Aulani bound... anyone else going soon or been? Tips and important details due to, you know, covid ;)

We will be dining at Cafe Orleans and Wine Country Trattoria, as well as a bunch of quick service.

Special experience = John Williams live at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night! I’m super excited for this - I went once before in 2010 just before my wife and I started dating.

2 Likes

OMG I am super jealous!

1 Like

OK people, keep checking and updating car rental. I started out at $1300+ for a small car and now have an SUV for $506 through Costco; major upgrade. My last updated reservation was a full size at $675 w/ enterprise. I think w/ the recent warnings about traveling to Hawaii there is a lot more inventory to go around.

2 Likes

That is awesome. Well done.

1 Like

Y’all get the credit for your tips and guidance. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1433978897398484992?s=21

OK… I know there are other worry warts out there like me that want to know everything before hand. I was really freaking out about the Safe Hawaii Travels program questionaire that you have fill out no earlier than 24 hours before your trip. I couldn’t find the 5 questions anywhere online so I could study for the test :laughing::nerd_face: Yep, that’s me :laughing: Here’s the questions: 1. Do you feel ill now? 2. Have you had a flu vaccine? 3. Have you taken a medicine (e.g., Tylenol… ) in the last 24 hours to keep a fever down? 5. Have you signed a 10-day quarantine order that is currently in effect? Then you have to sign electronically. The QR was sent to my email instantaneously. That QR code is important, from what others have reported. We will need it while traveling at airports. The code was sent to my email but can also be accesses in your trip link in your Safe Travel account that you have to create. We’ve all taken screen shots of it to have handy for airport screening.

oh… I could access the health screening more than 24 hours ahead. I signed in this morning at 0800, our flight isn’t until 0900 tomorrow. So, I think it’s more the day before and not an exact 24 hours before.

4 Likes

Yay for getting your QR code. Keep it handy–you’ll need it often.

2 Likes

I was thinking I should print it off instead of opening my phone all the time? Your opinion?

1 Like

That’s probably a good idea. I didn’t think of that.

1 Like

I would also take a screenshot of it, just as another backup. I generally do this with my boarding passes for flights.

2 Likes

Relax you are going to Hawaii!:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Tips using Hawaii Safe Travel:
If your airport has a prescreen use it to avoid lines in Hawaii.
I only used QR code once at prescreen
I only needed CDC cards once at prescreen
ID used to set up account needs to match at prescreen. My son used his Mil-ID online but at prescreen handed them his DL. As soon as he handed her the correct ID it was all good.

Checking in at Aulani
It’s pointless to check in online. You still have to go through the front desk procedures.
The front desk will ask each person to log into their HI safe travel account in front of them. Open your trips and they will scroll down to see your QR code. You can’t show them anything else.
They “show” you a map but don’t give you one. There isn’t one on their app
The Aulani app seems pretty worthless (1st day, maybe I’ll change my mind)
There are NO printed materials you just have to remember everything they tell you at check in; good luck.

I’ll share more as I learn anything helpful

3 Likes

To save from double notation see my semi-LIVE TR. Aulani Trip Report 9/5/21 (10 days) - #110 by vcka

FYI: I want to tell you about the new tech in rooms at Aulani. TVs are set up through a central server. They are “not compatible “ with Rokus or other devices you might bring. The remote doesn’t actually work the TV but the box that’s hooked up to the TV. Disney tech has blocked guests from watching anything but what they have made available. You can’t even log into your own Disney + account or watch anything on Disney +. But my DH figured out a work around, after calling tech up to the room to confirm. We could hook up our Roku but couldn’t control the volume which was set at 100. Our neighbors would have complained and our ears as well. The solution: We bought a universal remote for the TV brand and disconnected their system. If we left their system connected it kept turning it off. Most ppl won’t do what we did b/c you won’t have a car or teenagers. But we’re staying for 10 days and will have down time in the room.

Edited to add: we are only able to watch movies we have in our vudu acct, which is a lot. Can’t log into Hulu, D+ etc b/c we can’t accept internet agreement.

2 Likes

I wonder why they do that?!

3 Likes

You have just described the reason this website even exists - and why we are all here.

6 Likes

IDK but we had no problems hooking it up at OKW in July. The tech CM said it was new updates. Boo to the Disney knucklehead who thought it up.

@bay_loftis were you asking about surprise costs at Disney? Well, to all using DVC points at Aulani: at check in we were charged $177.xx in state hotel taxes based on our length of stay. Surprise! :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I can’t put a heart on that! Hawaii stinks! (No, it doesn’t. Magical place!!!)

1 Like

Why do I not remember that tax?

1 Like