I’m giving up sugar

Pennyslvanian checking in, and yeah, Hershey’s is not great.

3 Likes

Regular Hershey’s isn’t great but their symphony bars are fantastic.

3 Likes

I would say for just eating, yeah, there are alot better options out there, but in smores, they aren’t so bad :relieved:

2 Likes

Fellow WCM addict here. Here’s what I did at the recommendation of my barista…
I stopped getting the White Chocolate Mocha beverage because the dairy is just as bad for me as anything (and the $$). Instead I started getting regular coffee (I do iced) and adding pumps of WCM sauce to it. A venti comes standard with 6 pumps, but slowly over time you ask for 5, then 4, then 3…
You still get the flavor but you’re cutting back the sugar considerably!

3 Likes

Great idea! Thank you

Smores should always be made w/ Ghirardelli chocolate squares. My favorite are the Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel ones. :sunglasses:

Sorry, I know it is a conversation about giving up sugar …but these squares are worth a splurge.

4 Likes

I want a coke soda soooooo baaaaadddd!!!

ok thanks. I feel a little better now.

6 Likes

I feel so seen! :laughing:

3 Likes

Or Reese’s cups!

2 Likes

When one is trying to give up sugar, the best way to be supportive is not to even bring up or mention sugar-laden foods.

For example, I wouldn’t talk about:

1. Ice Cream
  2. Candy
  3. Chocolate, including Dark, Semi-Sweet, Milk in any form, including, but not limited to Ghirardelli, Hershey, Nestle, Lindt, Cadbury, etc.
  4. Soda (unless it is diet, of course)
  5. Cakes
  6. Brownies
  7. Tarts
  8. Pies
  9. Puddings (for those of us who have no idea what that actually means to those in the UK, other than it refers to some form of dessertiness)
  10. Pudding (for those of us NO in the UK who associate this word with, most famously, Jello brand)
  11. Doughnuts (or, for the more lazy-natured, donuts)
  12. Anything by Hostess, Little Debbie, or similar such product
  13. Pop-tarts (which are altogether different from number 7)
  14. Shakes
  15. Sweetened beverages, such as mochas.

This list is, of course, not complete. But everyone should avoid even mentioning those items.

8 Likes

Oh. And cookies/biscuits. Don’t mention those either. In case I didn’t mention it.

5 Likes

For our Canadian firends we should add squares to that list.
I’m still not sure what that means (as I was told many times by Canadians that they are different from brownies - but they looked the same :confused: ) but anyway they are sugar-laden desserts none the less and should not be mentioned when someone is giving up sugar.

3 Likes

I think you’re right @ryan1 :+1:t2:
I shouldn’t have mentioned chocolate.
I’m glad I didn’t mention ice cream, candy, soda, cakes, brownies, tarts, pies, puddings, pudding, doughnuts, twinkies, pop-tarts, shakes or mocha.
I’ll make sure not to mention them at all :innocent:

7 Likes

Couldn’t you just say pudding and it would include all of those? :wink:

6 Likes

I am intrigued. Where are our Canadians? I need more info on the proper usage? Is “squares” actually used as a stand-alone term? Maybe it’s regional in parts of Canada? Is it interchangeable with “bars” (just the cut being more precise squares maybe?) or is there more nuance there somewhere?

Our family owns a little rustic cabin in Canada so DM typically(!) spends probably 25% of the year on that side of the border. I just grilled her on the topic.

We’ve both definitely seen recipes that include “squares” in the title (ex. lemon squares), which seems to be interchangeable with “bars”. But we don’t recall ever seeing it as a stand-alone term. Like, we’ve never heard someone say “I’ll bring some squares if you bring some cookies”. And “cookies” and “bars” may appear on a potluck signup, but we’ve never seen just “squares”.

FWIW, “brownies” are a subcategory of “bars” that involves chocolate and may be gooey (yea!) or cakelike (boo!). There are also “blondies” that use brown sugar instead of chocolate.

4 Likes

But couldn’t they also be snacks?!?

Well, except the ones that are clearly beverages.

3 Likes

You need to talk with my husband. He has a way of always leaving the most tempting food out when I am on a diet.

1 Like

Husbands can be the WORST for that. Mine is always in great shape and can eat anything with his fabulous metabolism, and boy does he.

1 Like

Well wouldn’t your use of pudding imply dessert? I have been known to make multi-course meals out of items from that list.

2 Likes

Well now I want a brownie. Corner piece please.

3 Likes