What are the Nails on a Chalkboard Things that your Non-Disney Loving Friends and Relatives Say About WDW

HA HA HA. Star Wars vs Star Trek is almost even more unforgivable.

2 Likes

This right here is why it is nails on a chalkboard to hear people tease me. A few days ago, I was talking to my mom and she asked about the highlights of our recent trip. I got really excited to tell her we went on the Christmas version of Jungle Cruise and she laughed that it was a highlight for me. I have a very distinct memory of going on Jungle Cruise with my family when I was a young child, and we are a big group so we took up most of the boat if not had a boat for ourseleves, and I remember the adults laughing. LAUGHING! The ADULTS! To a kid, this was magical. Even my grandma, who was quite stoic, was laughing. And that is why Jungle Cruise is my favorite ride. Today, I absolutely enjoy myself on rides with my kids. I want them to have so many of those “wow, the ADULTS are having fun too!!!” moments. And, I genuinely have fun. That is not something that happens at many of our local theme parks, even the big ones, because there is kiddie land where the parents sit while the kids go on, and then there are the adult rides that the kids are either too little or not brave enough to go on. Last summer, I did get to go on a lot of coasters with my oldest son and nephew. But Disney is just so unique in this.

8 Likes

Mistaking Star Trek for Star Wars and Daffy Duck for Donald Duck are probably my two biggest annoyances!

4 Likes

This was one of my childhood dreams :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Forgive me, this meme comes to mind
b0e126e98dd4683354103eec0e9ff306

21 Likes

I was just thinking of that very meme!! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That’s a nice picture of Buck Rogers. Wish they had included his pet robot Muffit though.

4 Likes

Agree 100%
No matter what kids say nowadays Buck is still my favourite Doctor.

2 Likes

Yes! Not to mention his flying DeLorean, K.I.T.T.!

2 Likes

I used to have a co-worker who was outraged that her son got the “talk to the hand” gesture from Donald after loudly calling him Daffy. She said her kid isn’t interested in all that childish stuff but he knew every NHL player.
It was the only time she spoke about Disney but in general she was a font of nails on chalkboard utterances.

1 Like

And yet Disney fails to build an attraction for this guy.
With the popularity of the Princess Bride, you think they’d come up with something.
Very disappointing.

1 Like

Probably because they fear the Sleestaks are too scary perhaps?

1 Like

He did kind of travel through time and didn’t age.

2 Likes

In fairness, these stories are so similar and follow the “hero’s journey” form pretty well (excluding Star Trek which I’m not that familiar with).

• Young, scrawny male protagonist is an orphan taken in by an uncle

• Lives a mundane life before receiving a call to leave home for the first time to embark on an interesting quest

• Guided by a wise old white-haired mentor in a robe who almost died in fire that has deep knowledge about the hero’s family, the special power within the hero, and the task he must eventually accomplish

• Hero has friends to help him along the way, and in 2 of the 3, it’s one male and one female who end up together.

• Separate pair of comedy-relief sidekicks (Merry/Pippen, Fred/George, C3PO/R2D2)

• The hero has a very personal intimate connection with the main villain (at least in 2 of the 3), who also is considered a dark lord.

• The villains had all been defeated previous to the story beginning but have resurfaced and have relied on special magic/technology to remain alive.

• The villains are each the second dark lord of their story (Melkor/Morgoth, Grindelwald, Palpatine being the firsts).

• The hero finally learns the truth, understands his powers and where they come from, and defeats the villain and has matured and transformed himself in the process.

Cherry-picking similarities and ignoring some key differences, but still. A lot of other famous stories tend to follow this form as well, at least loosely.

5 Likes

My son is really into fantasy books right now. We’ve actually struggled to find ones that do NOT follow this pattern. I could add the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) and Arinthian Line series. It’s actually becoming a running joke with him.

Which actually makes confusing Star Trek and Star Wars even more egregious! Star Trek is really the odd story out here.

5 Likes

Ugh. I couldn’t make it through the first book, it is so incredibly derivative.

Jumping back to Buck Rogers for a moment…I would love to see a reimagining if Buck Rogers, keeping the happy go lucky main character, and not try to turn it into yet-another-dark-retelling-of-a-previously-beloved-sci-fi-story.

Battlestar Galactica and Lost in Space both come to mind. Let’s see some modern story tellers create a serious but fun future!

1 Like

Right?! It actually gets better after the first one… but still!

I have to give him some leeway, though. He’s 12. So he doesn’t see that it’s derivative yet.

Forgot to add:

• Set to an amazing and memorable soundtrack (would be even more remarkable if John Williams did LOTR too, but Howard Shore is no slouch and did a great job)
1 Like