Why aren’t we talking about Encanto?

I only spotted that in the second watch through. I liked it. I could’ve used a Camilo back in the day :rofl::sleeping::sleeping:

3 Likes

Agreed! That’s my favorite Camilo scene! My husband missed it both watch throughs. He said Camilo’s skill isn’t very helpful and I pointed out that it doesn’t get much more helpful than shape shifting into a rejuvenated version of an exhausted mother. “I wish you could shape shift into me,” I said :joy: on those days when anything but mom just won’t do.

4 Likes

I was also thinking it was a dumb “gift” at first, and did not notice that scene. But I had thought of other times and places it might be helpful. If he shapes shifts into Luisa, though, is he as strong as she?

3 Likes

I can’t bring myself to rewatch Moana. I did re listen to it as I painted our old house to go on the market. I do like some of the songs, but the movie just doesn’t resonate with me.

3 Likes

In general, I do agree the songs in both Moana and Encanto are more similar than different. I just talked with DD17 about it. She said she’d been thinking about that a lot herself. She is musically inclined and way more into Disney/Disney music than I am.

She wondered if none of the voice actresses had the skills for more aggressive songs. She noted that Luisa and Isabela both have songs that swim around in the same key and don’t offer a bunch of range.

She also wondered why they didn’t tap Demi Lovato or Shakira. There is totally a trend now (not saying I agree or disagree) to only hire talent that matches the identifiers of the character. I don’t know if that helped or hurt in this case.

I love Luisa’s song, but find Isabela’s sort of forgettable. I love the song the Abeulo sings in the end.

1 Like

I also liked the article @Broph1988 shared yesterday.

Other thoughts -
The grandmother says in her speech, “For 50 years…”
That makes the triplets 50 years old.
Did they wait a long time to get married? Or did they wait a long time to have children?
My DD read somewhere that Mirabel was supposed to be 15. What age do they get their gift? I could believe Antonio is as young as 6 or as old as 12… if I stretch. I think he is probably 7 or 8. If that is the age, then it means it had been 7-8 years since Mirabel’s gift night.

If he is as much as 10, his mom was 40. Not impossible. But she was probably even older. The would have had room for another whole generation if they’d started earlier…

I’ve thought WAY MORE about this movie than any other movie in, maybe, my whole life. :laughing:

4 Likes

I didn’t know this, but apparently he wrote some music for the more recent Star Wars music. If he can do that, then I feel like he could have been a little more creative. I also like when different composers are used in a movie. It gives more variety and can sometimes help set up different characters. To me, I don’t care what your nationality/culture, as long as you know how to write music well, but I know what you mean about the trend. It’s hard to say. From what I have read, he had to do some research into Columbia’s culture to write the music.

2 Likes

Good grief - I just found this article.
Encanto: How Old Is Mirabel | Screen Rant

Antonio is five???

2 Likes

definitely

1 Like

Some of the music felt very similar to Vivo (Netflix movie), which Miranda was the lead role and involved in the music.

I like Miranda’s music, so I’m overall OK with it, but it didn’t feel as original of music as it could have to me.

3 Likes

I was going to tell you that my kids told me Antonio was 5 and Mirabel was 15. I don’t know how they knew but as many times as they watched it I trust them! :joy:

He wrote Lido Hey from Rise of Skywalker (festival scene) and Jabba Flow for The Force Awakens (Maz’s cantina).

1 Like

Disclaimer: I have zero knowledge of this movie or its music yet, but getting interested by the reactions here.

No opinion on Demi, but I’d have a tough time with Shakira being re-used for any other Disney roles. Her timbre and vocal nuances are too overtly recognizable that I would never get Gazelle and Try Everything out of my head.

4 Likes

I assumed Antonio was about 5 and Mirabel about 13 (not sure where I got those ages in my head).

1 Like

Five and 15 per that article.

Five seems crazy young!

He wasn’t even born then when Mirabel didn’t get her gift.

And that means his mom had him when she was 45. That might be a miracle. :laughing:

I can’t remember his mom’s name.

3 Likes

It did occur to me that surely Antonio could have helped Luisa with the donkeys :thinking:

1 Like

Yep.
Ever since DD mention Shakira’s name 45 mins ago I’ve been singing Try Everything.

Which DID bump Luisa’s song out of my head for the first time since Saturday.

SO GOOD TO SEE YOU!!!

4 Likes

Gasp!
Yes!!!

Who’s ever heard of such Houdini donkeys. I bet someone keeps letting them out!

2 Likes

40 seems reasonable for a third child though.

(Even a first of course, but probably more common as a second or third or more).

2 Likes

She was 45!

Anyway - they either waited to get married or maybe to have kids? One would think in 50 years there would have been a lot more offspring. Especially if you are trying to maximize gifts.

Bruno disappeared at 40 yo…

I am over thinking all of it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m cleaning my bedroom. And checking my phone. But not Blitzing.

4 Likes

Thanks. Now, it’s in my head.

This! Seems like @Tall_Paul1 had been gone for awhile.

3 Likes