Wdw home for NBA?

I have an AKL reservation for December, and would be very upset if I got moved. It’s our favorite resort and I booked it surgically bc I love it at Christmas time.
As of now, it’s still in my MDE, but that means almost nothing.

And I agree, it would be hard to close the bubble at AKL Jambo bc you can walk there from Kidani - and bc Kidani is DVC they contractually can’t close both resorts down. Would be hell to keep out groupies.

Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA) Tweeted:
Per Walt Disney World sources, Disney and the NBA have agreed that Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort is likely to be the primary host resort for the NBA when they resume the season. Sources say an agreement may be reached this week, which will allow preparations to move quickly. https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1267822267032977411?s=20

2 Likes

I think too that AKL Jambo simply isn’t opening with the DVC resorts. It doesn’t make sense to open the whole place for a handful of rooms.

Nor do I think NBA would get to use it.The ramifications for DVC are too great, especially if they want to start the season at WDW too.

What is entirely possible is that AKL will become the “upgrade” option for those from Coronado. And if that happens, the DVC rooms will open up again once some of the non-DVC resorts open.

2 Likes

I just saw this on another site! Do we know how many months its supposed to last? I have a CSR package for November…they could bump me to Deluxe and I probably won’t complain. lol

1 Like

I read an article on ESPN.com that the NBA was proposing various dates between Labor Day and November 1st. Sorry, don’t think you’ll get bumped up. :sob:

Anyone know when they’ll make a decision on this? Sorry, I’m a little late to the party lol. We go Nov 15th and TBH I’d really like it to all be over and done with before. Seems like a big headache lol.

NBA owners are scheduled to meet and vote on this on Thursday (6/4) afternoon.

Plan to start playing games mid- July (July 31st latest).

Plan to be completed at the absolute latest by November 1st.

1 Like

Why would it potentially take so long (Nov 1st)?? I though they only had basically the playoffs left, could they not condense it into a few weeks?? And yes I realize I sound like I have no clue what I am talking about - because I don’t lol, if you can’t tell I’m not sports/NBA follower

The end date could be as soon as Labor Day.

Teams have not played in three months. There will be some time for training and practice first.

They have not decided how many games to play, how many teams will be brought in. There is some talk of resuming the regular season with all 30 teams.

The usual NBA playoffs with 16 teams start in mid/late April and the final championship round is concluded in mid-June.

Keep in mind the 2019-2020 NBA season started in October. So as soon as they finish that, they’ll be looking at the 2020-2021 season.

1 Like

That’s supposed to be at WDW as well??? (The 20-21 season)

Nothing’s been said that I’m aware of. But they’ve got to come up with something.

1 Like

I think NASCAR has started up with no crowds. As far as I know the NFL is moving forward as usual. I don’t see why the NBA can’t just do no crowd games for 20-21. I don’t see any reason they would need to stay at Disney.

1 Like

In that case, why use Disney at all? From a spread risk, this summer is likely less risky than the fall. It’s not like the arenas are being used for anything else, I’d imagine. I’m just thinking whatever factors played into this decision might still be valid in the fall.

1 Like

I THINK the reason is because they are concerned about having the players coming and going freely, then spreading it among the team. At Disney, they are isolated entirely from the outside world…including themselves going out and partying etc!

4 Likes

There are 2 separate concerns.

One is at a public health level, of stadium crowds creating a super spreader event and putting whole communities in danger. This one can be avoided playing no crowd games.

The other is players’ and necessary staff health, and the risk for people surrounding them. They have a strong enough union that they won’t be forced to play without having a setup in place that they feel comfortable with.

Great question! I have no idea other than that they want a “bubble”. Other leagues don’t seem as concerned.

1 Like

Sweaty men running into each other constantly and breathing heavy heavily into each other’s faces (I worked hard to make this as non double entendre sounding as possible).

Nascar guys in their own individual tin cans. Although how is the pit crew situation being handled? All teams using Guidos from Cars*?

*I assume everyone know Guido here, and that I’m not being culturally insensitive (which would be against myself).

2 Likes

Football has the same though.

1 Like