Reassure me I don't need a car

My WDW countdown is at 24 days!! It’s a girls trip and we are staying at BWV! In all my past 50+ trips, I have always had a car (I know I’m weird). In an attempt to keep down costs, we are forgoing a rental car. I’m starting to worry. I don’t want to waste lots of time waiting on Disney transportation. And I really want groceries for the villa (and I’ve never ordered groceries to be delivered at Disney). Am I worrying for nothing?

1 Like

I’ve never had a car on property. I like not having to fight traffic or drive. That’s part of the vacation. I can have a drink and not worry about how to get back to my resort. I’ve ordered from Prime Now each time with no problem.

6 Likes

You can use ride share much cheaper than renting a car, if you need to get somewhere. But I think you might actually enjoy not driving.

7 Likes

If you order from Prime Now do you have to be at your hotel when it’s delivered or will bell services store it for you?

1 Like

This is what I am counting on. I really don’t like driving, but I also really hate waiting.

1 Like

I don’t even have a car in real life. No way am I going to mess up vacation with one!

2 Likes

Good point!

We just stayed at BWI and found we definitely did not need a car. And we are car people, we almost never vacation without one unless we’re in a major city. Have your groceries delivered and plan to take Lyft some of the time. A busy times the busses were quick, and of course you can walk to two of the parks.

But off-peak times it seemed like we shared- we even stopped at Swan AND Dolphin, and there was no one at either stop. What a waste of time. So if the bus times don’t look good to you, don’t hesitate to call Lyft. We took a Minnie Van to MK once, for RD.

1 Like

This I think is what may save my sanity. The few times I have used Disney buses it wasn’t fabulous, but at least we can walk to HS and Epcot.

1 Like

You don’t need a car.

If you don’t want to use transportation 100% of the time you can Uber/Lyft for a fraction of the cost of a rental.

4 Likes

How many of you are there?

Fabulous. This is why I love the forum–I was finding it hard not to look up rental car prices. Although I’m also thinking that I have been stupid for renting cars in the past.

It’s just 3 adults so Lyft/Uber would be easy.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. There were 5 of us so we had to get the XL, and the prices ranged from $13.76 plus tip to $21.63 (that was surge pricing at 9 pm). I think the non-XL prices were mostly around $10.

It was $40.63 for the Minnie Van which I think is the same no matter how many people you have, up to 6. But it was super cute and a great photo op for our first day!

2 Likes

I would be totally tempted to get a Minnie Van just for the photo ops!!

4 Likes

Not stupid.

You know better now.

You know better, you do better.

You’re super wise

3 Likes

Have done

1 Like

Thanks to everyone here!

1 Like

My countdown is 84 days. I have been debating about a rental car too. Originally, I was just going to use Disney transportation but Mickey decided to open up SWGE. All plans had to be adjusted. The unknown is killing me. Crowds, SWGE, Epcot’s Food & Wine, so much to adjust!! With the EEMH at Hollywood Studio and the park opening at 6AM. I’m not sure if Lyfts and/or buses will be running at 5AM. So for now I reserved a car through Costco, it was extra 300.00 and a course the Resort fee of 120.00 to park the car I can cancel the car if I do not see the need but my kids are saying just keep it and stop stressing. I think they’re tired of me talking about it hahaha Do you all have any thoughts…rent or not rent.

We’re renting. I have 3 kids in car seats and that makes Uber/Lyft/Minnie Vans impractical for us. Technically I can put my 7 year old in a booster, but I feel more comfortable having him in a 5 point harness. I also like the control of knowing I can hop in the car and go where I want when I want. No need to stand around trying to figure out what route to take when I have an ADR at another resort or I want to go to the water park.

If it weren’t for the car seats I would probably be fine relying on Uber/Lyft/Minnie Vans.

4 Likes