them APs.

If they are going to significantly limit sales after June 8th it will impact APs

5 Likes

I suspect you’re right - which sucks.

4 Likes

I don’t know why I am complaining- I refuse to use it :grinning:

8 Likes

It is about having the OPTION to buy if you wanted to, moreso than actually wanting to!

5 Likes

This is SO SO true.

4 Likes

I’d be inclined to buy it now, while you can. I’ve read multiple reports that Disney underestimated demand for G+, and fixing it would require raising the price or limiting availability or both.

5 Likes

I agree, as much as I hate spending another $174 x 8 of us. I was hoping to just purchase it a few of our days instead of all of them. I know if I have it for all the days, I will make use of it and then I won’t be stressed every day wondering if it will even be available.

5 Likes

I can imagine how difficult it is for them to decide on changes. If we had a committee of Liners making the rules, I’m convinced we would never settle on anything! :joy: You need a dictator sometime. But (cough) preferably one who has been to the parks and listened to guests and at least knows all the pros and cons of each approach so they are fully aware of the issues they cause by going with one approach over another.

6 Likes

My concern is now that they are limiting sales will enough people purchase at midnight to make being able to even purchase Genie + harder at 6:55am or even Sold Out? Maybe there aren’t enough planners or obsessives, like us, to make it something to worry about. (but I do anyway!!)

6 Likes

I suspect you may be right on that. But hopefully they address this somewhat by adjusting the actual times to something more consumer friendly.

4 Likes

It boggles me that if that they don’t just start it at park opening or like 30 minutes before. Is starting 1 - 2 hours later really gonna make a difference? Having worked Ops there’s really not much data you can get at midnight - 7am that’s gonna radically affect anything. CM schedules are made well in advance and WDW “knows” what rides need extra attention based on popularity.

idk…maybe they are just nervous about what happened when boarding groups were still needed when RotR opened. They didn’t do well at handling that many people at the start of operations back then :man_shrugging:

5 Likes