What WDW value hotel would you choose for a solo trip?

Right?! My DD thought we were in all star sports when I got our room assignment while at HS. Very confusing.

2 Likes

Yeah, Sports would be dead last for me in terms of theming. A real let-down if that were my only choice.

3 Likes

Have you considered renting points? The problem with this is that it’s not refundable but I have stayed at Boardwalk Inn for $160 during the pandemic and I’ve stayed post pandemic (well not really post since I got Covid on my last stay but you know what I mean) for under $300/night. It puts deluxe resorts into the pricing of moderates.

And if you’re willing to be flexible about dates you can find great last minute deals. @LTinNC82 has a site she gave with fantastic rates. I think for our Jan trip I saw rooms at AKL for $175/night give or take.

3 Likes

Those are some great deals you found! I’m looking to go low-stress for this trip, and nonrefundability is high-stress for me. And dates are not flexible.

5 Likes

I understand. For my solo trip I booked it last minute and got $99/night at Coronado Springs. (Keep an eye out for Hotwire deals if you’re willing but again that’s non refundable. But if you book something refundable now and last minute there are deals on Hotwire or renting points you might could switch hotels once you know you are really going)

3 Likes

Exactly.
I’ve done this a lot in the last year with moving

3 Likes

DVCSHOP. You can find some deals there. Not as many this year than last since travel has pretty much rebounded and then some now. Last year I got 5 nights at OKW in September for less than $200/night, 3 nights at AKL Jambo in December for under $200/night and 1 night at AKL savnna view in December for under $300.

3 Likes

Yeesh, you people know how to crush a deal.

2 Likes

It is embarrassing how often I check that website. And Disney’s. Even if I already have something booked I just habitually check to see if something awesome opens up.

4 Likes

This was my thought. I’m sure skyliner is convenient but it’s about a 5 minute walk to epcot from Dolphin.

Assuming you find a price deal. Or have Marriott points.

3 Likes

:100:

I love the ability to walk. No need to worry about a long line for a bus, skyliner or boat (or lightning for these two). I would choose the Swandolphin over Riviera for this reason too. I like the ease of going back to my room whenever I want from two different parks including my favorite. However, I like Lyfting too. I’d do that again for AKL which is a fantastic resort.

4 Likes

I definitely find renting stressful both as an owner and a renter…

I know it’s a great way to save on a deluxe resort but please if you consider this make sure you get a signed contract and preferably use a rental company- unless you really know the owner…renting is a gamble- odds are in your favor but “owner” has control of the reservations at all times and If things go south there is no protection.
As an owner I twice I had people I knew, ask me for reservations small deposit and at 31 day mark than they ghosted . Wound up taking 2 trips on short notice - deposits didn’t cover our gas down to Florida…both great trips but still

2 Likes

I wonder if I should consider the non-Disney hotels that are walkable to Disney Springs and have Early Entry privileges. I’d love to be able to walk to something, and I could visit DS more than once that way.

Of course, that would mean sacrificing The Bubble. I thought that didn’t matter much to me as far as accommodations go, but after my recent stay at the Dolphin I’m not so sure.

Coincidentally, I just got a TravelZoo email with a great offer for B Resort Lake Buena Vista, but sadly it doesn’t extend quite far enough to cover my dates.

I have very rarely found a DS hotel for cheaper than an all Star resort once you add in the resort fees. It happens occasionally, but for the most part I’ve always found All stars cheaper or moderately more expensive and with more convenient transportation I find it hard to choose the DS resorts.

3 Likes

I’m seeing a MouseSavers 4-night deal for the brand-new Drury for $652 (they do not have resort fees, yay) vs. $832 for All-Star Movies preferred room, plus tax for both. Drury will have free breakfast and Early Entry and is close to Disney Springs.

Convenient transport is important to me—in what way is it better at All Stars?

Oh that is a good deal. I stayed at the Drury when it was a Best Western and it had 2 bus routes. It shared these routes with 2 or 3 other DS resorts and one went to AK and EP and the other went to MK and HS. It could be a loooooong time between when you got on the bus and when you got off of it.

Eta: also the buses don’t drop off/pick up at MK they go to TTC and the AK buses pickup/drop off at a stand on the parking lot side of AK, not where the Disney buses are.

3 Likes

Everything I read says if you stay in these hotels rent a car or take uber/lyft. Their transportation is bad and it’s still quite a walk to the DS busses which won’t take you to parks but other resorts from which you’ll still have to get to the parks. So you could this for Contemporary Resort and walk to MK or Beach Club and walk to Epcot for example but be prepared to walk a lot.

1 Like

Okay, that bus system does sound like a PITA. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

I don’t like to drive, but I guess with the money saved on accommodations I could afford to ride-share everywhere.

So it would come down to, do I want to be in The Bubble or do I want to be able to walk to Disney Springs?

1 Like