Yellow Arrows and Kangaroos: a Kennywood Trip Report

I did a search, saw Kennywood Park in West Mifflin, PA mentioned a few times, but didn’t see any reports or photos.

Since I’m a local, with an underutilized season pass, and it’s might be one of the least offensive weather days we’ve had in a bit, I made a game day decision to make a trip.

Pulled into the parking lot a few minutes before 3pm. The park opens at 3pm today since I think local schools are back in session. The lineup waiting to get in the gate is insane, stretching halfway across the parking lot.

So instead of standing in full sun, I sit in my car, AC running, to give a bit of time for the gate to process some of line. And create a start on a trip report.

I don’t think I’ve ever arrived this close to opening. Don’t think I’ll do that again.

15 Likes

For some reason, it is hard to rope drop our local park too. Must be the late open time–ours is later morning, and it’s stupid for an hour or so.

3 Likes

Gave it about 15 minutes after the gates opened. Spent about 10 minutes in line for security. I think it’s the same system they have at WDW.

No wait to scan in

9 Likes

Down the hill and through the tunnel to enter the park proper.

Speedy Pass is available if you want to pay for line skips. Actually discounted decently today compared to the usual, $19.99 (starting, I think there are 4 packages). While I’ll buy Genie+ almost every day in the world, never thought this was worth it.

6 Likes

“Always a good time” :rofl: That might belong in the uncensored thread.

3 Likes

That, and then the phrase “Kennywood’s open” meaning your pant’s zipper is down, is common locally

7 Likes

Didn’t know that one :rofl:

3 Likes

How cute is that!

I looked up the park, had never heard of it. I like the horses in your image above and thought there might be a story behind those.

4 Likes

Best touring advice if anyone wants to come here. Start at the back.

A wild mouse, or perhaps more on theme, wild rat indoor coaster. Ride vehicle starts spinning about 1/2 way through.

Speedy reports 15m, I timed a 12m wait. It’s slow to load, and the line tends to grow as the day progresses.

If there was a passholder season long photo program, I might do it. Since there isn’t, watermark cellphone pic of the screen it is

5 Likes

Pittsburgh Plung - walk on

9 Likes

I’m jealous! I’m stuck in my office buried in work and screaming “Take me to Kennywood!!!” lol :laughing:

Glad you are having a good time!

3 Likes

You have until 10pm… The Potato Patch Frys alone are worth the trip

2 Likes

It’s only worth it when the park is crowded but then it’s too expensive to be worth it. :exploding_head:

Long story short, I don’t buy it either.

That’s the worst ride in the park though, don’t you think?. I waited 1 hr to ride that thing only to leave and go straight to the chiropractor.

It’s like Primaveral Whirl, but in the dark, and therefore worse since you can’t anticipate the turns.

One and done for me.

3 Likes

Tempting. It’s sort of on my way home!!!

2 Likes

I’m going to throw your words back at you

Removing another objection: I can still get a friend in free on my pass. Internet forum friends count.

3 Likes

Ok, now that’s just mean :rofl:.
We should totally plan to go another time though, especially if you don’t mind having a teenager (my DD13) tag along.

3 Likes

Fine by me. I usually roll solo here. A thunderbolt partner would be good

2 Likes

There is more at the back half of the park, but I thought I might hit the other water ride since I’m already soaked from the last one.

Oh, never mind then. Could have sworn I heard Raging Rapids had returned.

Guess that means it’s snack time

Fresh cut in booth just before it’s fried. Best fries in the world

Cheese, brown gravy, and bacon :yum:

8 Likes

Noah’s Ark. Walk through attraction. You need your sea legs for this one to navigate 2 sets of stairs while the ark rocks

6 Likes