What are the Nails on a Chalkboard Things that your Non-Disney Loving Friends and Relatives Say About WDW

There are two in particular that bug me for no good reason.

(1) My MIL calls DHS “MGM Studios”. It irritates me unless it is being used to refer to the park when it actually had that name.

(2) My Dad calls BTMR “The Rocky Mountain Express” … every time.

5 Likes

Calling the Magic Kingdom Disney World (as if there are no other parks).

12 Likes

Calling Disneyworld, Disneyland. Ha ha

11 Likes

That makes me crazy too.

2 Likes

“You’re going /again/?? Haven’t you done everything there is to do there by now??”

Umm, no, there are a million fun things to do, but most importantly, it’s just SO relaxing to be in a place where everything is designed with your comfort and happiness in mind.

And also, “Ugh but the food there is so bad!”

Well, it is if you don’t know where to eat. Go try the brunch at Cali Grill and then come talk to me.

16 Likes

My Dad does this kind of thing constantly, so we call them “Dadisms.”

The classic one is he calls “A Bug’s Life” (the movie) “It’s a Bug’s Life.” Kind of like a cross with “Its a Wonderful Life.”

6 Likes

That would really bug me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

AMEN! Totally true!!

My peeve:

I live closer to WDW than DLR, but have been trying to go to DLR since 2019. (stupid COVID! :laughing:)

When I tell ppl that I’m going to Disneyland they say. “Don’t you mean WORLD?”

No… I didn’t!! I know where I planned my own vacation!

Also… this is something my Dad always said when I was a kid & why we never went to DLR… It drove me nuts!

“Why go to DLR it’s so tiny! You could put it in WDW’s parking lot & still park plenty of cars!” :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

ISWYDT :+1:t2:

3 Likes

My husband does this on purpose. He refuses to call it Disney Studios. He’s not great with change.

6 Likes

Nothing overly bugs me. It is annoying when people ask me about Universal stuff when I say I’ve been to Disney World.

My parents call HS MGM studios, but that’s because the last time they were at that park, that’s what it was called. They also do this with DS, calling it Downtown Disney. It doesn’t bother me because that’s what sticks in their memory due to their experience.

3 Likes

I also refer to them as MGM and DTD often bc that is what my older relatives remember it as.
Actually, I usually use both the old and the new terms in a giant term to overlap.

A lot of people who don’t go to the parks don’t know the difference between Disney and Universal. But I would not know the difference in ski trails or fishing boats or other things people enjoy, so I don’t get bugged when people who haven’t been there don’t understand.

2 Likes

I forgot, he also calls Disney Springs DTD! :rofl:

2 Likes

Don’t know about you but I cried at the end when the circus bell rings and we knew Molt got his wings.

3 Likes

You have just hit on one of my peeves which is people calling it Disney Studios and especially using the abbreviation DS when that should mean Disney Springs. It’s Hollywood Studios and HS, or even DHS. Calling it MGM doesn’t bother me.

3 Likes

For some reason, even when it was called DTD, I still thought of it as Pleasure Island, even though that was only one part of DTD!

2 Likes

I don’t ever feel like DLR is tiny. I’m remember reading it has almost as many attractions as WDW they are just closer together. And this closer together I prefer. Plus different rides and better weather! Lol

6 Likes

When my relatives say: Nothing.

When my extended family found out I’m planning a trip to WDW in 2021, their stunned silence was grating.

7 Likes

You know, I almost never say Disney Studios, I usually say hollywood studios…I don’t even know why I said it just there!

2 Likes

As a kid, somehow I came to call it “Thunder Rock Mountain”. Yeah, I know, it doesn’t make any sense. Took a long time to correct that.

3 Likes