Who is canceling and who is rebooking?

I feel your pain, same situation with an RCI exchange, same week. Waiting until the parks are closed for sure that first week in April before changing anything.

We were supposed to arrive on the 29th. Not looking forward to telling the kids when they come home from school today. I had some amazing fast passes and touring plans set up for our trip. Not sure when we are going to go back now, but I believe we have to use our Southwest credits by October 2nd so Iā€™m thinking at this point possible a late September trip.

Thanks for posting this. Really helpful, since my TA hasnā€™t responded. Now that WDW is closed, hope DVC rental store gets some sense and works with renters and renting members to do what they can. The Point Protection Plan, would have been useless in this situation because you get zero within 0-3 days of your reservation. I have been a long time customer of DVC rental store, hoping they do the right thing here. Disney is refunding all resort stays from 3/16-3/31, so it sounds like the renting member would get their points back.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going through HomeAway and looking at rental options as a backup in mid Augustā€¦just in case. But hopefully weā€™ll still be able to go in May and I can just cancel the August rental.

We are supposed to go 4/19-4/28. Flying SW so waiting a while before we decide whether to cancel. Iā€™ve booked a backup reservation for 6/16-6/26 already. Flights are quite a bit higher unfortunately, but the resort is cheaper since we switched to just Pop, so that would make it a little easier to swallow paying the difference in flights.

If June doesnā€™t work, weā€™re really limited as to when we might go later this year. I am absolutely dreading crowds with people rescheduling, but I also know this is going to affect a lot of people financially and maybe many people wonā€™t be able to go (Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s a good thing! Iā€™m just saying, it may impact crowds.) We might be able to swing an early-November trip but I looked at availability and it is scarce.

1 Like

I wonder if you could still do all the same birthday things you were planning when you do go?

After all, it isnā€™t like you guys just felt like going in August and then pretended it was a birthday celebration.

1 Like

Weā€™re schedule to go 5/15-5/23. Hoping for the best but weā€™ll see what happensā€¦ we have a backup trip scheduled for October.

We are headed down April 2nd-4th. We are only scheduled for one park day, so even if the parks are closed, weā€™re still going.

1 Like

Just scheduled a back up at wilderness lodge at the end of September. Still havenā€™t cancelled April, but I donā€™t know why. Iā€™m for sure going to, just canā€™t make myself click that button and make it final.

My co-worker had to rebook. He was set to go last week of March. He rescheduled for May.

I hope somehow the DVC rental situation gets worked out in customersā€™ favor. I have a rental coming up end of May and Iā€™m hoping to still go. But I donā€™t blame Davidā€™s or DVC Rental for their no refund policy. They would go bankrupt if they just returned everyoneā€™s money for charity, and the DVC owners are in the same situation.

Unless, as was mentioned earlier, the owner is getting their points back and can re-rent, AND the DVC stores can somehow get the owners to pay them back for the originally rented time (which may itself be impossible) I just canā€™t see it happening. So those of us who rented are just reaping the extremely low probability outcome we knew was possible when we rented. Thatā€™s why some people always reserve direct through Disney.

3 Likes

This. As they say, nothing is free. Well, in this case, it wasnā€™t freeā€¦just cheaperā€¦but with that ā€œcheapernessā€ comes the negatives encountered now.

Iā€™m facing that a bit now with the house rental we did in May. If I cancel it now, I get 50% back. If I cancel after April 9, I get nothing back. But it is all up to Disney now. If Disney closes the park, Iā€™m potentially out $1315.

3 Likes

Did I read that parks are closed but all resorts remain open? If they closed the resorts, then I guess DVC rentals would have to refund in that case, right?

2 Likes

If the renting DVC member gets their pts refundedā€¦ There should be a rebooking option. Need to dig into the contract this weekend. Since we donā€™t go until the end of May, we have time to see how it plays out with others.

2 Likes

Anyone have any luck yet with refunding UT e-tickets that were labelled as ā€œnon-refundableā€? I have about $1K tied to 8 AK DAH tickets that they better make an exception for and refund me. Obviously itā€™s 100% out of my control that I canā€™t use them on 3/26 as intended. Disney said I canā€™t move these linked tickets to a future event but can only work with the 3rd party to get refunded.

My VAH tickets on the other hand, I bought from Disney so I know those will be automatically refunded per the notice.

I havenā€™t gotten an email response yet from UT and havenā€™t had a chance to call yet. Just wondering what I might expect if anyone has talked to UT yet, or how their customer service is.

I am working with my TA right now at DVC rental to re-book and they are doing everything they can. Hoping Disney gives some flexibility to DVC owners. If they do, I feel pretty comfortable that the flexibility will get passed along to renters. WDW fans are all nice people, right! Just look at all the liners :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping! That is really nice of Disney to accommodate this. They probably arenā€™t contractually obligated to but itā€™s very helpful. Luckily they have been doing well financial up to this point so they have the means to do this - not a lot of companies could. If it was just on the shoulders of the brokers, theyā€™d definitely be put out of business.

1 Like

I donā€™t know that Disney is being accommodating to DVC owners; I am just hoping!
I think Disney would have a nightmare on their hands if they did not give DVC owners the same flexibility that they are showing direct cash purchasers. The TA I mentioned is at DVC Rental Store - that operation is working hard to try to make things right, but so much is out of their hands and the rental contract does not cover things like this.

2 Likes

Rocketmiles just sent out an email outlining how they will try to get refunds on ā€œnonrefundableā€ reservations for people who now cannot travel. I donā€™t have a reservation with them, but am hoping that Priceline follows suit.

This is the response that I expected. As long as the hotels are open and Disney has a room to accommodate you, the contract is upheld.

If the parks are closed, I would still go. The hotel experience is super important to my family; thatā€™s why we rent points instead of staying off property or in value rooms. However, I am concerned that travel restrictions/bans may prevent us from getting to WDW as we are traveling from CA and NY (which I mentioned in my inquiry). If we were the owners, Disney would find some way to accommodate us (like allowing the points to go back into the Use Year). This kind of situation is why I encouraged my parents to look into purchasing our own DVC contract instead of always renting points for all our Disney trips. Paying for insurance every time on the points rental cuts into the savings. We donā€™t cancel trips unless we physically canā€™t go.

At this point we are over 60 days out, so Point Protection would have been some benefit. On the other hand, the parks could be re-opened for our trip. Point Protection is tiered and we would receive less of a refund the closer after 45 days (and absolutely nothing at 0-3 days). We are due to check in 5/19/20 and stay through over Memorial Day weekend to Tues, 5/26. Weā€™ll see what happens.