What WDW value hotel would you choose for a solo trip?

I’m trying to talk myself into a solo WDW visit at the beginning of December. I’ll probably book something refundable this weekend and finish convincing myself later (if ever), just so the decision isn’t taken out of my hands by waiting too long and finding there’s nothing left to book (if it’s not too late already).

Previously I’ve split the cost of a deluxe resort room with traveling companions, but if it’s just me I don’t think I can justify the deluxe price tag. I like deluxe mainly for the proximity to the parks—on my April trip earlier this year, I stayed at the Dolphin and really appreciated being able to walk to Epcot and DHS.

So, to keep this trip affordable, I’ll probably try one of the value resorts. I’ve never stayed at (or even visited) any of them. I’m thinking Pop Century or Art of Animation, because of the Skyliner access.

But I’d be grateful for any suggestions you might have for accommodations. Other factors that might influence a recommendation, besides my flying solo: I’ll be staying 5 days / 4 nights, with a 4-day ticket (maybe park hopper?), and visiting each of the 4 parks, and Disney Springs, at least once. Oh, and I’m a bit of a foodie.

4 Likes

Have not read, but I always choose Pop for solo when I can

I’ve stayed at all of them and I just feel that Pop feels like the most elevated of the value experiences, especially now with the Skyliner.

6 Likes

I’d vote for Pop also for a Disney value. But if I could get a relatively comparable price I’d do Dolphin. Maybe check express deals as you get closer?

5 Likes

For a solo trip I have always booked Pop. With the Skyliner now it is so easy to get to DHS & Epcot. Plus, have always had good bus service at Pop. Art of Animation is cute, but tends to have a lot of young children and a noisy foodcourt.

4 Likes

I will go w/ the cheapest… b/c value :wink: And usually All Stars are less than the rest, but I also like ASMovies too when no one else seems to . ASSports was fun to stay at recently though too.

4 Likes

I like Pop for Skyliner access. It’s better than AoA even though, at first glance, they both share the SL location. But all the standard (non-suite) rooms at AoA are only in the Little Mermaid section, which is the furthest distance from the SL and the front desk/food court/etc. At Pop, you have lots of buildings that are fairly close to the SL and front desk/food court with standard rooms. Easy to make a room request with “close enough” results.

5 Likes

What are these?

Is that even remotely possible? The cheapest Dolphin rooms started around $300 when I was there in April.

And honestly, I was wasn’t blown away by the Dolphin. The location and the pool were great, but I like novelty so I’m up for something new, even if it’s less lux.

1 Like

Be aware the hotel fee at Swan Dolphin was reportedly just raised to $40/nt

3 Likes

Room distance from transport and other infrastructure is important, so this is very helpful info, thanks!

3 Likes

adding to what others suggested, i like pop, too. i’ve had great experiences there and the rooms are great for one person. easy to get around and skyliner access definitely bumps it above the other values (at a cost, of course).

2 Likes

Yes if that matters avoid the little mermaid rooms. I was closer to Pop than to Skyliner when I stayed there. Never again.

2 Likes

I hate resort fees with a passion. They’re just a sneaky way of charging a higher room price. Should be illegal.

10 Likes

Priceline Express. @JJT is the keeper of info on that. You can find more info on this thread:

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/hotel-deals-research/48539/170

4 Likes

I almost always travel solo and I’ve never felt unsafe on Disney property. That time of year I’d probably choose Pop even at the premium price over All Star bc there’s less chance of Skyliner closings due to storms. The only resort I would say to not choose is Music unless you stay in a preferred room bc that layout is atrocious. 2nd worst rooms would be Little Mermaid at AoA bc those rooms are so far from the main building and transportation.

6 Likes

They do have high prices at peak times, but I’ve seen express deals that were pretty reasonable, 200 or less. We have a reservation for the week of Labor Day with AP rate for $265/nt including tax and fees at Swan; comparably we also have a res at POFQ for around the same price with the Disney+ discount. We stayed at Dolphin over Memorial Day weekend for $263/nt total, again AP rate.
By all means try out the values, we have stayed at Pop and ASMusic and they are perfectly adequate. Then big downsides for us are transportation (not as bad at Pop) and the lack of a slide at the pool. Also, if I’m traveling alone or just with my DDs I feel more comfortable with interior doors.

1 Like

Boo to that! But Disney builds their premium fees into the price. Just have to compare the totals and weigh them.

2 Likes

Oh definitely. Just a pretty significant spike from what I understand so if you don’t account for that it could be a costly mistake.

2 Likes

@ParkRanger in May I added on to an existing trip- knowing that the add on portion was completely solo I went specifically for lowest price per night available - price was important because I would have already @ been WDW 8 days on a last minute trip.

It turned out to be Sports standard with AP discount- unrenovated room.

It was fine!
My only complaint is lack of real coffee pot in room.

2 Likes

The Swolphin resort fee was $35 recently.

2 Likes

I recently booked Pop! for a solo trip I’m taking in September - it is the most affordable with the magical skyliner access (and that trip is mostly going to be Epcot, DHS). I really like the resort. Then Disney did the Disney+ special offer and the deal was too good to pass up - so basically they picked for me (options were limited) and I’m now at All-Star Sports. I’ve never stayed at an All-Star, so excited to try something new.
I say book at one, and then if a Discount Offer becomes available, switch to that!

4 Likes