Who has a crystal ball?

I was pricing out cruises last night for next January (not DCL). It was mostly academic, but it makes me feel happy.
It is possible I will never cruise again, I suppose; but those marketing photos are dreamy. :passenger_ship::beach_umbrella:

1 Like

It could be. But if all Americans who want to be vaccinated have been vaccinated by the summer, as has been promised, I donā€™t think an ā€œoutbreakā€ has the same dire consequences that it would have even now. Either people will be vaccinated or they will have accepted the risk of getting sick willingly (and hopefully arenā€™t at high risk). So you wouldnā€™t have an uncontrolled spread. It would be no different than if the flu were spreading pre-COVID.

That said, maybe itā€™s not September (due to vaccination taking longer than expected), but cruising will return eventually and the problem of one or two people getting sick will always be there, so that alone is not enough reason forever stall the return of cruising.

1 Like

this worries me only b/c of what we are learning about ā€˜long haulersā€™ and permanent side effects after contracting C-19.

But if the risk of getting or spreading COVID is low enough, I think it will be a risk people will accept. Many people would go on a cruise today if it were allowed. I donā€™t think itā€™s right to prohibit activities indefinitely, even if the risk is low. The only reason restrictions are acceptable now is because the risk to society is high, even if the risk to any particular individual is low.

1 Like

All sailings cancelled through May 2021

and Disney Magic through 8/10/2021

My wonderful TA strongly discouraged me booking any cruise for all of 2021. :cry:

1 Like

Yeah, she is sad. :frowning:

1 Like

Makes me glad I made the call when I did to postpone to 2022. I really hope itā€™s ā€œnormal enoughā€ by then to make it worthwhile.

2 Likes

Here we go.
Royal is first mainstream line to announce this, I believe.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/adventure-of-the-seas?ecid=em_12041133&rid=653281252&rcid=49354387&empc=RCIN_SPE_BahamasAnn_0321&emsc=RCIN_SPE_BahamasAnn_0321_CS_US&empf=&emct=PRE-GOLD&lnkid=INTRO_CTA&ect=TAC&ecv=CAS

Other will likely followā€¦

Sorry I havenā€™t been following RC. What is new here? That they are delaying the resumption of cruises? Or that they are restarting in June?

Restarting date in June :tada: and requiring vaccinations.
As of Sunday it was only minor market lines who had made vaccination a requirement. Itā€™s been long expected, but this is news.

1 Like

RC is also booking cruises out of Barbados (in December?) are we confident it will not be required on those sailings?

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping to dig into these cruises this weekend.
The cruise critic message forum has a lot of ongoing conversations.
It looks like the CDC wonā€™t let any ships out of the US, so cruise lines are going out of their ā€œhomeā€ ports. And the laws are being levied by the other countries.
Iā€™ll let you know what I find!
I canā€™t afford to fly to other ports and we arenā€™t vaccinatedā€¦ but I still love cruise news. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Baby stepsā€¦

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6024/

3 Likes

Do we think that 2021 cruises that are currently for sale are for sale at full capacity? Like is there a possibility they would need to ā€œbumpā€ people off already-sold cruises if they are allowed to start up at X% capacity?

I have nothing factual for you. Possibly. But I bet a ton of people have bailedā€¦ If you were really curious, maybe call DCL and ask how they are handling it?

My educated guess is that they are selling the minimum capacity that they could profitably operate at, but no more. (My guess is 25%.) Until they are approved to run at at least that capacity, they wonā€™t run. And they will only add more capacity when confirmed that it will be allowed. They donā€™t want to have to bump anyone.

1 Like

All my mock bookings have been for Carnival out of Charleston, SC, bc we are working to move to SC. Most cruises for 2021 have very little availability, but I donā€™t really know if that is because it has been capped low or because people keep moving out bookings from cancelled ones.

Ah! Now that makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m not booked yet and a Disney Cruise in October would be a backup to a backup vacation. Iā€™m just kind of curious because if I do book Iā€™m not sure I could handle my 15th vacation being cancelled for a technicality. Iā€™m not set on a specific date and Iā€™ve been looking at verandah rooms, but there seem to be lots of open rooms.

2 Likes

Far from the test cruises theyā€™ve been lobbying for, at least four vessels will have some degree of use immediately as some ships will be used to assist evacuees.

Volcano eruption in Caribbean prompts mass evacuation during popular vacation week | Fox News

2 Likes