What will the coronavirus do to wdw crowds in April, May, June?

And America may remain closed to visitors from overseas.

3 Likes

Ohio schools have not announced closure beyond April 6 (I teach here). Governor DeWine said it COULD happen. Time will tell but I wouldn’t be surprised if we do not return.

We are scheduled to go to DLR at the end of June. Amazing how your perspective changes, my family is like, “bring on 10+ crowds because it means it’s open and we are there!”

2 Likes

One thought on Disney crowds.

I bet there will be a bunch of people that will cancel instead of reschedule because they just can’t afford the trip anymore. Same for people that might have decided to plan a trip recently or in the next few months. Those vacations might now be to rent a cabin in a nearby lake, for example.

3 Likes

Brian just posted a video on YouTube. Obviously he doesn’t have any more information than anyone else on when the parks will reopen. But, he did say that their statisticians best guess is that the month or two after the parks open will be fairly slow, then the 2-8 months after they reopen will be busier than Touring Plans predicted then around 8 months thing should normalize to whatever the new normal is. The issue he points out could be is if everything shuts down again if the virus comes back next winter.

5 Likes

I have an early June trip planned with my son and one of his friends and his friends father were going to join us for part of the trip. I got a text today saying they are going to cancel due to the financial impact they are already feeling.

I’m not quite so sure April and May will be an issue.

Also, I didn’t see Brian’s video on YouTube but did he mention the economy relative to crowd expectations? If the economy tanks, I think it will take much longer to see crowd levels come back.

If you read further in the article it also mentions a possibility of the parks staying closed until past April with the CDC guidelines.

It seems a mid-May reopening is the earliest possibility. :frowning:

1 Like

That is kinda what I am thinking as well

Yes, we have been on the fence about our trip starting 5/16.

I would love to see a blog post about how past economic downturns have effected the crowd levels at the parks.

1 Like

Me too.
I think it will be those who can afford to go will be treated to some slightly lower crowds and some great incentives.
When I consider 2008-2011.

1 Like

My TA said on her FB post that she is recommending summer or early fall for people looking to book or rebook.

This whole situation made me aware of the fact that crowds are actually a good thing.

No crowds can mean:

• People don’t want to be there - this can be nice, if it is something that is not a problem to you but it is a problem to most people (like waking up super early). But in WDWs case, which is designed to appeal to everyone and be an extremely convenient vacation, people not wanting to be there at all would be a very bad sign.

• People can’t afford to be there - that means it is too expensive, or people don’t have that much disposable income anymore.

Both things are bad. Low crowds means that something somewhere is going not so well. Hopefully this insight will make me more understanding of having a bunch of people where I want to go. And hopefully I will see those crowds soon :smile:

There is also a third alternative, which is less and less common, which is people just not knowing about it. Definitely not the case for WDW, and each day a new blog post is written making some place else more widely known.

1 Like