Weird new forum bug on mobile

Yes.

Please try not to use all the words at one time.

1 Like

@david , I don’t know where to put this so I am posting here. I am suddenly getting warnings that the forum is a unsafe site.

It pops up every time I refresh.

3 Likes

It is getting more direct….

To follow up: it is only on the Covid thread.

2 Likes

I wonder if the addition of ads, which one would click on to leave this site, makes this site “risky” by extension and less stable.

1 Like

Okay.

Thx

It is funny but I have not had one single ad show up.

2 Likes

I don’t have them either. Sometimes I can see a placeholder but rarely.

But I wonder if your browser knows there is intended to be ads?

Maybe- I would hate for people to stop using the site.

2 Likes

:100:

1 Like

I’ll tack on some forum weirdness for @david here: so far it is only happening on the WSJ article forum thread, but I have an empty overlay ad bar at the bottom of my screen on that post and thus can’t click on the Reply button:

I faked it out by using TAB to move to the Reply button behind the add and hitting the Enter key.

2 Likes

The “risky” thing warning is likely because some ad is loading some content via something other that HTTPS. I’ll ask the ad people about that. At some point certain browsers decided this was evil. I don’t see this, though, and you should not see any ads if your a subscriber.

I’ll alert our ad provider to this. We don’t want the scary browser warnings. Thanks!

3 Likes

That ad box should not be there for subscribers, in which case the Reply button would not be blocked. Thanks for reporting that!

2 Likes

@David, I have not had any ads. I am unsure if it is because of Safari or my profile. My “do not visit this website” alerts seem to only happen on the Covid thread and that title/thread is on part three with almost 30,000 posts total. This is new, as of today.

1 Like

Thanks. I also wonder whether some browsers might assume that a constantly loading page that includes the word “covid” a lot is a suspicious. Thanks for the additional details.

The ad support folks suggested that the error you are seeing about “unsafe” is coming from a Norton protection tool. Do you have something like that installed? Apparently Norton being paranoid is somewhat common, and it could be related to the content and/or behavior of that page.

2 Likes

@david, I do have Norton protection and have had it installed for almost one year. That particular thread is one I have logged dingo daily for all 9k posts (and the 20k on the part 1 and part 2 threads). These threads started in February 2020. (?). Something changed either here or on Norton today to alert me that this is not a safe website.

I, of course, ignore that message but if I am suddenly getting that message, others are too?

2 Likes

I am using this phrase from now on, I have no idea how, but I shall use it. :smiley:

8 Likes

That is kinda how my week is going. I am leaving it

6 Likes