What's the first thing you buy?

Cannot do a digital book. Have tried

Need the weight of the book and the smell of the ink on the pages as I fan it, and the visual cue of progress.

I love books. Swoon.

7 Likes

This one got removed from the docket. Now they are making Rogue Squadron directed by Patty Jenkins, which will come out in December 2023. Taika Waititi has also been announced as the director of an untitled Star Wars film, but no release date or synopsis has been released. Rian Johnson was announced as a director of a new trilogy in a different era of the Star Wars universe, but that one has been put on the back burner for at least a few more years, and may never get made (he claims he is still working on it, as recently as last month).

1 Like

Every time I re-read it I feel like I’m picking up new small details I might have missed before. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m doing it on the Kindle or because I read it right before I fall asleep, but it’s fun!

The escapism is exactly why I picked it. Enjoy the re-read!

1 Like

Me too - I don’t like it. But I do audiobooks. That is my preferred way to read these days if I just want to get through a book. If I want to savor it, I read hard copy. I have two books by my bed that I am reading simultaneously, each for about 30 minutes before bed.

1 Like

As much as I love(d) Barnes and Noble and Borders and the coffee shops therein, it will never replace the smell of a good library.

My all time favorite was the grad level math section of Princeton, down in the basement. I can still recall the smell to this day.

There’s also a phenomenal bookstore in Chicago if you’re ever in that area.

https://57th.semcoop.com/

2 Likes

I added this edit to my post so I don’t get called out:

Edit: Technically the Machete Order is 4,5,2,3,6,(1) (was made before sequels or anthology films) but the above is basically a modified version.

1 Like

Wow… I so miss that particular bookstore! There’s another great one just down the street too, though I don’t remember the name off hand. I went to school in that area, but sadly haven’t been back in a few years. Now I want to go just to visit the bookstores again!

1 Like

I love book too, as evidenced by one room that is floor to ceiling, wall to wall books… my own personal library; true story! But being a military family (moving a lot) that was always over our weight limit (due to my library) my DH asked me if I wouldn’t consider a kindle pleeeeezze. I started buying my leisure reading digitally but still purchased hard copies of all the reference material I require for my work. I love to write, highlight etc. my reference books. I do still buy hard copies of favorite series b/c one must :wink:

1 Like

I highly, highly recommend it! Grab a sandwich from Medici while you’re there!

My DH took us a few years back and we must have spent 3 hours in that store. I found so many books from my childhood that I just couldn’t find anywhere else. We ended up shipping everything home because we wouldn’t be able to get it in our luggage.

And lunch, SO good! Worth the wait and more.

1 Like

You are dead to me.
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

:point_up_2:

1 Like

Only ever have done for long runs 8 miles or longer. It’s a great way to pass the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going to choose a different finger, but you do you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I believe you can (could?) buy this scent as a perfume of sorts at one time.

And I wholeheartedly agree

1 Like

I have all the jealousy!! I want that someday! DH keeps asking why I don’t get rid of my books. This is why! They may be in the basement now, but someday they will be in my Library

2 Likes

The whiny aspect of Luke in IV is actually something I appreciate. It is part of his arc. He WAS a whiny kid who didn’t yet understand the bigger picture. He didn’t appreciate the protections that had been put in place for him, etc. To see his character grow from that into a full-fledged Jedi was such an incredible journey for me as a kid to watch. Many of the best stories and characters I see in movies, TV shows, or books are characters you start out not liking in many ways. But that’s the point. They have to grow and change, etc.

In some ways, I feel Rey was NOT this. I really didn’t see her “grow” and change over time very much, other than in realization of her ability. Who she was in the beginning was who she was in the end…only more powerful.

2 Likes

I know it doesn’t float everyone’s boat, but for me, the prequels are magnificent. I get that there are a few awkward lines of dialogue, and some annoying characters. But the cinematography is magnificent, the effects, though perhaps stretched too far, were on the order of building the pyramids in terms of the sheer force of will to complete them, and the score is perfect, as are all Williams scores. I’m glad they exist, and I’m glad no one will force you to watch them. :wink:

Also, here is one of my favorite quotes:

“Suppose one man likes strawberries and another does not; in what respect is the latter superior? There is no abstract and impersonal proof either that strawberries are good or that they are not good. To the man who likes them they are good; to the man who dislikes them they are not. But the man who likes them has a pleasure which the other does not have; to that extent his life is more enjoyable and he is better adapted to the world in which both must live.”

– Bertrand Russell

1 Like

Yes. Don’ leave those out.
I actually prefer RO over all the others!

4 Likes

This post went in a different direction. Ha. 95% Star Wars instead of intended question. :man_shrugging::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Well at least people are sharing which is always good.

3 Likes

The reason that I agree with this IS the reason I can’t imagine anyone else doing it, I still, personally, knew he was acting as with the other actors I felt immersed in the story.

Yes, and I don’t do this very often, I loved that she WAS a badass, and just learned how to focus it, as opposed to an entire origin story. Other than Laura Croft in Tomb Raider, there aren’t a lot of unapologetic strong female leads. Rey was engaging, funny, and a complete badass. I never once felt outside of her story.

As a traditionalist, my love will always be with the first 3, but Rey, for me, challenged that for the first time in any series ever.

2 Likes