Raining Day good or bad?

I think by 48 hours you’ll have a better idea of what the weather is cooking up.

2 Likes

1 Like

Jajajajajaja
Ok, backstory: @Nikkipoooo wanted to remove Aragog from Hagrid’s Magical creature ride. Something about spiderwebs blocking the sensors or something. Bla bla bla she doesn’t like spiders on rides! Can you believe that?

1 Like

But, as you learn in the book, without the spiders, we end up overwhelmed by flies, like one of the plagues of Egypt!

1 Like

I am buying that thing and handing out free copies!!

1 Like

It’s not so much that the small and medium coasters in general are rough, it’s that those at Canada’s Wonderland are particularly awful. Flight Deck, The Bat, Dragon Fyre, and the two adult wooden coasters all are really bad examples of small/medium coasters and Time Warp is atrocious. Literally one of the worst of the 400+ coasters I’ve ridden. Leviathan, Behemoth, and Yukon Striker are nice and smooth, not because they’re large, but because they’re well designed (by B&M).

I think you’ll find that just about every coaster at WDW, regardless of size, is as smooth as the B&M’s. Some people find Space Mountain to be rough, but I didn’t have any trouble with it at all, especially having ridden torture devices like Time Warp.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply ApolloAndy, the first rollercoasters we really tried were last Christmas at Disney World, and after that trip, we started to see how enjoyable they were, we paid for annual pass on our local park, by October we were fully enjoying the 3 big ones and ignoring everything else. So maybe as you said is just Canada’s Wonderland quality of medium and small coasters.

In August we are going to visit Carowinds, Kings Island and Ceder Point, so far the reviews are align with the thesis that those older small to medium coasters are rough or boring, We don’t personally care about coaster’s credits, so why do I want to waste time riding nothing but the top rides at any park?

Btw I just read your post again, did you say you have ridden over 400 coasters? That is impressive.

Enjoy the OH parks. Cedar Point is the one I worked at! I’m guessing you went for the Platinum pass, then? :laughing:

Thanks Nikkipoooo, Platinum pass and dining plan, we are staying 2 days per park :slight_smile:

So you used to work at Cedar Point? I read somewhere that is better to park at the back, in the water park parking lot, what do you think?

We are going to Cedar Point on weekdays, during the last week of August, the local kids should be back to school that week.

Yes. I think I’m around 410, though it depends on how you count relocations, multi-tracked rides, and modified or retracked rides.

All three parks (Carowinds, King’s Island, and Cedar Point) are excellent and all have unique and amazing rides. All of them also have some pretty bland smaller rides, but Carowind’s boomerang (Flying Cobras) has newer trains than a typical boomerang and King’s Island’s Adventure Express is decent. Even Blue Streak at Cedar Point has some redemptive value. I would definitely skip kiddie coasters but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by some of the less impressive coasters that give rides that are just fun and would suggest that if you have the time, you give them a shot. (Six Flags Great Adventure’s Skull Mountain and Six Flags Over Texas’ Mine Train are both way better than they ought to be).

Also, it seems like you’re driving close to or past King’s Dominion which is also on the platinum pass and has the fantastic Twisted Timbers. Any reason that park didn’t make the cut?

1 Like

Absolutely park in the back. Not only is the parking better, but starting in the middle (the “back” entrance is actually the middle of the park, kinda like international gateway at epcot) is a good strategy. If you’re a Starbucks person you can hit the one at Hotel Breakers instead of the one in the park that’s way up at the front.

1 Like

Thanks for that info ApolloAndy, your knowledge of coasters is very impressive.

We already have others coaster’s road trips planned :wink:

We got two kids, so we are taking it easy in all of our upcoming coaster trips, always spending two days at each park with skipping the lines unlimited pass for one of those days. Trying to find decent hotels in the area, checking in those hotels the day before visiting the parks, and checking out the day after we are done with the parks. So we always wakeup fresh to hit the parks or fresh to hit the road :slight_smile:

For our Cedar Point road trip, we feel that targeting those 3 parks should be sufficient, we are going to drive all the way south to Carowinds, that will be the longest we have ever driven before, then drive up to Kings Island, followed by Cedar Point before heading back home to Toronto.

Upcoming road trips:
Washington DC: We are driving down to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, then Kings Dominion, after that a few days at Washington DC and then Hershey Park before driving home again.

Boston: Few days at Boston and then SixFlag New England.

Chicago: Six Flags Great America, then a few days at Chicago before driving back home.

New York City: Drive down to Dorney Park, then Six Flag New England followed by a few days at New York City.

Do you think Dorney Park is worth going? We don’t want to go to every park out there, we just want to experience the best parks.

The only coasters park that we are going to visit for one day is SeaWorld Orlando in Dec 22, there is only 3 coasters and we are not going there for the shows or the animals, but for Busch Gardens Tampa we are going for two days on Dec 23.

The other parks at California and Texas have to wait until we plan vacation in those areas, but we wont be driving for sure.

Thanks Nikkipoooo for the insider tips :slight_smile:

It is just a load of fun in that out of control kind of way! It is a must-do every time we go. But the absolute must-dos at Cedar Point are Millennium Force and Steel Vengeance. Two greatest roller coasters I’ve ever been on, each for completely different reasons. Pure adrenaline. There are plenty of other great rides there, but don’t miss those two!

King’s Island finally tore down Viper. Wow…was that coaster horrible. And next year, Orion opens, which I’m excited to ride. Their first Giga. And while the Beast is classic and way fun, it will require several chiropractor visits afterwards. :wink: Mystic Timbers is a great recent addition, although I wish it were a bit longer than it is. Still, a lot of fun. As is Banshee and Diamondback. And Flight of Fear is almost a clone of Rockin’ Roller Coaster if you like that.

1 Like

ryan1, I forgot you are a big rollercoaster enthusiast to.

We’ll try all of those in August for sure. Any parks worth visiting we are missing?

I really wanted to include Kings Dominion on this trip, but I feel that we can’t visit that park without going to Washington D.C, the kids have never been there, or Busch Gardens Williamsburg, that to me feels like a trip on its own.

We did a family trip a few years back, 5 parks in 6 days. Of course, Cedar Point and King’s Island. But also Six Flags Great America (Chicago), Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey), and Hersheypark. We enjoyed all of them for different reasons.

1 Like

Wow 5 parks in 6 days, that sounds like fun, I can do that if I have buddy that is into rollercoaster, but if I do that type of trip with my family, it will be hard to get them on the road for one of those again lol

Oh, my family is used to it. :slight_smile:

BTW, here are my trip reports from CP and KI this year:

And, if you’ve never been, Silver Dollar City (and Branson in general) is a great family vacation destination.

Wow Ryan, you got step by step report, that is so cool, I’ll check it out when I get to the office.

I looked at Dollar city before, but is in the middle with nothing around it, so it has to be a trip just for that park. That is a lot of driving for a single activity, it has to be good for us to do that. I’ll look into it.

No…there is a lot to do around Branson itself, not just SDC. You could spend a few days there, easily. Many shows, the Titanic Museum, etc. But since you are coming from Toronto, you could do some stops “along the way”…Six Flags Chicago, for example.

Alternatively, there is Dollywood down near Gatlinburg. It is owned/operated by the same family as SDC…but we’ve never been to Dollywood outselves, so I can’t speak to the details.

1 Like