Will you buy a $200 lightsaber at SW:GE?

Me personally, no. However, I usually give my kids spending money and if they wanted to earn some additional money to do this, I would be on board. They are not huge star wars fans (one is a HUGE Marvel fan), so I am think they would pass. I would love to experience it, but not enough to spend $200. I would rather spend that on DAH or EMM or another experience. Now if any of my friends or family decide to do it, I will be there in a heart beat!

Maybe this will make it up to the share holders that the rest of the parks are deserted!

Several headlines have read that SWGE requires a thick wallet for the immersion, that interactions require them taking your money. Did this seems to be the case? (Until ROTR is up…)

2 Likes

Well I didn’t spend much, and still enjoyed it a lot. But it appeared there were many there who just could not live without spending a crap ton of money. Besides riding the ride, taking a ton of pictures (there were photopass photographers everywhere!), and just enjoying the scenery…everything else is going to cost you.

1 Like

I forget about the Play Disney app - that could be a whole other (free) deminsion. Maybe I am less cynical in the morning.

2 Likes

Honestly I’m impressed by this whole concept. In terms of value, I’ve seen a lot of overpriced mediocre flimsy things, this seems substantial and more importantly the process seems cool and not watered down like I expected. Seems like the build takes at least a little thought and effort, you are not just screwing together a couple of pieces of plastic. Since a kid I’ve been obsessed with building things from toys to electronics to cars etc. I’m by no means a SW fan but I would seriously consider doing this just for the experience.

2 Likes

Watching the videos, it almost sounds like the pieces are metal.

Yeah. That you’ve been able to do for ages at the Toy Store at Disney Springs. You can build your own plastic lightsaber there.

I’m guessing this is significantly higher quality.

That’s my guess as well.

i watched a YT video because I was curious, the exterior pieces are metal and the base guts thingie (scientific term) is plastic

2 Likes

The kyber crystal chamber?

1 Like

https://youtu.be/LIr8u0tWPGM?t=637

Here’s the link I watched, fast forwarded it to where he was talking about the components and what they’re made of

Definitely not.

DH and I are a huge HP fans, our daughter is named after a HP character, and we still didn’t get a wand at Ollivanders.

I don’t like souvenirs unless I can wear them.

well after watching this I feel like I have no choice but to get one with my son. We are both total geeks when it comes to constructing things and the tech nut in me is loving this. No my only question are how long will the line be and how much of a beating can the blade take from a 5yo.

1 Like

Oh My! DS14 will NEED one of these. Luckily he has a job so he will pay for it. I won’t understand what makes this so much better than the other 25 light sabers he has, then again there hasn’t been much about his SW obsession, which started when he was 3, I have understood. DH and I just enjoy watching him, enjoy SW and Marvel stuff. We don’t really get it, but love seeing him happy. Unfortunately we will be visiting early August, so he will have to make due with the cheaper ones I guess. But it does sound like a good excuse to go back :wink: Maybe his birthday present?

2 Likes

I read that as “can I beat my 5yo with it” :joy:

3 Likes

Now, I have to say, I’m not going to Disney anytime soon, and even if I were, I would not buy the lightsaber. However, that being said, I view it more as a piece of artwork that will be in your house. You pay that kind of money for a souvenir, and it better be on display somewhere. I will not deny that I have several wands from Universal, and they are beautifully displayed on a wand holder in my living room and they look amazing! How much do people pay for works of art? From that perspective, it’s totally worth it!

Edited: I did not read this entire thread before I commented, so if somebody already said this, just shut me down!

3 Likes

OK. Before I saw the videos and read the reviews I thought - no way. First because its $200. 2nd because I prefer souvenirs that I can integrate into my daily life - cups, shirts, utensils, etc.

But…seeing some videos…I think it looks really cool?? Hmm. .

3 Likes

I felt very similarly after watching some videos. But I still cannot get behind it because we certainly wouldn’t get more than 1 and how do I chose who should go from our family 5 when only 2 of us can get into the experience?? But they do seem “worth” it from the quality plus experience.

1 Like

Do they do refunds? :joy:
Build the lightsaber and then return it for your money back!

1 Like

So is the question “would you pay $200 for a make believe light saber?”

Nope

1 Like

They’re very real, but park policy prohibits activating them on Disney property.

1 Like