May the Force Be With Us: A Family Trip Report Summer 2021

I think we were all spared by your lapse in imagination on that one. :joy:

7 Likes

This is our attempt to keep the cool air upstairs and avoid overworking the working upstairs unit.

9 Likes

I am so sorry, that is THE WORST! As a fellow Desert Rat, I commiserate fully. Especially as you’re entering the portion of the trip I like to call “I spent HOW MUCH at Disney?!?!?!”

7 Likes

Thank you @Jeff_AZ for throwing @feep for a loop with the leg photo!!! He was literally in panic mode like “How am I supposed to work with this picture?!”. I remember thinking “Snort… Good luck with that one! The gig is up!”

And just so we’re clear, this was all @feep’s doing. I was only aiding and abetting. I mean encouraging and supporting.

9 Likes

What’s funny is I was spending the afternoon upstairs in the AC portion of the house and got cold, so I went downstairs to the non-AC portion where it is 83 and actually felt quite comfortable. I think living in cold places traumatized me permanently. :joy:

6 Likes

TRIP RETROSPECTIVE

PART 1

Table Service Restaurants

We loved almost all the restaurants we ate at, so I am going to rate them two ways: 1) each will get a “best of” award; 2) I will grant the rewards in order from least favorite to favorite overall experience. I have linked each restaurant to the corresponding post above where I begin describing our experience in more detail.

Best No-Reservation Meal: The Kitchen
Comments: Everything was good - calamari, Caesar salad, pasta, burnt ends mac & cheese, and desserts. But not exceptional. But it was so nice to be able to eat without waiting or having to get a reservation, and all downstairs from our room at HRH! This meal would have been a poor value under most circumstances, but given we were tired and hungry, it was a godsend.

Best Place to Lose a Tooth: Toothsome Chocolate Emporium
Comments: The food was good, but forgettable. I didn’t like the shakes - too rich! But it was such a relief to have a quiet lunch reservation away from the parks instead of waiting in huge lines for quick service, or alternatively struggling to get a coveted dinner reservation. My advice when at UOR: flip it! Table service lunch; quick service dinner. Overall, it was a good experience though. The theming was fun and everyone left satisfied with their meal. (P.S. In case you didn’t follow along, DD7 lost a tooth here. :wink:)

Best Ambiance: San Angel Inn
Comments: The food was good, but I’ve had much better Mexican cuisine. I ate a ton of chips and salsa - they were the best item served, IMO, but they were not of the (more authentic?) type I usually get in Phoenix area restaurants. The ribeye tacos were good but the cheese-to-ribeye ratio was too high - I couldn’t eat more than 2 little corn tortillas full before getting full. Our server was fantastic and sent for chocolate milk for our kiddos even though they don’t carry it. The setting of a Mexican fiesta at night is the best of any Disney restaurant (nay, any restaurant period), except Blue Bayou at Disneyland.

Best Burger: Sci Fi Dine-In
Comments: If you want a good burger, fries, and a shake, look no further. I think this was my favorite chocolate shake of the trip (and I had more than a few lol). The ambiance and theming is unique and fun. It wasn’t too dark, cold, noisy, quiet … not too much of anything. But really, that burger was much more delicious than it had any right to be.

Best Breakfast: Ale & Compass
Comments: The Mickey waffles were better than I expected and everyone loved them. The caramel apple French toast was also a hit. Table service breakfast is a great idea for an Epcot day or otherwise when you have a late start. I’m sure the Mickey waffles are the same you get anywhere (though I thought the mini size was better than the big ones at Contempo Cafe) but they are reasonably priced, and the other entrees are really good. If you’re staying in the area, it’s a superb option.

Best Experience: Teppan Edo
Comments: The soup, salad, entrees, and sides were all good, the best being the lobster tail. But it was the least flavorful filet of the trip. I actually (shudder) dipped it in sauce. I was disappointed that there was no fried rice - only steamed rice and udon noodles. However, I was completely satisfied in my meal, and whatever was lacking food-wise was completely made up for by the atmosphere, the entertainment of the food preparation, and the welcoming nature of Japanese culture and cuisine. Overall I prefer my local teppan restaurant, but I will probably find myself back here again.

Best Fried Chicken: Olivia’s
Comments: This award is a little bit cheating because I loved the fried chicken from Homecomin’ and Chicken Guy about as much, but I think Olivia’s, as served, was just a hair better than the other two. However, it was best served with the gravy, which I didn’t expect since I usually don’t like gravy. I was not in the best condition for this meal, having gotten nauseated from the bus ride over. But I was completely satisfied by the meal regardless. Biscuits, milk shake, beans, mashed potatoes, and rolls were all great. It’s out of the way, but it was a fun little excursion.

Best Dessert: Rainforest Cafe
Comments: This was one of our favorite overall meals of the trip. Other than dessert, no one element was best. But the atmosphere, service (our server, Elysse, was a riot!), appetizers, kids’ meals, entrees, and sides were all in the top third of our meals. :man_shrugging: The kids ate more this night than any other. But even if not of that were the case, I would still come back for the Volcano Sundae. I love brownies, I love ice cream, I love chocolate - what can I say? I’m easy to please.

Best Theming: Be Our Guest
Comments: If we hadn’t been sopping wet, we would have enjoyed our experience at Be Our Guest much more. The french bread (DD4’s favorite!) was fantastic, as was the lobster bisque. The filet mignon was better than any I’ve ever had at a Disney restaurant (though not as good as the third party restaurants). The desserts were fun, if not particularly satisfying. But the kids were completely smitten by Beast, his castle, and the experience of painting their dessert. It will be a long time before we forget that meal. However, I think it was a “one and done” until quick service lunch is back - the food for QS used to be great and much cheaper.

Best Appetizer: Sanaa
Comments: The bread service is simply to die for. I can’t give any higher praise for the five naan varieties and nine dipping sauces (ok, I didn’t try the yogurt one, but the rest were fantastic). I could eat it for every meal. The butter chicken was also delicious. We shouldn’t have bothered with any other entrees because it was that good. And of course, seeing animals out the window (albeit not at a window table) and later walking out on the savanna is a unique experience.

Best Sides: Homecomin’
Comments: Everything about this meal was good. The fried chicken was probably the best recipe of the trip - so hard to compare to others. Certainly of the chicken that was served without sauce or gravy, this was the best one. But the real star of the show was the sides - starting with the absolutely unbeatable mac and cheese. I love mac and cheese with baked cheese on the top, and that was only one reason this one was so good. I wish I was eating it right now. :drooling_face: The hush puppies were also good, though my kids were disappointed - too complicated. The donuts and cheese biscuits were also good though unexpectedly dry. This restaurant is a must do if you like southern food.

Best Meal: The Boathouse
Comments: Overall, this meal was the best. The filet and lobster tail was the very best of the whole trip - every bite was delectable. The rolls were served with a delectable honey butter. The sweet potato and mac and cheese sides were very good. The macadamia turtle pie dessert was one of my favorites this trip. DW’s coconut shrimp was outstanding. The service was good and we were served quickly, which was welcome. The ambiance was nice, though my only complaint was that we weren’t more secluded from families and children for our date, but we don’t really care about that kind of stuff.

23 Likes

I was going to demand a recount when you said Rainforest got best dessert…your pie from date night should’ve won on looks alone. …but, since it won Best Meal I guess I’ll keep quiet. :wink: Thanks for summarizing all the major meals!!

4 Likes

I almost never go to DS, but I think I’m going to have to go to Boathouse based on your recommendation and that pie. Sounds amazingly delicious!

3 Likes

I forgot Ale & Compass so I slipped that one in there.

11 Likes

Some PhotoPass photos that came through since last time I posted them:

23 Likes

I live how in every pic DS is holding on for dear life! The little one in the front of FEA :fearful: so precious!

4 Likes

I like the first Splash pic where you’re playing it so cool. And all the men folk on HM … what are looking at? DAunt always with the girls. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I think that picture is taken with the hitchhiking ghosts - our first one was on the roof of our doombuggy. So we’re probably looking at that.

2 Likes

If you right click an image and choose open in new window, it makes it full screen and you can zoom if you want.

4 Likes

I hope you saved money for therapy after Disney for this one…

:laughing:

13 Likes

…are you taking adoption requests before your next trip? I have my own income and generally can resolve my in park meltdowns with a drink or Casey’s. Look at how much fun everyone is having!

7 Likes

Don’t worry @Jeff_AZ, I have a nearly identical picture of my now DD6 from when she was about the same age. Let me see if I can find it!

2 Likes

I found it! :joy:image

16 Likes

Who knew FEA could be so traumatic! :smiley:

5 Likes

Ha ha. I took DS on a water tube chute at Schlitterbahn when he was almost 2. They had those inner tubes with the bottoms for littles as they wouldn’t let them sit in your lap. So I would just hold on to the handle of his. But theres this one part where there is a huge slide in the chute. And I’m of course holding onto his tube and looking back at him…the look on his face was just like that. No tears or screams. Just shock. Poor kid. I created his anxiety disorder that day maybe.

This was the part:

(Darn it didn’t save the time stamp let me try again). Okay fixed.

5 Likes