Wdw home for NBA?

yes. NFL is being silent publicly. But starting up football will be extremely difficult. Especially college. And the football season wasn’t cut short. They are looking ahead, not looking to restart a stalled season.

But are they wearing shirts? THIS is the important question.

1 Like

October 12 is the proposed final date for the last finals game.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1267935074563039234?s=21

1 Like

I wonder if the negotiations include a revised 2020-2021 schedule?

And real football, by which I mean soccer, which is starting up again here in a couple of weeks to finish the 19-20 season that should have ended in May. No crowds, and they are probably not going to use all stadiums so they can limit travel to an extent.

1 Like

If we watch the video from the protests (only as much as you can stomach, of course) you will see there are people screaming and breathing in one another’s faces in some of the hardest hit cities in the country. Masks are rare it appears.
We will know pretty quickly if there’s actually any concerns for spikes, don’t you think?

If these protests don’t cause mass infections I’d think a lot of concerns for sports (Especially outdoor sports) will drop.

1 Like

Just doing a quick sampling, I’m actually seeing the opposite. Most of the protesters (the peaceful ones in the very least) seem to be wearing masks.

It would actually be interesting to have a robust handle on the percentage of protesters who are wearing masks and aren’t. I’m sure it will be regional, among other factors.

Regardless, if there is a spike due to protesters not wearing masks, it will become difficult to do contact tracing.

Oh - that’s interesting! It must have to do with which region it is in!

Houston had 60,000 for yesterday’s march with George Floyd’s family. Looks like maybe half were wearing masks.

ooookay so that’s a lot without.
time will tell for so much!

I’m not a major sports fan, but so many are. I had a patient last weekend watching baseball from 1986… Not much else is on on a Saturday afternoon, I guess.

1 Like

I miss listening to or watching baseball games on summer afternoons. It’s part of the sounds of summer for me.

We’ve been watching old games too.

4 Likes

My dad is 84 and losing his sight (macular degeneration). His biggest gripe right now is not isolating - he does that pretty much anyway - but no sports! He loves to watch (listen) to everything from golf to NBA to college footbal to baseball to whatever. I’ll be glad when he has something live to watch. I’ll be even more happy when I can see him again.

2 Likes

soccer

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticSCCR/status/1268194841663504390

NBA

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1268208853751136257

Not that anyone else cares about the Nuggets; butprobably an indication for other teams:

So the @nuggets

will probably report to a training camp at Pepsi Center around July 1, according to Michael Malone. #MileHighBasketball

Early in the lockdown MLB channel played the pine tar game. DH distracted me with nonesense and made me miss it. I was very, very mad. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Recently the two CU football championship games aired. I recorded and I’m going to make DS watch them with me. :smiley:

1 Like

So the NBA starts July 31 through October 12 and is staying at CSR

MLS will start June 24th, stay six weeks and will stay at Jambo House

2 Likes

@cherokee_jacket interesting. I wonder how many rooms MLS will need at Jambo. Would they close off the entire resort and move regular guests elsewhere, or let them stay (because let’s face it, most people are unlikely to recognize MLS players the way they would NBA).

ETA: I saw somewhere else that they’d recalled staff at the Mara and the pool bars, but not any of the TS restaurants at AKL yet. I’m thinking they will need to do so if they need to feed all these players and staff, right?

1 Like

Sure, the greater population would recognize NBA players over MLS players. However if we were going this summer, I would 100% try to get to AKL to see some soccer players, I mean for my DS14. :wink:

1 Like

They could allow families such as ours in EITHER case. I don’t think you could pay any of us money to recognize anyone from the NBA nor MLS. Well…I mean…at least with the NBA, you probably could ASSUME that if they are over 6’ 5", they are a player.

I think I would recognize Shaq, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. But, they are a year or two past their prime. :wink:

1 Like

The MLS plan calls for all teams (26 in total) to play in a round-robin tournament. Current MLS rules allow teams to have 30 players, making for a total of 780 players, not including coaches, support staff, league officials, etc.

NBA plan calls for 22 teams to play at WDW. The current roster limit is 15 players, for a total of 330 players, plus coaches, etc.

So about 1,000 rooms? I guess we’re all getting booted out of Jambo for the duration… (I am rescheduling my July trip, I just don’t know when we can do it, so I’ve been holding on to the reservation. They might make that decision for me though.)