Who is canceling and who is rebooking?

My magical express mail just came :frowning:

We’re scheduled around Memorial Day weekend, 5/19 - 5/26.

I’m happy to do a no-parks trip, but concerned about travel restrictions impacting my or the rest of my family’s ability to get to WDW. We live in NY and CA; if one of our cities/towns is put on lock-down and the resorts remain open, hopefully at least one person can still go.

Hi all –

I wanted to share my experience regarding our third party Disney ticket provider, Get Away Today in our case. Relevant details for our case: we were supposed to leave today for Orlando to spend 5 days in the Magic Kingdom Parks starting Sunday, March 15th (first time for our kids) .
I called this morning at 9AM CST (8AM MST, where they are based). Client rep was easy to work with, and provided the same details that Tom shared above.

I asked about shifting dates out 1 year to next year’s Spring Break; while she did not have details from Disney on how to make that happen, she did say that she would call Disney to find out. In our case, we are ok in paying the difference in tickets for 2020 vs 2019 (we purchased our tickets before the latest price increase). they took my number and will call us back.

If I haven’t heard back by this afternoon I will try back and then continue to follow up tomorrow as well.

I am also on the line with Working Advantage for our Universal Studios one day ticket; I tried their call back option, but did not hear anything after three hours wait, so I called them back. So far I have been on hold for almost 30 minutes.

update: so after about 1 hour and 45 minutes, I made it through to Working Advantage. Our Universal Orlando ticket options were:

1. use the tickets at a later date up to 1 year after purchase (we had purchased these on 12/31/2019, so they would be valid through 12/31/2020), or
  2. get a full refund

We went with Option 2 since we are planning to do the trip next Spring Break.
Processing might take a little bit of time per our call rep due to the extremly high volume that they are dealing with. That said, very professional & curteous on the phone. Kudos to their team in getting through what must be the toughest day of many to come.

Still waiting to hear back from Get Away Today; may try calling them back later today before hittingthe phone in the morning.

Good luck to you all, and be safe!

3 Likes

you might want to call first thing in the morning and see if you can get through? I feel for you; we were in the same boat this week.

I spent 29 minutes today waiting for someone to help me via chat on the Disney website. All changes for our reservation must be made over the phone but they noted not to call for days due to the high call volume. I went ahead and booked another trip in May just in case the parks don’t open at the beginning of April. Has anyone tried to call yet?

This is from a DVC owner, @Nicky_S in another thread which I will link below.

DVC are waiving the “holding” process, whereby if you cancel within 30 days of check-in date then you can only use the points to book a new stay less than 60 days ahead.

Instead they are letting people use those points up until their expiration date. But you can only do that once. If the reservation is booked using banked points they will expire.

They may allow people to “bank” their points later than the rules specify (which is 4 months before they expire).

Legally I don’t think they can extend the expiration date of the points. That is due to Timeshare laws.

So I think DVC is doing everything they can, but many people will lose points.
https://forum.touringplans.com/t/big-problem-with-davids-vacation-owner/71431/7?u=pigsispigs

Just curious, how did you even get through to book? I would guess the phones are jammed

I booked a back up trip on the website.

Regarding DVC reservations, here is the statement from Disney:
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/travel-information/

I have a future stay at a Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World while the park is closed. What does that mean for my vacation?
All Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World, as well as Aulani, Vero Beach and Hilton Head, remain open and all reservations are still active. Should you choose to cancel your reservation, your vacation points will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to their current Use Year. This exception also applies for Members cancelling via the Member Online Booking Tool.

David’s and DVC Rental Store are working with owners to make changes if needed by the renters.
Obviously, they are being inundated with emails and call right now. If your reservation is after April, please hold off contacting the broker for a couple of days so that they can process the March/April reservations.

Statements from David’s and DVC Rental Store regarding point rental reservations:

Ditto - booked a backup trip direct from Disney on website. Changed flights direct with carrier on website.

I haven’t changed my flights since it’s a back up trip in June. I’m still going to stick it out with May until I know more.

Same with me. Booked April 2-5. Only planned on 2 park days. I’m waiting to see what next week brings. Crossing fingers they re-open the parks on April 1.

2 Likes

Why would anyone stay at a DVC property if it weren’t for Disney parks?
Yes, there is pools and other stuff to do,. But nothing worth the expense or bother to get there.

1 Like

I am not able to rebook through the website- anyone else having trouble with this when rebooking?

Yea website is overloaded. I couldn’t get it to work tonight.

1 Like

We decided to cancel our beginning of May trip :cry:. Even if the parks are open and fully operational by then, I am so nervous about what the economy is going to do. It makes the most sense to cancel and save the money for us. I would feel really foolish if we took our Disney trip and then the economy tanked. It sucks to have to be a grown-up with Disney plans.

We were planning to go next in 2022, so if the economy is fine, we will used the money from this trip to make that one even better… I’m hoping for 6 FP’s per day and club level in my future (a girl can dream).

2 Likes

We were supposed to arrive 4/4. We are booked for another reservation starting at 12/25, but are keeping April for now. I doubt we’ll use the April trip but we’re covered.

Southwest just dropped prices a lot in the late May/early June dates I am looking at.

2 Likes

Thank you! Just rebooked my May flights (which I am hoping we get the opportunity to use) and saved $100!

It’s such a bummer to have our countdown go from 9 to at least 365+!!! we will still go someday and I’m grateful that our money was refunded but sad that this moment in time was wrecked. we are wearing our matching shirts and watching Disney+. Went to the store and stocked up on ice cream. The worry for my parents and being a single mom with health issues threatens to be overwhelming. Now that school is closed I am happy to acknowledge that I really only want to see people outside and even then not for a few days. Stay well everyone and if anyone gets to go back anytime soon please do a trip report!!!

2 Likes