What will the coronavirus do to wdw crowds in April, May, June?

Ohio schools are not closed until summer- only until April 6 at this point.

During the press conference today, Trump said his advisors, Iā€™m guessing namely the infectious disease experts, said July-August for this to be over. I really hope not, but thatā€™s the opinion of people who know a helluva lot more than we do about this situation.

2 Likes

I think the clue is that Disney just let most of their CMā€™s go and are having them move out and return to their country if that be the case. I have a feeling that your looking at three month at the least.
Sorry!

There was some conflicting info that came out of that briefing. I think Trump meant gone completely. Dr. Anthony Fauci, stated that speration policy may only be 15 days. And were getting into warmer weather. China is way on the backside of rhe curve. Hopefully were back to normal by mid April

Iā€™m thinking this is a best case scenario time frameā€¦

AMC Theatres announced on Monday that it will close all theaters nationwide for six to 12 weeks in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

2 Likes

I agree. Always nicer to surprise people with an earlier opening than keep pushing things out.

3 Likes

What would you prefer for WDW?

People plan those trips so long in advance (Disneyā€™s own fault, with 180 days ADRs and 60 days FP making early planning almost required), I donā€™t know if it is better to be optimistic (and need to cancel last minute) or pessimistic (and peopleā€™s trips being cancelled without need).

Maybe with this Disney will learn that this focus on early planning is harmful and move to system more similar to DLR.

2 Likes

I got the you can book your FP+ tomorrow email from TP - no I canā€™t because my airline isnā€™t flying for 30 days :grimacing: We are waiting for RCI to allow cancellation without penalty for timeshare before considering things officially cancelledā€¦and then moving on to rescheduling.

I wasnā€™t thinking about WDW as much as local places.

I would totally use this as an opportunity to rework WDW back to the olden days of FP, or even better, to MaxPass.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if they make any major changes while they have a natural ā€œresetā€

1 Like

I am now thinking on how they will reopen the parks. Will they just keep extending the closure dates until someday they donā€™t extend it anymore? And while a future date is not closed, have business as usual for it (FPs, ADRs, extra events?)

Or will they move to until further notice and announce a reopening at some point?

I think they will extend a week or two at a time until they have a really good system for handling cancellations and then it will change to ā€œuntil further noticeā€.

4 Likes

I expect them to keep incrementally extending the closure as necessary. If they just came out and announced that they were closed until further notice, people would be wiping their backsides with Disney stock certificates because they would be worth less than black market toilet paper. The incremental announcements maintain the sense that all this is temporary.

5 Likes

I mean, black market toilet paper is quite expensive right now :joy:

4 Likes

So just to play along, when the time comes that Disney does pick a date to re-open I wonder when they will let the public know. Obviously their CMs will be informed at some point & rumors will be all over the place until then. Soft open to AP holders? DVC? Iā€™m neither of those, just curios is all.

My Florida trip is end of May with a check in date of 6/1 so I hope itā€™s sometime in May.

DH works for a company that makes medical equipment. Other than the people who work on the production lines, most will have to stay at home. We will likely watch him burn his PTO over these next weeks.

What started as an innocent thread now has me wondering if as many of us would-be travelers (WDW or otherwise) will necessarily be able to given further economic fall out.

Folks who use up all their PTO. Or people who are self-employed and then canā€™t afford a trip. Things like that.

I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve been hoping for a great cruise deal for a road trip/cruise this summer. I was pricing it out as recently as 3/1. Now I just want to not die.

4 Likes

Donā€™t feel bad, I have been hoping for a recession for years as the Disney parks have been so crowded, it was clearly too affordable. Not I feel like crap for even wishing for something that is now going to happen and will hurt so many.

2 Likes

I can relate. It is a sickening feeling.

3 Likes

This is almost more frightening than the disease. Itā€™s going to be a rough summer I think.

1 Like

The economic consequences are going to be HUGE. People are already being laid off in service industries, with the idea that hopefully those businesses can stay afloat by cutting costs so that they then can re-hire those people when this passes. But if this lasts too long, businesses will never re-open, people will be unemployed for long periods and the economy will really suffer.

It all has to be done, we have Italy and China as examples of that, but I donā€™t doubt this will be felt for a long while. Crowds later this year may be thinner than people think because the group of people who can afford to go to Disney is a lot smaller than it previously was.

3 Likes