Why aren’t we talking about Encanto?

I think Dos Oruguitas is the best song from the film! I know it’s fun to see the songs performed at the Oscars, but nominating more than one song would have diluted the vote and possibly jeopardized it winning.

I like all the songs and think that stack up nicely against the competition, though I’m not sure what else will end up being nominated, obviously.

5 Likes

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t4::woman_facepalming:t4: I wish I’d noticed you typing while I was searching for that quote :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Even better to show I said it before the news came out! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I didn’t think about that diluting the vote thing. Makes sense.

1 Like

Sebastián Yatra. He’s Colombian, born in Medellin (the accent in this region of Colombia is known to be somewhat musical itself, so that fact stuck in my brain) and a pretty major pop star in the LatinX music scene. Multiple Grammy and Billboard nominations. I can see why they would look to him for the Oscar and wonder if those types of arrangements to put a specific song forward for award are decided contractually in advance of the artist signing on to do music for a film. It’s my least favorite song of the film but I adore the symbolism of it and how it represents the themes in the movie. I just prefer the liveliness of the other songs a lot more.

3 Likes

All this award show drama I know nothing about :joy: I’m learning so much today!

1 Like

I know nothing of awards shows, social media, or pop culture really. But I’m a bit music obsessed. I Spotify all day every day.

It’s not my favorite song from the movie, but I can picture a really beautiful Grammys performance out of it. And if I can picture something beautiful I’m sure the people who actually get paid for that sort of work have something amazing in mind.

The music from Encanto has been in heavy rotation on Sirius Radio’s Disney Hits station.

Thanks for the info. I really wish Disney+ would load the special features. I’m aimlessly searching YouTube for making of and behind the scenes song recording videos, there wasn’t too much (in my admittedly limited search) for dos Oruguitas.

2 Likes

Diluting the vote makes sense. But in a year of limited releases. I would’ve chanced it.

Or maybe I just want to see donkeys playing violin on the Oscar’s stage during Surface Pressure. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

I read an article talking about why it is the only one and it’s because they don’t want to split the votes.

One bit from the article: " In 2014, multiple songs were entered from Boyhood , The Fault in Our Stars , Muppets Most Wanted and Rio 2 , among other films. No songs from those films were nominated. The five nominees that year were the only songs entered from those films."

And probably even more relevant to Disney’s interests: “It has been 12 years since an individual songwriter achieved a double. In 2009, Randy Newman was nominated with two songs from The Princess and The Frog . “Almost There” and “Down in New Orleans” both lost to “The Weary Kind” from Crazy Heart

If Dos Oruguitas does win, it will get Lin the distinction of being an EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony - he is only missing the Oscar).

The full article is here: Oscars: ‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ From ‘Encanto’ Won’t Be Nominated – Billboard .

7 Likes

Lin getting becoming an EGOT is not something I would chance…I am now onboard with Disneys decision.

4 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation of my inclination!

Also, I’m 100% sure Disney talked to LMM and asked him which song he wanted nominated.

3 Likes

Probably so. I know it is the first song he has written entirely in Spanish as opposed to English and then translating it. So I’m sure that entered into his decision as he is super proud of it.

3 Likes

Ok I have seen this now going on 20 times, God help me the kids just love it. And it is actually still pretty good to watch. I actually think encanto may be the best movie since The Little Mermaid.

6 Likes

There was a bit about Encanto on the radio this morning.
Apparently ‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ has officially taken over the success of ‘Let It Go’ in the UK charts! :smiley::smiley:

4 Likes

Damn my hormonal self. 30 weeks pregnant and listening to All of You this morning while taking DD to school - I was a weeping mess, had to pull myself together to walk her to breakfast club :sob:

There’s a rather annoying anonymous post doing the rounds on social media at the moment about how “the animators” had to “fight Disney” to make Luisa muscular. Everyone nodding and going “yeah, yeah, Disney’s evil agenda to force everyone to be skinny”. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t doubt for a second that Disney is a large, profit-driven corporation, and that cartoons are what they are - “traditional” beauty is carelessly used as a quick indicator of personality - but Disney has been flipping that script for decades.

In terms of the best film ever? No. It’s going to take a LOT to beat Tangled for me.

It’s very rushed - Luisa and Isabella, and even Pepa felt like they deserved way more screen time and exploration before their deep-seated issues were tied up neatly with a bow; and Abuela was an abusive monster, but one millions of viewers could say they recognised in an elderly relative who had lived through wartime or other hardship. And Lin-Manuel Miranda still isn’t quite there with the move from musical theatre to film. There was way too much “telling” rather than “showing”. I get that musical theatre fans love that sort of thing, but I’ve always preferred the Disney way of demonstrating something, and then going “here, let me explain it with a song that could also work as a stand-alone”, rather than the standard musical theatre method of setting dialogue to music.

LMM needs to recognise that in film he has the space to allow us to discover and unfold the story and the characters through their actions and interactions (and facial expressions!) rather than having it thrust upon us in (albeit wonderfully-written) song form.

But it’s delightful and there’s bags of material to talk about as a family - particularly with budding stoics and perfectionists!

3 Likes

Tangled is also my favorite more “recent” Disney animated movie as well. Encanto is definitely not at that level.

Your points about musicals are accurate. I enjoy musicals, but I don’t like them as well on film. There are of course exceptions (Sound of Music). But maybe that’s why the songs in Encanto don’t resonate with me. I also find it weird that people are psychologically analyzing this movie. I have a degree in psychology and work in social services. Cartoon characters don’t need that kind of analysis, IMO.

My kids have not asked to rewatch Encanto. To me, the movie is a once a done. Cute, but not something I need to see again.

1 Like