What's the longest continuous time you've worn a mask?

Costco requires them and you are shopping there.

2 Likes

I think the issue is most people donā€™t know how to wear them properly or arenā€™t wearing them properly, which means they arenā€™t very effective. I see people constantly touching their faces to readjust them after touching a number of things in the store. Iā€™m not saying we get rid of them, but we should focus on methods that are easier for everyone to use safely, including people who canā€™t wear masks.

1 Like

According to this article:

It seems as though, at least in a transient setting (like a store), she is not entirely wrong.

ā€œBut with general breathing, 20 viral particles minute into the environment, even if every virus ended up in your lungs (which is very unlikely), you would need 1000 viral particles divided by 20 per minute = 50 minutes.ā€

1 Like

Headed out to Six Flags in a bit-will report on different masks and comfort levels later todayā€¦

5 Likes

Oh? Can you prove that? This is a droplet spread illness. If a person is not projecting droplets then why wear a mask?

It is currently just under 80F here in the UK, with 70% humidity. I walked about 7,000 steps (4 miles) in about an hour and a half with the dog. He was panting when we werenā€™t in the shade. I was so sweaty I took my watch off.

No way would I wear a mask in those conditions. Both physically and psychologically (claustrophobia) it would be misery.

If compulsory mask-wearing is still a thing in October, I really canā€™t see me flying nine hours (with a mask on) in order to come to Florida.

Iā€™ve been looking at UK theme parks, which are reopening on 4th July (a date which means nothing to us). They are saying they will require masks on some rides. No general requirement while walking around.

Which is the rule more generally. Masks are only compulsory on public transport.

2 Likes

Once again, no one here is going to say the ā€œmagic wordsā€ and have another person suddenly see how very wrong they were regarding masks/no masks. Keeping that in mind, please be kind. Once again- if you have to write it-great- but erase or cancel before you post.

7 Likes

One person breathing may not make a difference, but the employees have to be in the store for up to 8 hour shifts, with a potentially constant stream of people coming in and breathing/coughing. Coughing isnā€™t always predictable, either. Occasional sneezes and coughing are part of life, even if you arenā€™t ā€œsick.ā€

Everyone is safest is everyone wears a mask. Itā€™s that simple. Skirting the rules is disrespectful of the employees who may not have much of a choice in being in enclosed areas for extended periods of time.

9 Likes

I was just wondering if you would consider wearing a face shield? While probably not as effective as a cloth face covering, it would be better than nothing, and it communicates to people that you are doing what you can.

There was a family at the grocery store with a son in a wheelchair wearing a face shield, and I really appreciated they were doing that.

I take prayer requests from my grocery clerks and baggers. In the beginning of this, many were just asking for prayers for the overall situation or their usual specific needs. Recently, they are almost unanimously asking for prayers for their health and that they donā€™t carry Covid home to their families. They are understandably anxious but still plodding along serving us. (Our curbside pickup is in high demand so I donā€™t use it to leave it more available for those with vulnerable households.)

3 Likes

I actually witnessed this first hand the other day in Walmart. An employee was walking down the aisle with her mask pulled down. And then unexpectedly, she started coughing. Sigh.

4 Likes

Ive been tested, its negative and I cough and sneeze on the regular due to pollen allergies. I get stares all the time lol

2 Likes

Allergies are horrifying right now. You may as well have covid from the freak out it causes for others.

1 Like

Any time I sneeze or clear my throat I look for pitchforks and torches coming toward me

2 Likes

Not helped by the fact that I try to not drink anything when I have to go out,or while Iā€™m out. I donā€™t want to have to use a bathroom. So then my throat gets all yuck and uncomfortable.

1 Like

I just received something from AARP (yes, Iā€™m ALMOST old enough to qualify but those emails sure bring me down!) saying face shields are maybe better than masks?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve worn a mask for 4+ hours in the airport and on a flight, but that was all in AC. I was annoyed with it, but itā€™s doable if required - it completely sucks though. I did see that when Tokyo DL opens, guests can remove masks while outdoors if they can ā€˜socially distance 6 ftā€™. Iā€™d be totally on board with that! I realize Florida is not close to allowing the same at the moment, but Iā€™m hoping eventually Disney will allow that in WDW as well.

Sorry to correct you @sanstitre_has_left_the_building but that date dose mean something to us - we have made it past the 3rd July :rofl:

Aw, donā€™t be sore losers. :wink:

When my team used to travel to London for work, our British colleagues had a tradition of decorating the conference room for July 4th for any Americans visiting. It was super sweet.

1 Like

No, 1776 was a good year. So was 1066 when we crossed the channel to support our Duke William to acquire England. We also have a national holiday - 9th May to celebrate our liberation from German occupation :smiley:

2 Likes

Spent six hours at six flags today. Temp was 86 degrees but low humidity. Hands down the most comfortable mask was the blue, paper, medical one you can order off Amazon with 50 masks/box. DS11 agreed. We also tried cotton masks that tied behind the head and masks that are ā€œcoolingā€ masks made of dry fit material we ordered off Etsy. We will test against in two weeks when hopefully temps and humidity are much higher.

7 Likes