Yellow Arrows and Kangaroos: a Kennywood Trip Report

Next up, Phantom’s Revenge

Hands up if you dare as you cross twice through the wooden support structure of the Thunderbolt coaster.

Honestly, I miss the original incarnation as Steel Phantom. Too many complained about it being a head banger with the over the shoulder restraints.

Could have been a walk on if I didn’t decide to wait for the front

6 Likes

You whip me right round baby, right round. The Whip was just fully refurbed this past off season.

More snackage with a Pittsburgh staple Primanti Brothers. Capicola sandwich. And yes, there are fries and coleslaw on the sandwich

6 Likes

Found a t-shirt with it. Sadly not in my size

6 Likes

:flushed:

2 Likes

Dole Whip pineapple/strawberry swirl!

Am I in Disney? No? :pleading_face:

7 Likes

Newest coaster is Steel Curtain. It’s closed for the season. Apparently they’re having some issues with it. Hopefully they can fix it over the winter.

And my phone battery has hit 15%. There is still 2 more hours of park time. I’m going to try just getting photos in airplane mode to hopefully hold on until I get back to the charger in my car. I’ll finish out the report then.

6 Likes

I love Steel Curtain!!

1 Like

Made it back to my car and got my phone plugged in. Airplane mode saved me. 3% remaining.

I don’t think my phone died that quickly back in April when I live reported from WDW. Even with the extra instagram stories, Genie+, BG1, & MDE. Need to sort this before I get back to Florida again :thinking:

I’ll upload the last bunch of photos once I make it back home

3 Likes

Sadly, the restraints aren’t very friendly to anyone fairly large like me. Got to do the walk of shame when it first opened.

Even if I loose wait, I’m still not convinced that would be fully helpful.

Now with whatever issues they’ve been having, I’m wondering if it will be trustworthy overall. I’ll give it a full season of full operation before I take another stab at riding.

3 Likes

The aliens are here and taking over the park.

There is meaning to the 412. It’s the primary telephone area code for Pittsburgh.

Thunderbolt is a wooden coaster elsewhere in the park. That’s Spin-vasion behind, and new for 2023.

5 Likes

Decorations are slowly going up for Phantom Fright Nights Fall Fest. They changed the name a year or 2 ago. Still essentially the same thing. Thought I got more pics of the decor…

Don’t forget to get some mushroom water…

Took a spin on the Old Mill boat ride. Currently a story of a skeleton. Lots of black light. Previous themed as Garfield’s Nightmare (as in the cat that loves lasagne). A different storyline of Old Mill. And Tunnel of Love before that.

6 Likes

Even though I love the Racer, I’ve been skipping it since they added a divider in the seats. It’s way too uncomfortably tight now.

2 coaster trains dispatched at a time to race each other on the track. It’s 1 continuous looping track. You’ll finish on the opposite side of the station from where you start. If you ever make the trip out here, ride it and see if you can find where the crossover is.

I also skipped The Thunderbolt. There’s a sign at the entrance that you must have a partner to ride. Odd numbered groups beware.

While that sign has always been there as far as I know, you used to be OK. Ride operators would pair you will another odd group at the platform. They stopped that when the VID became a thing for obvious reasons.

I haven’t really wanted to stand in the line and risk if they are paring odd groups again or not.

5 Likes

Areo 360 has been closed all season. The arrows rotate spinning you upside-down. A short pause inverted at the top, then spins the opposite direction.

Nearby is the first place I ever encountered the idea of a deep fried oreo. Now they seem to be a staple at every fair, and a good handful of amusement parks.

I circled back around to the back of the park for Black Widow. Nothing loose allowed on the ride. That includes glasses and sunglasses if you don’t have a good strap on them. It was way too bright for me when the sun was up to forgo my sunglasses.

6 Likes

That puts me into the last hour of park time.

Back to the front for Sky Rocket. It’s a magnetic launch coaster and only looping coaster open since Steel Curtain is closed. Couldn’t find a decent location to get an overview picture of the ride.

George Washington was here once upon a time when he was leading troops to Fort Duquesne.

5 Likes

On to the mascot ride. The Kangaroo. Sadly didn’t see Kenny Kangaroo out and about today. Not sure if I just missed him, or if he had the day off. The park did try to get rid of the ride, but after being removed for a season and much backlash, it’s back in it’s place.

Last ride of the night for me was The Jack Rabbit. Double dip wooden coaster. Very few people keep their hands up on the second part of the double dip for fear of flying out. Coaster is celebrating it’s 100th year of operation. Almost as old as the park itself, celebrating 125.

5 Likes

I always end a Kennywood day with a dip cone. It’s a good cherry on top :cherries:

Hanging by the fountain with my ice cream, hoping to let some of the mass exodus pass by.

Found another reference to ones fly being open on a banner.

Also grabbed an iced coffee. Little extra caffeine for the drive, and typing out the remainder of this report.

Told Joe it was a good day. He’s always good for lending an ear when you need it.

And a little bit homemade fudge and some buckeyes to enjoy the next few days at home. (This is the fudge to get. I thought the fudge at Confectionery in MK was disappointing)

And that’s a wrap on my Kennywood day. Now to head back through the tunnel (don’t forget to tap the roof if you can reach) and up the ramp to the exit (why is it all uphill to end the day?)

:heart: Goodnight :heart:

6 Likes

Glad you had a good day.

Why is it called Kennywood??

2 Likes

Did you ride the one showing in the background in this photo? I love that one, but I can’t remember the name.

1 Like

I love the photos! It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been to the park and it’s great to see some of my favorites still standing. And that the Patch is still selling fries. I was mostly of the Laser Loop era, is the Phantom’s Revenge a replacement for the Steel Phantom?

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing! My dad worked the jackrabbit back when it was called the “pippin”? And he was a lifeguard when they had the pool there. Hoping to get there in the fall for those events! (We are very close to dorney park, but Kenny wood has my heart… also first coaster I ever went on was the racers!)

3 Likes