Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

Pretty solid article there.
Although I think “beauty”, “true” “that’s jokes” and “what you sayin’” are a little dated eh.

1 Like

My favorite is Blink, but the Van Gogh episode is a close second!

Safe travels!!!

When do we all start talking Canadian? Shouldn’t every question end with “eh?” :laughing:
[/quote]

Did you make the squares yet? (Did we even figure out what squares are?)

2 Likes

None of our Canadians enlightened me so I’m still at a loss!

I mean, I know they’re some variation of “bars” and I’m assuming they need to be cut into actual squares (maybe?), but any subtleties of the term beyond that are escaping me. I may need to start contacting non-Liner Canadians for clarification…

3 Likes

Squares.
You mean like baked goods cut into squares?

1 Like

Backstory:

3 Likes

@sanstitre_has_left_the_building I’m amused that you and I are both hurtling towards each other at 30,000 feet from opposite sides of the globe (well, shortly - I’m about to take off for my flight from Denver to Orlando). I’m waving at you from across the friendly skies. :wave:

23 Likes

As a Canadian, I have never heard this. Not on it’s own, anyway. If somebody asked me to bring squares to a party I would have no idea what they wanted. The only thing I could think of is if you had, like, a mixed plate - lemon bars, Nanaimo bars, etc - you might say squares then?

5 Likes

That’s everyone’s favourite.

Other than every Dalek episode.

8 Likes

OK yeah squares is a generic term for any baked good that you cut into square-shaped individual portions. So it could be lemon squares, date squares, Nanaimo squares etc.

Aside from drinking establishments, I think “I’ll bring some bars” would raise expectations you’re just grabbing a bunch of chocolate bars from Costco. I think most Canadian recipes traditionally don’t use that term.

Nanaimo bars might be the exception but I think that’s an example of American influence impacting a Canadian staple that’s achieved enough commercial success and notice to get an American label attached.

Of course, brownies are brownies, and blondies are blondies and they don’t get any additional term lie square or bar attached.

8 Likes

Ok, good, thanks. So it’s more an attached descriptive like “lemon squares” as opposed to a stand-alone term. I was so wondering about usage context! Ty!

2 Likes

Not sure when you land exactly, but your plan is to take the UP train (Union - Pearson express) when you land, correct? It’s very wet today, so you’ll probably want to pick up some raingear if you don’t have any with you at the moment.

You will want to get a Presto card at the airport kiosk. It will pay for itself just with the saving on your UP trip, not to mention the subway and GO trains throughout the two weeks.

5 Likes

Are you going to be this difficult in Orlando?

Do you like the little door? With my super-awesome AirPod Maxes, I’m in my own little bubble here. It’s nice.

This was lunch. It was fine. I mean it was better than that monstrous festival of crap I had last night. And it’s presumably better than the slop they’re getting in Economy.

21 Likes

Yep, true. But I still think they’re a subset of “bars”.

Like, if there’s a potluck sign up, under desserts there could be a “cookies” section and a “bars” section which everyone would correctly interpret, and people could bring brownies/blondes as “bars”. Or various “squares” as bars. :thinking:

2 Likes

Don’t they get your leftovers??

5 Likes

they annoy me. I can’t understand what they are saying. And the voice is so grating.

Don’t they just say ‘Exterminate!’??

That might be dalekist :flushed:

3 Likes

Yes. It might be listed in a potluck as just squares to promote people to bring whatever baked good they like/feel confident with.

But nobody would know what you’re talking about if you asked them to bring squares… unless they’re family/close friend with a stellar recipe and you’re asking them to bring The Squares.

2 Likes

As a whole, the masses mostly just say exterminate. But there are quite a few episodes where there is dialogue with one or two speaking with the Dr or companions.

3 Likes

I’m more inclined to take an Uber, I think. Especially if it’s wet. I don’t know how fun dragging a heavy suitcase around will be.

1 Like