Reassure me I don't need a car

Trust me, I am petrified!

3 Likes

For DS-almost-19 I was encouraged to turn him around at 12 mos by ped. Times change!

2 Likes

Oh definitely. My DDs who are 20 turned forward at 15 months. We know better now.

2 Likes

So I am feeling pretty great about not renting car thanks to all of you fabulous people. Oddly enough when I mentioned to my friends that this is my first ever trip without a car (I really thought they knew already), they started to panic and wondered if we should go ahead and rent one. I’m determined not to though because I may decide I love not having a car.

5 Likes

I have never been without a car either, but am seriously considering it for our late December trip. I have given up a car in DL and gotten used to Lyft, so may just do that. I cannot imagine not having a car…but I am sick of paying the car rental fee plus all the extra charges at Disney resorts now to park in their large parking lots that are not full. :grimacing:

4 Likes

We are so alike. I thought about forgoing a car last December when we stayed at BC, but I chickened out. I didn’t like the idea of giving up the freedom and flexibility of a car. But you are so right about rental costs and parking costs–that could pay for some more DAH, dessert parties and EMM events.

2 Likes

Yep. We will see if I really stick to not having one.

1 Like

@Dreamer good point. We aren’t getting a car for the first time this year too. I think you just talked me into using that money for the Star Wars dessert party. Thanks.

4 Likes

Same for those next-door neighbors I referred to earlier.
My kids were in a school of our denomination, but our first son was bored silly, unhappy, etc. so there were questions about ADHD etc. etc. etc. The teachers were kind but were limited in what they could do. I took a course on gifted kids from our local college and that is what convinced me it was the right thing to do, basically it’s the ideal arrangement for kids like that.

We signed him up for online courses from Stanford’s EPGY and that made all the difference. Because of our next door neighbors, he had a whole social network of homeschool kids to tap into. It didn’t save us any money over private school tuition but I think it saved our (and his) sanity.

I have interacted with one homeschooled young adult who wasn’t educated well, but most of them turn out to be more successful than average and I’m sure yours will, too. I think parental interest and support is the most important thing, no matter where the kids are educated.

2 Likes

I really am going to stick with it for this trip (I’m going to keep saying that to myself over and over).

2 Likes

You’re welcome!:joy:
I really love the SW dessert party–good choice.

1 Like

Amen!

1 Like

We had a car for our first trip (2014), and did not have one for our last trip (2017). We did do a one-day outing to Universal, and rented a car for 2 nights for that. Other than that we used the busses, which weren’t too bad. Sometimes there is a few minutes wait for one, but I figure we probably make up most of that by not having to park a car and get from the parking lot to the park entrance. :slight_smile:

In Jan 2020, we are not going to rent at all. We have never experienced Uber/Lyft but are going to try it out for our Universal day this time, and possibly use it to get to the parks a couple of times, on the very early days.

1 Like

So true!

There have been studies that show parental involvement is the number one predictor of a child’s long-term academic success. So, even if you have to send your child to a school that is barely pumping out kids who can read, the child who has involved parents will excel.

4 Likes

Dreamer, does the dessert party take care of all or most of the Star Wars meet and greets?

I think long waits and really crowded buses are one of my big concerns. I think I can handle not too bad.

No, it really doesn’t. You can go and meet the characters during the event which is pretty easy to do since it’s in the Launch Bay. The lines are usually not really long because many people who aren’t at the dessert party are lining up for Fantasmic or the SW fireworks. But the Launch Bay is open to all guests at that time so the lines can vary.

1 Like

@Dreamer Here is a post with lots of info about using Uber/Lyft/MinnieVans you may find useful:

1 Like

Fabulous. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

All depends on what’s important to you. I always rent a car because I like to have the flexibility to come and go as I please without having to wait in line (you’re doing enough of that at Disney anyway). If you like to get to the parks early for rope drop, it’s also much easier to have a car.

2 Likes