Will you buy a $200 lightsaber at SW:GE?

The only things I might buy at Disney are things that have other uses later. Art or clothing, sometimes. Christmas ornaments, always. This time we bought things at the Fjording in Norway, we live where it’s cold and their stuff is really nice.

When the kids were little, I’d let them buy one trinket, plus unlimited books or music on any vacation. To me, it’s about the memories and the experience, plus I just don’t like stuff accumulating around the house.

Anyway, this is a long-winded version of nope, not buying a light saber unless it actually works- I mean really works as in using it for home defense. I think just the sound of a light saber being activated would probably be pretty effective for any would-be burglars. Kevin should have thought of that in Home Alone.

1 Like

Well, I made the mistake of sending the SWGE videos to DH. Now he says that is the one thing that he would regret not bringing back from the trip. So, he will make one, my DS will make one, but my son pointed out, I can be their plus 1.

1 Like

Well, in THAT case . . .

Cheap at twice the price !

Well… you can… but they’ll probably take your lightsaber away after that.

You can have them duel for the opportunity! :grin:

2 Likes

So you can’t turn them on at all?

Not in the way that lets them cut through everything :joy:

1 Like

Can they at least deflect projectiles?

Of course. If the projectiles are slow enough. … And if you’re fast enough! :grin:

1 Like

A jedi/sith with a lightsaber? Of course @Pod’s fast enough!

2 Likes

I’m not really a Sith. I’m just a Jedi in a perpetual bad mood.

1 Like

Nah… honestly, I’d love to see the show and build one. I could care less about actually taking one home with me though and that’s why i just can’t justify the price tag.

1 Like

Hanging a bit too much with Jar-Jar amigo?

1 Like

Hah, that would do it, for sure!

So I think it was on a podcast that I heard this compared more to BBB. I feel like this is a roughly similar price point for that experience. (Although I am guessing BBB has a lower point of entry as well.) But I have never heard of anyone complain that their kids can’t watch other kids get made up for free. I don’t really see why we would expect that to be part of this process.

As a parent, there are plenty of things at all price points that I will have to say no to. I will most likely be saying no to this for sure but I also don’t think it is that ridiculous of a price for what it is.

4 Likes

While I think it’s a fair comparison to BBB to pair the makeover to the making of the light saber, I also can’t help compare the “show” aspect of the light saber to Ollivanders where the general public are able to watch a wand ceremony and feel that they are included, then choose for themselves a wand.

An equal experience to Ollivander’s in GE would be to allow some percentage of general public to view on the “show” aspect & then get to decide if they then want to participate in (and here pay for) the making of their own. I hope in time this will be the case & that the limits to viewing are just due to initial demand.

Also, for BBB and also the similar build a droid experience in GE, while you need an appointment for the makeover or to have waited in a line to register to create the droid, there isn’t any physical wall or barrier preventing other guests who are just spectators in BBB or droid factory catching a glimpse (even if awkwardly so as a stranger) of the experience. In the case of the light saber, only those who pay may enter so it feels a level up from BBB or droid factory.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t Ollivander’s be more akin to the Jedi Training Academy?

:rofl:

1 Like

Now that my mind is more focussed on my December trip, I’ve started watching videos about the SWGE lightsabers.

I can’t promise I’m not going to get one if I can. The mixture of the experience and the quality product at the end of it, along with something to show people when you get home, is somewhat tempting.

3 Likes

So we’ve discussed the pro’s and con’s of purchasing said lightsaber, but how do you get it home???