The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

So were we. I panicked today when I saw the announcement and added G+ for our family of 4 in July. I know we don’t need it every day but I just couldn’t cope with the stress of possibly not getting it on the days we really want it. I kinda resent it, but at this point it’s a drop in the resentment bucket. I’ll be totally over it by the time school gets out and focused on our first trip since 2019!

7 Likes

I’ve read where others try to add G+ for length of ticket, they also have to pay the ticket price difference.

6 Likes

I’ve heard of this too.

I guess I need to go ahead and get my tickets with genie now for our 2022 Christmas trip. Wasn’t planning to purchase yet but want to lock in the price and not stress about buying it day of.

3 Likes

Question for someone who has been to WDW recently (under the current Lighting Lane rules)…how many LL is realistic to snag at each park? I know Disney says 2-3, but I’m wondering if that is a real number or low number? Thank you!

2 Likes

That is low. You can get at least 3-4 worthwhile ones plus as many as 3-4 ok ones at MK or HS. At AK and Epcot you can basically get one for every ride that is eligible if you stay long enough. Not sure how Remy will affect that when it goes to Genie+ at the end of the month.

7 Likes

Yeah, if you’re knowledgable about how to use it and you stay on top of it, it’s a low number. It’s likely an average that would’ve been calculated based on many, many visitors who did varying levels of research before using it, as well as families that bought G+ for every day of their trip but didn’t always use it, or weren’t at a park all day, every day.

Course, even those who only get three LLs can still be saving three or more hours of wait time, if they’re three good ones.

2 Likes

It also depends how long you’re stay in the parks. If you’re there most of the day you can definitely use more LLs BUT if you’re kids are not going to last that long (mine) you probably will only get 2 if they’re for high demand rides. After that your times may get to late for you to use them.

2 Likes

Recent experience:
5/10 - Epcot (Arrival 11:30AM) ILL: 7DMT, LL: Soarin’, MS, TT, FEA (Departed 9PM)
5/11 - HS (Arrival 8:30AM) ILL: ROTR, LL: MMRR, TSMM, SDD, (Departed 3PM)
5/12 - MK (Arrival 3PM) ILL: 7DMT, LL: PPF, IASM, WTP, BTMR, POC (Departed 9PM)
5/13 - AK (Arrival 8:30AM) ILL: FOP, LL: NAVI, KS, EE (Departed 1PM)
5/13 - (Hop to Epcot - 5:30PM) Planned to do Remy, but family said :-1: not worth the $,
Just toured World Showcase. (Storms canceled Harmonious :frowning_face:)
5/14 - MK (Arrival 3:30PM) LL: JC, POC, BTMR, IASM, SM (Stayed for Enchantment and departed right after.)
5/15 - Epcot (Arrival 11AM) LL: Soarin’, SE, TT, FEA (Departed 8:30PM again with the storms. :frowning_face:)

Please keep in mind that we could have booked a lot more LL’s, but family did not want marathon days and nights at the parks. They also did not want to RD. They begged for a more relaxing vacation this time. :laughing:

ETA: Oh, I forgot the all-important JC on 5/14. I added it!

9 Likes

Omg, it’s like Disney wants me to hate them. Every time I think I have this trip figured out they start messing with me. This is a complete gamble. Either I add Genie+ to all of our tickets now (which will mean paying the price difference in the tickets + the cost of Genie+) and who knows how they’ll change it by July, OR I take the wait and see approach and potentially pay a lot lot more or possibly get locked out of having Genie+ at all? Both options sound less fun than going to the dentist.

10 Likes

Did you buy discounted tickets from an outside vendor or did you purchase through WDW? If you bought discounted, you will still have the benefit of the original discount, but will only pay the increase in the WDW price from your original date to the date you add Genie+.

4 Likes

What I learned today that I did not know…

I bought Genie+, then booked Kilimanjaro for 8:15 am. We scanned in at 8:17, so I booked SDD at DHS, as we had already done FOP and Everest twice as walk on, and AK was not yet busy…I was then subject to 2 hours…from DHS park opening. I could not book another until 10:30 am instead of 120 min rule.

Beyond KS we did not use in AK. We are just stacking for DHS tonight. With ETPE, not needed at AK. We rode Dinosaur twice as walk on, then Everest a third time in single rider.

4 Likes

Your experience confirms what we have learned from the experience of others in the last few months. That scenario doesn’t come up often, but it’s good to know when it does. Here it is in the Rules in the lead post (see especially italicized portion):

5 Likes

Had an interesting conversation w/ a CM this afternoon (I have been calling daily to book a fireworks cruise that hasn’t opened for booking yet).

We got to talking about being a planning geek and I mentioned that we have worked collectively to gather all the Genie+ information we know and put it into one place…so he started asking questions about Genie+. :sunglasses:

I brought up the concern that I (and many here) have that with this new change with everyone purchasing each day, that Disney would cap the amount of people allowed to purchase. The CM was quick to share with me that in the information they received about this recent change, specifically included that they would not be limiting Genie+ at this time.

Of course, that could theoretically change tomorrow, …but I would hope that it may stay status quo at least through the end of July so I don’t have to worry about my friend traveling with me having Genie+ (purchased w/ tickets) and me not being able to (have AP)!

6 Likes

I have decided my favourite thing to do with Genie+ is stack for DHS between 5-8 pm. We did not go on Rise, but hit every other ride (except ToT as it was down, so did TSMM twice)

…then made it back to the hotel right before downpour.

7 Likes

I bought 3 park tickets in 2019 and 1 in 2021 through ParkSavers. I think I saved about $210 compared to current prices. Is adding Genie+ to 5 days of tickets for 4 people now worth a $200+$320 upcharge?

Whoops, meant to reply to @poohfanclub.

3 Likes

I’m planning to the same! In which order did you book rides when you were stacking?

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand your question? What I was trying to explain in my post was that you would only pay the price difference between the WDW price on the date of your purchase to the WDW price today. You would not pay the difference between your ParkSavers price then and the WDW price today. Am I making any sense? :laughing:

3 Likes

I think that might be true if you use the first day of the tickets. I know there have been reports of Disney trying to charge the price difference in ticket costs if you are adding genie+ now?

5 Likes

I think I must be confused here. My frame of reference is that for our March trip, we used PH tickets that we purchased at a discount through Tripster and added them to MDE. (They did not have Genie+ attached.) I later decided to add Genie+ for the length of my stay. WDW valued my original park tickets at the WDW price on the date of my purchase, (not the price I paid Tripster). Then they charged me the difference between what they valued my original tickets at (as if I had purchased them directly through WDW) and the current price for PH tickets with Genie+. Am I misunderstanding the process, or have things changed since then?

3 Likes

The way you described is typical. But there have been reports over the years of people only being credited for what they paid. I don’t know that we’ve ever definitively determined why that happens sometimes.

One guess is that Disney has more visibility into what some third parties charge guests than others, so it’s based on which third party you bought from. Or it could depend on the way the CM was trained (luck of the draw). Or people could be mistaken and they were credited with the full value, but they just failed to consider taxes when doing their math that they reported back here. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes