What's the longest continuous time you've worn a mask?

I was idly fantasising about a summer trip to Orlando this afternoon. No real seriousness to it. Just a bit of fun.

Anyhoo, the rules are that you have to wear a mask at the departure airport, and on the plane, and at the arrival airport, and on DME (presumably, if it’s still a thing) and in the public areas of the hotel (yes?)

So for a UK guest, that’s about 15 straight hours of mask wearing with no relief. Virgin Atlantic’s website even notes that masks last about four hours at most, so you should bring a supply with you on the plane to be sure you can remain covered at all times.

1 Like

I “practiced” last week when the temps hit about 90 degrees F. Had it on for 3+ hours straight, including while I was grilling up some food on the grill outside. It went amazingly well, which is making me more optimistic for our August trip.

3 Likes

You do get to take it off to eat and drink!

Sure, but where in those 15 hours am I eating and drinking? There are certainly going to be no long, leisurely lunches.

I wear one for 8 hrs at work but thats inside in AC. I’m sure there will be quick moments to take them off. I keep warning my 6 year old we have to wear one all the time… in august.
Its going to suck royally but I’m going to do it anyways. I need this vacation…and i’ll be at disney!

1 Like

We did an outdoor event for students over a weekend. The first day was full sun and between 88-94 all day. The second day was in the 80s. I wore a mask for 7 hours each day without a break. I wore a large hat both days (my “cruise” hat) and avoided those weird burn lines a few coworkers had for a week.

13 hours with a mask and a faceshield…but i work in a hospital so it is required. You never really forget its there but you do get used to it after a while. The face shield is way more annoying to me. Hospital is airconditioned though…so not much experience wearing in the heat yet. Zoos are set to open in a few weeks so i get to test it out there.

1 Like

In Orlando, I always wear this —

(I’m not usually looking as cheerful as I am in that picture, so don’t be misled by my broad smile and bright eyes.)

13 Likes

We live in middle georgia…hot as all get out. I wear one daily for my job and DH is a welder/metal fabricator in a non-air conditioned shop. He wears an N95 under his welding hood during work so, we’re good

That will avoid those crazy burn lines!

I have worn a mask for over 13 hours at work. It was a long shift and I only took it off for about 15 minutes to eat lunch.

I frequently work 10 hour shifts and wear a mask for all but lunch break (30 minutes or so).

I am not too bothered by masks but many of my coworkers are and mess with theirs all day long.

I recently flew and had one on for 7 hours while traveling/flying and did not take it off during that trip until I left the airport.

I’m terrified of the Sun. I have the whitest skin in Christendom. I burn immediately. It’s a giant ball of fire, you know #science

3 Likes

Is your username a clue that you’re tougher than the average bear? Maybe that’s why you’re not a moaner like me.

2 Likes

I wore a mask at an outdoor wildlife park last Saturday for about 2 hours. It was not hot (maybe mid to high 60’s F) but very humid. By the end of the time the inside of my mask was wet. (This was a disposable paper mask - not medical grade.) And that, my friends, is GROSS! I am now looking at masks that say they stay dry on the inside …

1 Like

No leisurely, 3-hour meals on travel day probably. But you did say continuously!:wink:

I don’t wear a mask in the car. And I will not go anywhere where I have to wear a mask all day minus eating and drinking times. So, no amusement park until we know more and things settle. In the Florida heat and humidity, I will be passed out relatively soon from not getting enough air into my lungs.

1 Like

Ugh. I hate lawyers. I bet you’re a lawyer, aren’t you?

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer so we can continue to be friends!:smile:

1 Like

30 hours on my trip from Brazil to Germany (2 short flights, one long + 2 layovers, plus the trip home).

I removed my mask only to eat or drink. I thought it was going to be OK (I had spent 5 hours with a mask outside before without any issues), but it was extremely unpleasant. I couldn’t sleep, I didn’t drink enough water and my mouth started to hurt due to friction around hour 20. It felt like heaven removing it once I got inside my apartment. I think my limit is 20 hours.

4 Likes

24 hours…but that was at work in the air conditioning with breaks for eating/drinking and taking a nap. Florida weather, or outside in general, would be a different story. I do find myself getting winded when talking for long periods of time or climbing up a few flights of steps with a mask on.

2 Likes

We were at UOR last week with 3 hour flights to get there/back. Total of 5 days. Wore masks 100% of the time unless we were eating, actually in the pool, or in our hotel room (which wasn’t much). I guess we did check out a U-rest area (mask free) at IoA for about 10 minutes just to see what it was (old Sinbad theatre, pretty cool).

2 adults and 3 kids (13, 10, 8). With breaks for eating and drinking, I’d guess longest completely continuous stretch was maybe 3-4 hours? But multiple 3-4 hour stretches per day. And we didn’t draw out snacks/drinks to stay mask free as much as possible, as I’ve seen some suggest. If we were walking around with a drink, I’d take it down to drink, and put it back up in between.

1 Like