What's the first thing you buy?

I’m editing to include that in that series, the previous “strong” female lead is best known for “Help us Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re our only hope!”

I’m not trying to change your mind, just give you maybe another perspective.

1 Like

I agree. HOWEVER, I felt there were missed opportunities in character development with Rey. Part of that came out of the fact that the final trilogy changed hands each episode, resulting in not a complete understanding of her story. Blurring the next bit to avoid potential spoilers as @Bubblez pointed out. But they only sort of kind of toyed her identity issues, which fundamentally should have been explored far more…she is, after all, the epitome of nature versus nurture. Her nature should have been pure evil, but in the end it was the opposite. And while this is seemingly the case in Luke’s story, it wasn’t really, since there was “still good in him”, etc. But in the case of Rey, they just really didn’t go there at all. The best we got was some weird mirror effects of herself in a cave.

To me, Rey was a good character. But I found Finn far more compelling overall.

2 Likes

I’m just glad this didn’t come out before the Super Liner Bros. trip or it would have been doomed!

2 Likes

This has dipped into spoiler territory for OB!

I’ll end it with saying, yes. I also agree with your last statement and can totally see that perspective.

Me either. I just don’t like it. I’m so proud, DS13 says the same. He just likes having the physical book best.

2 Likes

It can always go back! Just waiting on others to chime in.

Well played!

Rogue One is amazing! I don’t usually like movies with that type of ending, but I loved it. I enjoyed Solo, but couldn’t buy into the actor as Han Solo. To me he was like a different character.

5 Likes

Okay. But Rogue One is only so awesome because you had already seen A New Hope. Yes, on repeat viewings, that order is right. But the end of Rogue One is only as amazing as it is because you already know what comes next…

4 Likes

Actually, this is the part that annoys me about RO. I love it UNTIL the very ending. Then…well…sure, there is the surprise/shock factor. But from a story-telling perspective, it actually doesn’t make sense to me. Actually, I’m really just taking about the VERY final scene, basically.

I had no clue was was going on and I KNEW what was next. It was just a cool ending!

Sometimes the story line goes a little too into the weeds for me never reading the books. For me, sometimes, it’s like dropping a bowl full of marbles then asking me exactly which path each one went.

1 Like

I have only watched the original three movies so I have nothing to contribute to this conversation.

However, the first thing I will get when I finally get to Disney is a Dole Whip.

5 Likes

Nice!

I don’t really begrudge anyone for liking the prequels, but I found them to be exceptionally boring.

1 Like

I think the purchase would be a mug. Maybe not first, probably a dole whip (or a kakamora float because those are really good). If I’m choosing an attraction then BTMRR is my pick. ROTR is great and a better ride, but BTMRR is very Disney and it let’s me know I’ve arrived.

5 Likes

Our family is buying Christmas ornaments on every trip. Our first thing to do on the next trip will hopefully be Ratatouille. Kids (DD4, DD5, and DD7) are all big fans of the movie and somehow they like Epcot the best.

4 Likes

Oh! And the first thing I’m going to buy on my May trip? Bread Service at Sanaa… scored a night at Kidani and it’s not a park day. Now to get the reservation…

5 Likes

Oh. I see this thread had a point other than discussing the various merits of each of the SW films.

Since we went back already, I’ll just answer this based on the NEXT time we go back, which will be to UOR: Velocicoaster. It COULD be open by the time we go. Probably won’t. But if it is, we’ll be doing our best to get there for it!

3 Likes

This thread took a truly odd tangent @Bubblez :smirk:

3 Likes

Hard disagree. Blurring spoiler stuff: She didn’t gain much power or whatever, but she had to come to terms with who she was, how she fit in, find a way to love herself, find a family, etc. Her biggest weakness is that she didn’t think she had innate worth. She relied on the idea her parents loved her and would return for her to derive worth for herself. She had to get over that and realize she had value external to what her parents or anyone else thought of her.

As to the very ending, yes, I agree. But I think the entire movie is awesome on its own.

3 Likes