Why aren’t we talking about Encanto?

So what really doesn’t make a ton of sense is that Darth Vader is only 44 years old in Star Wars, but he looks like he’s 70 when he dies. Obi-Wan was only supposed to be like 57 (compared to Alec Guinness, who was 62). A lot of aging went on in those 20 years after the prequels.

2 Likes

So you’re saying Abuelo was a Jedi?

6 Likes

Hadn’t given it much thought, but you’re right Jeff. I guess Lucas picked Shaw (who was 78 at the time) to have an experienced actor exude the right emotion for that scene. And the aged look can be explained away by the skin damage from the lava and being sealed in that mask all the time (other than when in his pressurized meditation chambers of course).

I’m more used to seeing the rapid aging in soap operas. It’s a thing. SORAS (soap opera rapid aging syndrome) where a 10 year old disappears for a few months and is recast by a 22-year old and suddenly has all the adult issues, hoping it shakes up the ratings. What, am I the only one who got hooked on Days of our Lives for awhile in my late childhood/early adulthood?

4 Likes

I was more of an AMC, OLTL, and GH viewer.

1 Like

I had guessed 5. That just made sense to me sense. He “felt” 5.

1 Like

I love that song.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention: my favorite song is Dos Oroguitas (Two Caterpillars) that is sung during the flashback scene at the end. It’s basically the “Remember Me” of this film. If it were me I’d put that one forward for the Oscar. (The lyrics are by LMM.)

4 Likes

I don’t think the current Disney really understands the concept of a true villain. They’ve wanted to make the main character also be the villain. Remember Woody was originally a big mean bully until Pixar rebelled? In Frozen, Elsa was supposed to be the villain but everyone hated that. They have a bit of an excuse there because the Snow Queen that started the idea. Then look at some recent ones like the villain in 101 Dalmations getting her own stinking movie. Look at the reimagined covers for some of the older movies which puts the villain on the cover, e.g. Scar for Lion King.

Playing armchair psychologist, I think this is a sign the Disney management knows in their hearts that they are villains and they want the world to see that villains aren’t so bad.

2 Likes

And Bruni is the name of the animal sidekick in Frozen 2.

1 Like

No that used to drive me nuts too.

“well of course Nicholas is having issues. Little dude was 4 last season and now he’s come home from college with a fiancé”

3 Likes

As for Abuela being mean, I think she saw the vision contains Mirabel but holds Bruno responsible for the outcome of his visions…
At least she did until Mirabel didn’t get her gift and then she realized the threat to Encanto had not been resolved with Bruno’s departure.

1 Like

She didn’t see the vision until the dinner where the whole family saw it. Bruno went into his vision cave and destroyed it before anyone could see it :confused:

I think she definitely blames Mirabel for her not receiving a gift. She’s the first one since the first gifts were given to the triplet to not receive one. Abuela has to think that the reason is something to do with her- something bad. Without the foresight to see that even without a gift, she’s amazing.

3 Likes

Every time I see the title of this thread, in my head I sing: We don’t talk about Encanto … no, no, no

4 Likes

Same

Really liked the movie and the music! Just like
Vivo the Netflix movie!

1 Like

We are watching Encanto today - again – And I was considering when I learned about ages and therefore birth order in Mirabel’s family. A family of three daughters, like my own.
Isabel (21), Luisa (19), and Mirabel (15)

And as far as birth order theory goes, the movie got it all wrong. Luisa- under so much pressure, responsible for the family, weight of the world, is clearly the oldest. Mirabel is the middle child- always feeling out of place, the black sheep. And Isabel is the youngest child- spoiled, self-centered, pampered by the family, treated as and therefore considers herself practically perfect in every way (my parents named me “Mary” for a reason :wink:).

11 Likes

I’ve come to the conclusion that although we don’t talk about Bruno, I’ve certainly been singing about him a whole awful lot! :speaking_head::speaking_head::speaking_head::speaking_head::joy::joy:

#permanentearworm :notes::musical_note::notes::musical_note::notes::musical_note:

12 Likes

We are watching this once a day. I think of @QwertySC every time Isabela’s song comes because the more I hear it, the more I love it :joy:

8 Likes

That’s funny because I think of her when I hear Luisa’s song :joy:

5 Likes

So I just learned that Disney only submitted Dos Oruguitas for original song at the Oscars. They clearly didn’t expect Surface Pressure, The Family Madrigal, or we Don’t Talk About Bruno to be the big hits when they had to submit. Not a big awards show fan, but I would have tuned into see the cast sing those at Oscars

I’m not even sure who sang Dos Oruguitas but I know it wasn’t any of the main cast. :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Weiiiird

1 Like